+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Can I Downgrade/Upgrade/Unlock/Jailbreak and what are SHSH Thread

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
This thread is designed to answer the questions that are popping up every day about downgrading/updating/jailbreaking/unlocking/SHSH. Mods if you want to make this a sticky that would be great. There
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 7,004 Posts

Default The Can I Downgrade/Upgrade/Unlock/Jailbreak and what are SHSH Thread
    This thread is designed to answer the questions that are popping up every day about downgrading/updating/jailbreaking/unlocking/SHSH. Mods if you want to make this a sticky that would be great.

There is also an excellent thread here for easy access to see if you can jailbreak or not: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/729...breakable.html

I have 4.1 on my iPhone 4/3GS/3G, can I jailbreak?

Yes, use limera1n: http://limera1n.com/
    For iPhone 3G use redsn0w 0.9.6

For more jailbreak info check these links:
    Dev-Team Blog
    Chronic Dev Blog
    There are links on those two blogs to the various members on twitter.

About SHSH

A good explanation of SHSH is here: http://www.saurik.com/id/12
    Basically it is a certificate of sorts that apple gives your device when trying to restore to a certain firmware. Cydia can store these for you and allow you to use them to downgrade when you need to.There are 3 ways to obtain SHSH for your device:
    1: When jailbroken open cydia and press the “make my life easier” that pops up when you first open it.
    2: Edit your hosts files as detailed in that link above from Saurik.
    3: Use tiny umbrella, a guide on how to use tiny umbrella to save your SHSH and use them to downgrade can be found here: http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725...e-restore.html

Once Apple stops signing a certain firmware you cannot save your SHSH for that firmware anymore. Currently Apple is only signing 4.1. So even if not jailbroken tiny umbrella can be used to save your SHSH for 4.1 so that when a jailbreak does come out you will always be able to restore to 4.1 even if a new firmware comes out (4.2 is dropping in November supposedly).
    Some facts about SHSH:
    1: You do not need to be jailbroken to save SHSH.
    2: You do not need to be on a certain firmware to save SHSH for that firmware. You can be on 3.1.3 and just as easily save SHSH for 4.1 with tiny umbrella.
    3: Once one of these 3 methods is used to save SHSH cydia will automatically save SHSH for all future firmwares when possible. So even if you think you do not have SHSH it is always recommended to download tiny umbrella and check just to be sure.
    4: SHSH are device specific. They cannot be transferred from one device to another.

What devices need SHSH:

iPhone 4/3GS/3G
    iPod Touch 4G/3G/2G
    iPad
    Exceptions to this rule apply to iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G. They only require SHSH for firmware 4.0 and up. For lower than this putting the iphone in dfu and restoring should suffice.
    Also there are ways around it if you have a iPhone/iPod jailbroken (old bootrom only for 3GS) by redsn0w/pwnage tool/sn0wbreeze then they can be restored to a custom 4.0/4.1 firmware without the need for SHSH.

Again a more in depth guide about How to downgrade/upgrade is detailed here:
    http://modmyi.com/forums/general/725...e-restore.html

Can I unlock?

If you have upgraded to 4.1 in iTunes then your baseband has been upgraded. There is no unlock for this new baseband. If unsure go to settings-general-about and scroll down until you see modem firmware. If it says 05.14.02 (iPhone 3G/3GS) or 02.10.04 (iPhone 4) then you cannot unlock until a new unlock is released which at this point is not looking very likely for the foreseeable future. If you are on a lower firmware and are jailbroken you can install ultrasn0w from cydia to unlock.
    There is no way to dowgrade your baseband on these devices with the sole exception of first run iPhone 3G that have the 5.8 bootloader. To see what bootloader you have downgrade to a firmware that can be jailbroken.

Easiest way to do this is downgrade to 3.1.2(iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download). Put the iPhone 3G in dfu mode (iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode), download the 3.1.2 firmware and shift-click (windows) or option-click (Mac) restore to it. You will get a 1015 error near the end of the restore. Download tiny umbrella (The Firmware Umbrella) and press the “kick device out of recovery” button and your device should boot up. Now use redsn0w 0.9.2 (redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team]) to jailbreak and activate the device. Open cydia, install any updates you may need then search for fuzzyband. This will tell you if you have the 5.8 bootloader and will downgrade your baseband if you do. If you don’t you are out of luck for now.

iPhone 3G can always be downgraded and jailbroken using the appropriate version of Redsn0w:
    For 3.1.2/3.1.3 Use: redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team] and point it to 3.1.2 firmware even if on 3.1.3 (redsn0w 0.9.4 is the more up to date version for 3.1.3)
    For 4.0/4.0.1/4.0.2 Use: redsn0w 0.9.5 BETA [iPhone Dev Team] and point it to the 4.0 firmware. (redsn0w 0.9.6 released for Mac can jailbreak 4.1)

4.1 can be jailbroken by redsn0w 0.9.6 (Mac and Windows) or Sn0wbreeze2.0.2 (windows) on a iPhone 3G.
    Also VERY important is if you are stuck on 4.0.2 on iPhone 4/3GS and are thinking, “hey there is no jailbreak I might as well go to 4.1 and wait for it.” DO NOT DO THIS if you ever want to unlock as your baseband will be updated so even when the jailbreak comes out you will not be able to unlock. Best thing to do is leave it at 4.0.2 and wait for the new jailbreak to come out and a method of how to update and jailbreak without updating your baseband is achieved. There is a method for iPhone 4 only with using tiny umbrella to update that will preserve your baseband which is detailed on the tiny umbrella blog. However at this point I still suggest wait it out at 4.0.2 just to be on the safe side until the new jailbreak is released.

Jailbreaks and the firmware/devices they work on:

limera1n: iPhone 4/3GS, iPod Touch 4G/3G all on 4.0-4.1, iPad 3.2.2
    Jailbreakme.com: All iDevices on any firmware from 3.1.2-4.0.1. This is the most current official released jailbreak and probably the easiest to use.
    Blackra1n: All iDevices at 3.1.2
    Redsn0w: iPhone 2G/3G, iPod Touch 1G/2G (MB model only for iPod Touch 2G). See which version to use for which firmware above.
    Spirit: All iDevices on 3.1.3
    pwnage tool: iPhone 3GS (old bootrom only), iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2G (MB model only). Older version for 3.1.3 also supported iPhone 2G/iPod touch 1G.
    Sn0wbreeze: Same as pwnage tool
    To see how to use these tools please do a search of the forum or go to www.iclarified.com which has many tutorials and a jailbreaking wizard to guide you through the whole process.

Also if you are new to the forum PLEASE use the search feature at the top right to try and find the info you are looking for before starting a new thread and asking your question. If after searching you cannot find the answer you are looking for, fair enough, ask away and there are numerous helpful people on this forum that would be glad to help, myself included.

I take no credit for any of the tools talked about here, I am not a programmer/dev/hacker. I am a simple user who has had an iPhone since the very first one came out 3 years ago and have learned and collected all the info I could as I went along. If I can learn all this stuff so can you ☺
    If anyone has anything else to add/correct please feel free.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Aldog18 (10-05-2010), dhamien (09-18-2010), dt0theh (09-18-2010), eyeRobot (10-05-2010), foreveraudio (09-18-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey x98car I did look around the forum for a long time before I created my thread, but I couldn't find a solution to my problem.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Nice post, x98car hopefully fewer new posts will pop up now that all these questions are answered here.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

That's my hope

Thanks

Updated to include Anniex423 post about determining if you are jailbreakable

I come from a land down under (Australia)
    Thanks

Great post! Thank you for sharing
    Can I play with madness?
    Follow me on twitter
    If you like what I say, hit the button, you know which one

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Good post, hope this gets stickied. Most of the stickies here are pretty out of date, and so many of the same questions get asked over and over here.

By the way one thing you neglected to mention is in the "What devices require SHSH?" section, 3GS old bootrom doesn't require SHSH to go from iOS 3.x up to iOS 4/4.0.1/4.0.2 with custom firmware. Even though you mentioned this later it might be worth adding it to that section too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bellyfrog For This Useful Post:

Simon (10-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a quick question? I have never used Tiny Unbrella before but my Iphone 3GS is jailbroke running 4.3.1 on baseband 06.15.00 can I save the SHSH Blobs now or is it to late. My phone is working great and don't want to restore it or anything like that. From reading things now I hear that you should always back them up.

Thanks

You can get the 4.3.1 SHSH directly off the device using iFaith. You can also save 4.1 SHSH still as Apple is still signing 4.1 for 3GS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In my tiny umbrella program I have overwite existing SHSH files on "SAVE SHSH" CHECKED. Should I have Save ALL Avilable SHSH check? If it makes any difference I'm using a mac

Thanks

Ya, that can be checked

To get your 4.1 SHSH make sure the option that says "request SHSH from cydia" is not checked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK just to make my self confident doing this now is no way going to mess up my jailbreak or unlock that I have running the 06.15.0 baseband? I have to have my phone unlocked the jailbreak is a great bonus. See I'm a american living in S America and my iPhone is my life line to back home. Thank you.

Thanks

Tiny umbrella will not harm your phone in any way. Saving SHSH is totally safe.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

one last thing If I request SHSH blobs from apple is it going to change my iPad baseband 06.15.00 that I have on my 3GS? Also should I sync my iphone before I run tiny umbrella?

Thanks

No. Saving SHSH will not change anything on your phone.