Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3gs curr. on 4.0.1 - restoring to 4.0.1 - want to know all the worst case scencarios

Default 3gs curr. on 4.0.1 - restoring to 4.0.1 - want to know all the worst case scencarios
    hello all.
    so i have a 3gs on 4.0.1. my shsh files are saved. i wanted to restore my phone because it's being a little weird, random problems that only a restore can fix.
    the reason i am posting though is because i'm afraid ahead of time there will be problems. 3194 errors... whatever.
    so, my plan in just a few is to shift-restore and grab the 4.0.1 firmware for my phone.
    am i going to need to do anything to avoid errors? i have itunes 10, windows 7.
    so, let me have it. host file edits, whatever i may need to do/double check.
    thanks ahead of time

Mainly just double check your hosts file and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Mainly just double check your hosts file and you should be good to go.
    double check meaning make sure the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com line is there or should i remove it?
    also the 127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com - remove it or keep it?
    Last edited by ambeestar; 09-14-2010 at 09:11 PM.

Put a # infront of the 127.0.0.1 and make leave the 74 one there without a # at the front.

Also don't restore from backup. Setup as new when you get there. Because some of your problems may carry over from the backup.
    Last edited by Cer0; 09-14-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

ambeestar (09-14-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    Put a # infront of the 127.0.0.1 and make leave the 74 one there without a # at the front.

awesome, thank you. the last four lines of my host file now look like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
    ::1 localhost
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

as long as that looks good, i'll go ahead and start the restore (not from backup. screw that backup, it sucked. :P ). thank you again.

If you run into issues check back with the error code it gives.

oh man, that's the first time since 3.1.2 that i haven't had any problems restoring my phone. so good. now just waiting for unlock stuff to go through, but i got it.

Glad it worked.

thanks to you!