Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Itunes cannot read the contents of the iphone??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MavRush808 View Post
    I had the same problem after deleting "iTunes CDB file"

"This happened to my 3GS iOS 4.1 - here's the solution.

* Downloaded i-FunBox which gives you control of the iPhone’s file system from your computer
    * Searched the file system for a file entitled iTunesDB. It appeared as 0 bytes and resides in a folder ending iTunes_Control\iTunes
    * Delete it
    * Disconnected the iPhone from the PC
    * Reconnected

On iOS4, the file you need to delete is iTunesCDB

BUT it doesn't end there. Deleting this database files ORPHANS all your music and video files. Meaning, your files are still in your iPhone occupying space but iTunes now doesn't know what they are so if you check your iTunes Summary all these are listed is OTHERS and not MUSIC or VIDEOS.

After doing the above, you have to delete ALL your videos and music files inside the iphone using iFunbox or SSH manually. If not, this is all wasted space in your iphone. The music and video files are STILL THERE but itunes does not know what they are because you deleted the DB file.

You will find music and video files in /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/

delete all folders with music video files in them...

RESYNC to get back all your music and video files and recreate your iTunes DB file."
    thanks buddy, I got same problem. I deleted itunesDB then I can sync but all the music still there but showing 0 file when play. Have to delete all music out from folder music then re_sync and everyhting back to normal now.

Quote Originally Posted by MavRush808 View Post
    I had the same problem after deleting "iTunes CDB file"

"This happened to my 3GS iOS 4.1 - here's the solution.

* Downloaded i-FunBox which gives you control of the iPhone’s file system from your computer
    * Searched the file system for a file entitled iTunesDB. It appeared as 0 bytes and resides in a folder ending iTunes_Control\iTunes
    * Delete it
    * Disconnected the iPhone from the PC
    * Reconnected

On iOS4, the file you need to delete is iTunesCDB

BUT it doesn't end there. Deleting this database files ORPHANS all your music and video files. Meaning, your files are still in your iPhone occupying space but iTunes now doesn't know what they are so if you check your iTunes Summary all these are listed is OTHERS and not MUSIC or VIDEOS.

After doing the above, you have to delete ALL your videos and music files inside the iphone using iFunbox or SSH manually. If not, this is all wasted space in your iphone. The music and video files are STILL THERE but itunes does not know what they are because you deleted the DB file.

You will find music and video files in /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/

delete all folders with music video files in them...

RESYNC to get back all your music and video files and recreate your iTunes DB file."
    I am wondering of I can do all of this with ifile from my iPhone or do I have to connect to the computer? Does this process end up making doubles of your apps as well as music, podcasts, ringtones etc. If so can I just delete all these files before it can even make doubles?

Sweet I got a JB 3GS on 4.2. I was able to make this work on my phone using ifile without connecting it to the computer. Worked like a charm. Thanx for everyones help

thank you so much for ur help. omg i almost lost the hope but with ur help i really get back on track ... GREAT details and info....

Quote Originally Posted by Jexo Jahanxeb View Post
    hye brother,
    i want to sync my iphone
    but it is not syncing
    it says cannot load your iphone, to load open the summary bar and restore to factory settings..
    please help me out
    i have 4.2 version iphone 3gs
    What i did is used copytrans control centere to log into my iphone. Then deleted one of my songs and then updated the iphone 4 in copy trans. That fixed the database file and allowed it to be normal in itunes.

now somebody help me with my call forwarding message problem . In a nice easy way.

Ok so now I'm having a problem with apps only. I can remove them no problem but not add them.
    When I add apps and then sync, from the computer they appear to be on the phone. As I look on the phone they are not there.
    As soon as the sync is done I get an error message saying those perticular apps can't sync because of an unknown error.
    I can't download apps or updates either. When I try to it will go through the download and install process. Followed by a message saying the I can continue the download once I log into iTunes on my computer.
    I have attempted this numerous times and keep getting the same problems.
    I've checked my iTunes account for any password or account discrepancies on the phone AND computer while on wifi. Nothing is out of order.
    Not sure what to do at this point besides a restore...which I don't want to do:/

Quote Originally Posted by switch-it View Post
    Just wanted to add that deleting iTunesDB didn't do it for me. I instead deleted iTunesCDB too and now i'm able to sync. Thanks
    I just wanted to say thanks very much for this bit of info! I had to do the same! Life saver!

Default confused
    Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Try this. I couldn't find my old post here to help but could try this.

"download and install i-funbox i-FunBox | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transfer Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch via USB Connect your iPhone, Go and find “iTunesDB” using i-funbox and delete it, Open iTunes on your PC\Mac"

Or this if you don't have funbox

"Using iPhone Explorer (or via SSH into the phone), I deleted “/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB” database file and then re-started iTunes. All was well."
    I'm kind of new at this file stuff. Ever since jail breaking my first 2G iPod touch I've stayed away from this stuff and now it looks i'm going to have to do it. I have a 3G iPod Touch updated to 4.3.3 jailbreak and am also getting that message. How do I access that file to delete it. If somebody could help me it would be GREAT. Thanks im SOL right now and want to sync my music. Very worried but found some relief after reading this post. Somebody please help

Quote Originally Posted by riverski View Post
    I'm kind of new at this file stuff. Ever since jail breaking my first 2G iPod touch I've stayed away from this stuff and now it looks i'm going to have to do it. I have a 3G iPod Touch updated to 4.3.3 jailbreak and am also getting that message. How do I access that file to delete it. If somebody could help me it would be GREAT. Thanks im SOL right now and want to sync my music. Very worried but found some relief after reading this post. Somebody please help
    I'm not sure how much info you need - can you tell us a little more about the help you require? Do you know how to SSH into your phone? Do you know what SSHing is for that matter?

I assume from your post that you are new to all this - I want to check though before posting an enormous load of text that you don't need!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyhero View Post
    I'm not sure how much info you need - can you tell us a little more about the help you require? Do you know how to SSH into your phone? Do you know what SSHing is for that matter?

I assume from your post that you are new to all this - I want to check though before posting an enormous load of text that you don't need!
    I have iFile but don't know how to use it. Cydia says i have SHSH for 3.1.3 4.0 4.0.2 4.1 4.2.1 4.3 4.3.3, is there an easy way to revert back to 4.2.1 otherwise i was able to find the iTunes DB file and delete it, I can sync now but I have to do that every time, would going back to 4.2.1 even help. I'm not really sure what this all means what that really means, thanks for the attempted help

Basically all I want to do is have a smooth sync with iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by riverski View Post
    I have iFile but don't know how to use it. Cydia says i have SHSH for 3.1.3 4.0 4.0.2 4.1 4.2.1 4.3 4.3.3, is there an easy way to revert back to 4.2.1 otherwise i was able to find the iTunes DB file and delete it, I can sync now but I have to do that every time, would going back to 4.2.1 even help. I'm not really sure what this all means what that really means, thanks for the attempted help

Basically all I want to do is have a smooth sync with iTunes
    So you have to delete iTunes DB every time?!

When I had this problem, I had to delete the DB and CBD file, then clear out the iTunes_control folders on the iPhone as the music was still there but the phone couldn't read it. Then I had to sync all the music again.

If you want to roll back your firmware that's fairly straightforward - there's guides on this site and others to help you (I've only done it once so can't remember off the top of my head!)

thanks alot! this worked for me

as of 2nd august, 2011, it works like a charm...
    on iPhone 4, i needed to delete both the files (iTunes.DB & iTunes.CDB)
    Last edited by MrHanjrah; 08-02-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Try this. I couldn't find my old post here to help but could try this.

"download and install i-funbox i-FunBox | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transfer Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch via USB Connect your iPhone, Go and find “iTunesDB” using i-funbox and delete it, Open iTunes on your PC\Mac"

Or this if you don't have funbox

"Using iPhone Explorer (or via SSH into the phone), I deleted “/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/iTunesDB” database file and then re-started iTunes. All was well."
    I have the same problem.

i downloaded i-funbox but all it downloaded from the link was flv player or something and i downloaded iphone explorer onto my pc and it doesn't let me delete anything on the iphone.

i've rang apple support and they said it will cost me £25 to fix this problem.

can anyone help me resolve this issue.

thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

flv player? It downloads fine for me. Comes as a .zip file, unzip it and it is a .exe.

how do i find the file i need to delete in order to get it to work

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

cer0 has given you the path of the file already in his post

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iTunes cannot read contents of iPhone
    i am trying to sync my iPhone 3gs with iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken to iTunes 10.1 and receives the same error. difference is my iPhone does not have anything in it but my iTunes does. what happened was i accidentally deleted a cydia file update causing my SIM to be unrecognizable. now it's working fine it's just i can't sync the two. what possibly can be done? thanks in advance.

First off, before anyone starts messing with their device, a little tip: Don't delete, copy then delete. It makes backtracking possible.

So I deleted itunesdb first since i didn't read all the way down. no dice. then i tried itunescdb and it worked, but no music, just a bunch of other in itunes. saw the music was still coded per the itunes way and figured i would put the original itunescbd back and see if i could do something different to reset the connection. well it worked and i was able to sync and get all my music.

So, delete itunescbd, sync, then replace the new itunescdb that was made during the sync with the previously bad one. It worked for me, i hope it works for you.

Oh, the FTV player is an ad on the i-funbox site. Personally I found it misleading as well and clicked that. Remember, think before you click, read before you click, then think again.
    Last edited by Sokey; 09-30-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Unhappy Ahhh!!! Help needed!
    I'm using an iPhone 3GS with iOS 5. I originally got the "cannot read the contents" message so I followed your instructions and deleted the files. Now I can't sync at all. iTunes gives me a message of "phone could not be synced because sync session failed to start.
    Oh, by the way, yes I'm freaking out...
    Apple support advised me to restore the phone, big surprise, all I did was remove most of the apps and such off my phone.
    I have restored a few times, restarted iTunes with phone connected, restarted iTunes without phone, restarted phone both connected and not, removed the iTunesCDB a few times.

None of it has worked out.

Pretty pretty please help this noob.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

FYI, this worked for me. I had not synced my phone in quite some time otherwise I would likely just restore to iOS 5.0.

I deleted iTunesCDB from /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes/. I used iFile to do it directly on my iPhone. I had been able to view all the music on my phone previous to this. I also deleted all the folders under Music (F00 through F49). This got rid of most of the Other that iTunes was showing.

I am currently re-syncing my phone.

iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) running iOS 4.1 Jailbroken
    iTunes 10.5.0.142 (latest version as of October 30, 2011)
    Windows XP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast