Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: easy answer on upgrading fw

Default easy answer on upgrading fw
    Hi, probably super noob question but i have tried searching and cant find a definite answer to this.
    I have a 3gs on ios4.0.1, jailbroken using jailbreakme.com and i have cydia on it. The phone has never been unlocked and has always been on Orange.

I'm not sure i want to keep it on there,if i update on itunes i know it will break my jailbreak but will there be any further consequences? Such as loosing the phone app or destroying files on my phone?

Or will it just install ios4.1 and run happily forever after.

I dont understand all this dfu restore and everything else and i dont think hving my phone jb'en is my thing really.

Thanks for your replies

Steve

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

So you are saying jailbreaking your iphone is not a priority, then you can just update to 4.1 through itunes, everything will be intact and no jailbreak at 4.1. And for all future updates, you can just update through Itunes.

Hi there,
    Yes thats correct, when the jailbreak for 4 came out i got sucked in by a colleague and jailbroken.

Now in hindsight, i preferred it the way it was, i find my phone a little unstable at timess, and as probably silly as it sounds, i really like the standard apple layout, graphics and fonts etc

I was just very worried it would make some unalterable changes to my device

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Personally, I like the Shrink and Iconociasm from Cydia and i put CineXplayer on my 3GS, I love it watching movies directly on AVi format. Yeah, the only problem with jailbreak is whenever you want to update to a new OS, you have to start over everything again, whereas if you don't jailbreak, you can just hit update in Itunes, all the infos will be intact...