Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3gs 4.0 GM to final or 4.0.1 possible?

Default Iphone 3gs 4.0 GM to final or 4.0.1 possible?
    I've been searching (this forum, Dev team, the internet)and testing for hours and I still can't find the right way/anyway to do the jailbreak.

- I purchased my iphone 3gs on the first day of release

- I upgraded the firmware all the way up to the 4.0 Goldmaster. After that I stopped the upgrades. Now I want to jailbreak/unlock my phone so I can use it overseas

- Phone has never been jailbroken before.
    - Modem Firmware is 05.13.04
    - Model is "MCXXXXX"
    - using Itunes 9.2.0.61
    - base band is 539.3

Based on reading the forums it seems that you can't downgrade due to the SHSH request issue unless you have your SHSH stored at CYDIA. I assume the reverse is true for upgrading, you can't upgrade from 4.0 to 4.0.1/4.0.2 since 4.1 came out. Apple is no longer signing the older firmwares

So am I stuck at firmware 4.0 or is there any way for me to either:
    - jailbreak 4.0 goldmaster and then unlock
    - update to 4.0.1/4.0.2, jailbreak and then unlock

things I've tried so far:

- tried using jailbreakme.com, jailbreakme.ca, www.jailbreak.com/index.html and it doesn't work, safari just crashes on my iphone. From what I understand the GM build does not work on jailbreakme.com because of the game center application.

- tried redsn0w 9.2 and it can't recongize any of the IPSW files I try to use

As for tinyumbrella to store my SHSH, something strange is happening

My 3gs is 4.0 and itunes recognize it as 4.0. When Tiny umbrella 4.1.4 starts, it sees the device as "iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293)". When I click to save my SHSH, tinyumbrella saves it as Iphone 3gs 4.1. (8B117).

I clicked the "advance" box and notice that by default it's set to request "IPHONE 3GS 4.1", I changed the request to 4.0 (8A293), try to save again, but it fails and comes back telling me that "This device isn't eligible for the requested build" and
    "CYDIA DOES NOT HAVE YOUR SHSH FOR iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293) THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO GET THEM. SORRY. YOU ARE JUST TOO LATE"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 2,647 Posts

Yes, if you have OS GM, Safari crashes as soon as you go to jailbreakme.com, without shsh, I think you are stuck for now. Since you have saved your OS 4.1 shsh blogs, just wait for the new jailbreak to be released and hopefully unlock too.

this sucks, I'm leaving next Monday to go overseas and was hoping to use my phone over there