+ Reply
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 89101112 20 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [OFFICIAL] Are You Jailbreakable? - iP4S, iP4 GSM/CDMA, iP3GS, iP3G, & iP2G

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Don't want to get in the middle of anything but Annie is not a he fellas. AFAIK anyway
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,120 Times in 6,945 Posts

Don't want to get in the middle of anything but Annie is not a he fellas. AFAIK anyway

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Prothean (10-27-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Thanks for the useful comment x98car lol no really tho, thanks for clarifying.

Thanks

No prob

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh snap, apologies, madam Anniex, was not my intention to address you as a man. My thanks, x98car, for saving me from further embarrassment.

Yes : D The sim card is official, with the carrier "3" on a thirty dollar plan $150 call credit and 1 gb of data and roughly a years time til contract expiration : )

If you've any questions you need but ask and thank you kindly for everything - I'm much in your debt.

Thanks

Ok Prothean, follow these steps alright?

1) go to Cydia and install Spirit2pwn
    2) open iTunes and sync (back up any photos or contacts manually because you'll be losing those since we won't be restoring from back up to avoid problems). Right-click your device and select "transfer purchases" as well. Your jailbreak apps will be lost too, so write them down.
    3) after backing everything up, go to iH8sn0w and download Sn0wbreeze.
    4) go to felixbruns.de and download a stock 4.1 ipsw for your device.
    5) open Sn0wbreeze and select your 4.1 stock ipsw.
    6) go into Expert mode by the way
    7) go into the menu and you'll find things you can select/checkmark. Since you have the official carrier's SIM, DO NOT select "activate". You can choose to select anything else you want (of course get Cydia for sure) like wallpaper, multitask, Winterboard, etc.
    8) finish building your custom firmware. It will take some time.
    9) when that's done, it will be saved to your desktop.
    10) open up iTunes and hold shift and click restore. Select the custom 4.1 firmware you made (make sure it isn't the stock one or else you'll lose ability to unlock).
    11) iTunes should finish the restore and bring you to the emergency call screen.
    12) insert your SIM (if it's already in that's fine) and open iTunes. It will activate your device now.
    13) you should now be able to get into your phone and find Cydia.

You're done! Don't install the unlock (ultrasn0w) until you need it. It's just an extra thing that you don't need right now and could possibly interfere with your legit SIM and carrier service. But when you do need the unlock, just install Ultrasn0w from Cydia.

If you run into any problems, feel free to let me know.

Edit: I forgot, after you've activated your device (step 12) you have the choice to restore from back up or set up as new. To avoid problems, you'll set up phone as new. Resync to iTunes to get all your apps and music back on. Your photos and contacts you'll have to put back in. If you back up your contacts in like Yahoo contacts, Google Contacts, or Microsoft Outlook and so on, resync to the program(s) to get contacts back in. For photos, I'm not so sure how to get them back in correctly. If you copy and paste into the device via SSH or thru the regular USB drive in your computer drive, it should show up. I've had problems with this tho as all the thumbnails show up as blank and black. So you might wanna look up how to put your photos back in manually.

Edit 2: I realize you can sync the photos from iTunes to your iPhone, but of course it saves as a new folder and you can't delete them off the phone without syncing to iTunes. If you find no options to get them back on the camera roll, just sync from iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by willpower101 View Post
    Then I realized you're just being passive aggressive for some reason.

As a full time senior with two internships I guarantee that I have at least as much if not more on my plate than you do. So I understand, but that's still no reason to be an a.ss to anyone here. If you don't want to answer a stupid question or update a pdf then don't. Move on. We understand. But don't whine about it. Someone with more free time will eventually come along.
    I just noticed this

I'm gonna be mature and tell you I'm not the one whining. I am starting to get how the devs feel. Trying to develop things for end users to jailbreak and unlock their devices, and then they get "those" people who complain why it's not updated, why it hasn't come out, why it's so irritating that the devs are holding onto the tools when they've shown success vids. I'm not a big time developer, but I know my way around iPhones and iPod Touches. What I don't know my way around is why there are people who come around acting like they're all that, and do nothing. That I can't explain. I don't know if you're inobservant or what, but I'm hardly an @ss. I'm more than willing to delve into posts that require help. I just don't like people who waltz around here saying things like "why not update" when they don't bother to start a new post and do it themselves. It's a question that doesn't need to be asked if the inquirer isn't going to do the work.

I'm sure you'll find this thread to be more helpful than not. I might not have a lot of time to be on my computer so I can attach new files, but I sure have time to answer any questions (that haven't been already answered in the original post) and help anybody out on my phone. By the way, the post has been updated. A new PDF file for 4.1 for iPhones and iPod Touch. Just thought I'd say that here since there are people who would rather just scroll all the way down and open the PDF instead of reading the original post updates and then go off saying information is missing when it isn't.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 10-27-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

Prothean (10-28-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

alright i just read this whole thing and i feel like i just read an alien language.....
    right now i have an iphone 3G 4.0.2 on 5.13.04 and its been unlocked and jailbroken for a couple months now on tmobile. but ever since i unlock/jb it, it has been super slow to do everything and anything on it. can't play games, use the internet, and even texting is super slow. so i thought if i restore it to new and redo it with the newer updates it would help the freezing/slow problems ive been having with it. is this the guide i should be using? i have redsnow 0.9.5b5-5 on my computer. is that what i should use or something different??

Thanks

Updating to 4.1 should fix the lag. Check out the PDF for 4.1.

Go to iPhone 3G. It covers what you can do if you need to maintain your unlock. If you have further questions about how to update to 4.1, I'll be glad to answer them.

Green Apple
    Thanks

but i thought i cant have it unlocked and jailbroken on 4.1....because under the table you made it says NO across the board under iphone 3g/fw 4.1

Thanks

There's a new PDF updated for 4.1

It's titled "jailbreak guide for 4.1"
    Last edited by i.Annie; 10-28-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great guides thanks Annie!

Another dumb question. I JB'd/unlocked my 3GS using blackrain & I forget the unlock method. Anyway, I never used the unlock and have been and probably will keep using AT&T. Afraid of losing unlimited data plan.

Is there any reason I would need to keep it unlocked? I was thinking in the off event I leave the country it would be nice to slip in a new sim of the area I'm visiting but other than that no plans to go t-mobile.

And if I do go with standard upgrade to 4.1 and no unlock. In the future, will I be able to unlock? I understand my baseband will be upgraded using stock 4.1. Just wondering if in say a year or so I want to unlock I can go ahead and do it. But then again, in a year I would probably have a new phone and my contract will be up. So they would have to give me unlock code.

PS - I know this is a long post but I have had success in past with calling AT&T international to get unlock code with other phones (htc tilt) when travelling. Just wondering if that's still the case with folks who have the iPhone.

cheers!

Thanks

I'm not sure if AT&T will do the same for the iPhone. I feel they might offer you a roaming plan instead. I can't be sure tho.

I can assure you, if you don't plan on travelling abroad within the next 6-12 months, you'll either have a new phone or a new unlock ready. If you don't have plans to go out of the country, upgrading straight to 4.1 would be your fastest and easiest way to jb on iOS 4.

If you really wanna be safe and keep the baseband, your only option if new boot 3GS is Pwnagetool. If old boot, still use custom fw but you get to use Sn0wbreeze if you don't have a Mac.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about preserving the baseband if you don't plan to go outta the country over the next two or three months.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beccajane View Post
    Whats the reason that the 3g is so hard to jailbreak?

It seems there are various types of software available to jailbreak every kind of firmware and phone other than the 3g & firmware 4.1.

Frustrating!!

I know theres things like Snowbreeze & Redsnow, but i always have trouble with these. I follow the steps to a t, download the correct firmware to downgrade to e.g 3.1.2, but when it comes to the step 'browse for firmware', although i have correctly saved the firmware into my documents, the Snowbreeze/Redsnow programme says it cannot find it, or it is incorrect.

I'm definately downloading the right file, .ipsw, so i'm completely baffeled as to what it is im doing wrong?!!

A little help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advanced.

BUMP!!

Since posting this comment, i have downloaded the correct Redsn0w software (Redsn0w 0.9.6 beta 1)... and the correct firmware (iPhone1,2_4.1_8B117_Restore.ipsw)

But... im still being hit with the same problem as above.

i do everything exact to the instructions of how to use the software, but when i click the firmware to process, it throws up a message saying 'unable to recognize specified IPSW'.

Getting rather annoyed with this now, as ive searched the web & seems im really doing nothing wrong at all.... ANY IDEAS?

really frustrating

HELP NEEDED! PLEAASEEEEE!

Thanks

Use redsn0w 0.9.6b2

Or get Sn0wbreeze if you have continuous problems with Redsn0w

16. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

beccajane (11-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puma.leaf View Post
    Use redsn0w 0.9.6b2

Or get Sn0wbreeze if you have continuous problems with Redsn0w

Just downloaded redsn0w 0.9.6b2 - same problem

What version of sn0wbreeze do i need??

Thanks for your help btw

Thanks very much to puma.leaf

I now have a successfully jailbroken 3g 4.1

Redsn0w - loada crap..

Sn0breeze FTW
    Last edited by beccajane; 11-09-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Lol glad it worked out one way or the other for you

Thanks

Any guide that promotes Sn0wbreeze as a viable jailbreaking tool is not one that I'd use.
    I'll stick to 'official' tools from people that know what they are doing rather than ones from this 'official' guide, thank you.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Any guide that promotes Sn0wbreeze as a viable jailbreaking tool is not one that I'd use.
    I'll stick to 'official' tools from people that know what they are doing rather than ones from this 'official' guide, thank you.
    Sn0wbreeze may not be a viable solution in your eyes but for some people it is there only option. So coming on to someone's thread who has helped a lot of people on this forum and disrespecting her is not cool. Maybe if the dev team had put out a pwnage tool alternative for windows we could all suggest that. But they haven't. So until then people on this forum will continue to suggest the tools that can help people regardless of personal feelings towards the developer. That is what this forum is about, helping people.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

i.Annie (11-14-2010)

Thanks

Then don't use my guide some people like x98car can only use Sn0wbreeze. Before I sold my 3G, I had to use Sn0wbreeze because my power button is broken and couldn't get my power button to work for Redsn0w.

Don't use my guide, I'm not forcing you to. PwnageTool is also included as a jb tool in this guide. So I don't see what there is to hate on. I've included instructions for using PwnageTool for Windows and Mac. But sure, whatever you say.

Thanks

You are referring to the early days of sn0wbreeze when one of his builds allowed the baseband to be updated. That was unfortunate but has not happened since. So dwelling on that seems kinda pointless now. As for not being a stable jailbreak the same has been said about redsn0w lately...

It just seems to me that some of the Dev Team and some of their followers are holding a big grudge against iH8snow. While I do agree with the points that have been made about him in the past (not giving proper credit etc.) the fact of the matter is he stepped up and filled a hole that needed to be filled in the jailbreaking community. He obviously should have done it in a better way and got approval and maybe even help from the Dev Team in doing so (kinda like how cmw did for winpwn back in the day) but that doesn't mean that sn0wbreeze or any of his other tools cannot be useful to the jailbreaking community.

Thanks

His tools are still causing problems and can not be recommended by anyone who cares for other peoples phones. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.