Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone??

Thank you so much! I deleted the "Itunescdb" file because i don't have the "ItunesDB" file. When I restarted itunes, my ipod touch 4th gen with iOS 5.0 is successfully syncing!! thanks to all you!
    I started to get the error "Itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone. Go to the summary tab in IPhone preferences and click restore to restore this iphone to factory settings" when I deliberately halted the syncing of my iPod because I needed to be somewhere. While it is still syncing, i clicked the "x" button many times and closed iTunes without properly ejecting my iPod.
    Lesson Learned:Do not shortcut everything. It messes up things..

Thanks again guys!

Default okay....
    so i just had this problem with my Jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 4.2.1

deleted the iTunesDB and iTunesCDB and the iTunes Music so im back to clean filespace. Synced phone to itunes added about 30 tracks.

next day... i try to sync again... and i get the same error AGAIN. even though i got it working the previous day... do i have to clear the itunesdb and cdb EVERY time i need to sync my phone to itunes? whats the underlying cause? am i doing something wrong?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scc4fun View Post
    FYI, this worked for me. I had not synced my phone in quite some time otherwise I would likely just restore to iOS 5.0.

I deleted iTunesCDB from /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/. I used iFile to do it directly on my iPhone. I had been able to view all the music on my phone previous to this. I also deleted all the folders under Music (F00 through F49). This got rid of most of the Other that iTunes was showing.

I am currently re-syncing my phone.

iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) running iOS 4.1 Jailbroken
    iTunes 10.5.0.142 (latest version as of October 30, 2011)
    Windows XP
    FYI, these same instructions work with my
    iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) now running iOS 5.0 Jailbroken.
    iTunes 10.5.1.42 (latest version as of December 4, 2011) on Windows XP

I have deleted the iTunesCDB file from /private/var/moblie/Media/iTunes_control/iTunes. I have also deleted all of the folders from my music file. iTunes still tells me that i have 8gb of other data. Am I missing a step? Where else would my music data be stored?

i just purchase a second hand iphone 3gs 16gb and i turned it on to follow the set up guide. the first screen is select country the next screen is select region the next enable location services, i did al these then the next step it says to connect to itunes. Then when i try this itunes says "itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone" then it offers you to restore the iphone which i have tried but still not working.
    Any ideas please?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,069 Times in 6,151 Posts

^ What is on the screen now? Is it in Recovery Mode ("connect to iTunes" screen or black screen, or normal screen?)
    You may have to put the phone in DFU mode to restore.

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ^ What is on the screen now? Is it in Recovery Mode ("connect to iTunes" screen or black screen, or normal screen?)
    You may have to put the phone in DFU mode to restore.
    it just goes back to the start of the set up page "slide to set up"
    what is DFU mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Try this. I couldn't find my old post here to help but could try this.

-- snip --
    I registered for this forum solely to say thank you for this incredibly helpful post. After a week of searching forum threads all over the intertubes, I was finally able to backup & sync (and load music) onto my old iPhone 3G that I jailbroke & unlocked (running iOS 3.1.3/Whited00r 5.1) last week for him to use essentially as an iPod Touch. So, thank you. You are a damn fine human being.
    Last edited by jrcchicago; 09-08-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: left something out.

Quote Originally Posted by jrcchicago View Post
    I registered for this forum solely to say thank you for this incredibly helpful post. After a week of searching forum threads all over the intertubes, I was finally able to backup & sync (and load music) onto my old iPhone 3G that I jailbroke & unlocked (running iOS 3.1.3/Whited00r 5.1) last week for him to use essentially as an iPod Touch. So, thank you. You are a damn fine human being.
    Cool bud!

Hopefully you will find our site more useful then most of the other ones floating around the Net..

I FIGURED IT OUT!! i think the issue is your DBversion is set to "4" instead of "5".....that's what my issue was.

Navigate to /system/library/CoreServices and look for a file named "Checkpoint.xml"

Open it and scroll down until you see a key listed <key>DBversion</key>

the value should be an <integer> and will look like <integer>4</integer>

change this value to 5.

Reboot your iDevice and sync as usual.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123