Closed Thread

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I Just Found A New Downgrade Method - ALL Devices (Including MC Models)

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hey everyone! I just found out a new way to successfully downgrade your iDevice from firmware 4.0.2 to 4.0! And the best part, there is NO SHSH BLOBS REQUIRED!!! I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default I Just Found A New Downgrade Method - ALL Devices (Including MC Models)
    Hey everyone! I just found out a new way to successfully downgrade your iDevice from firmware 4.0.2 to 4.0! And the best part, there is NO SHSH BLOBS REQUIRED!!! I successfully downgraded my iPod Touch 2G 8GB MC Model from 4.0.2 to 4.0!

*NOTICE - This has ONLY been tested with iTunes 9.2.1, so I recommend using version 9.2.1 to prevent problems.*
    *NOTICE - I have only been able to test this on a Mac, but am almost positive that it will work on Windows PC as well.*
    *NOTICE - Remember to backup your iDevice with iTunes before attempting the following. I will not be held responsible for any damage or data loss that may, but most likely wont occur.*
    *NOTICE - I will post pictures as soon as possible, as I am very, very tired...*

* REQUIRED DOWNLOADS/STUFF:
    - iDevice firmware 4.0: Select your iDevices type and generation from the list, and be sure to select firmware 4.0! LINK: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    - iTunes 9.2.1: LINK: Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com *Select iTunes 9.2.1 from the list*
    - A brain, and the ability to use it... lol

There, now let us begin!

Pre-Step:
    - Before starting, be sure you have all of the provided downloads/files listed in this article. If you have an identical file (for example, an identical firmware file), it is still recommended that you download the file attached to this article to prevent problems/errors.

Step 1:
    - To start, plug in your iDevice to your computer, open up iTunes and make a backup.

Step 2:
    - When you have finished backing up your device, you must put your iDevice into DFU mode.
    - You can do this by following these steps:
    * Leaving your iDevice connected to your Mac or PC, restart iTunes.
    * Turn off your device.
    * Hold the Home and Power button for about 10 seconds, then release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until iTunes detects your iDevice in recovery mode. Your iDevice screen should be totally blank by now.

Step 3:
    - Now that your iDevice is in DFU mode, you must edit the "hosts" file.

WINDOWS:
    * Navigate to Start >All Programs > Accessories > Right click on the Notepad icon > Choose Run as Administrator
    * Now go to File menu in opened Notepad and choose Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    * Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and open HOSTS file.
    * Once HOSTS file is opened, copy-paste the following line at the end of the file:
    74.208.105.171.apple.com
    * Now, go back to File menu and choose Save or press Ctrl+S.

MAC
    * Click Go > Go to Folder and then enter path /etc
    * Open HOSTS file with TextEdit and add the following line at the end of the file:
    74.208.105.171.apple.com

***NOTE - I know that it says "74.208.105.171.apple.com" and not "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com"... You must put 74.208.105.171.apple.com at the file!!!***

* Now go to File and choose Save As, uncheck if no extension is provide, use .txt and save the HOSTS file on your desktop.
    * Now replace the original HOSTS file with the one you just saved on your desktop. In case you are prompted for the password, just enter it and click OK.

Step 4:
    - Next, restart iTunes again and select your iDevice from the iTunes sidebar. On the Summary tab, hold down the "option" key if you're on a Mac or the "shift" key on a Windows PC, and click the restore button. Select the 4.0 firmware file that you downloaded earlier. iTunes should now start to restore your iDevice.

Step 5:
    - After your iDevice is successfully restored, DO NOT DISCONNECT IT!!! Instead, when a message prompts you to either set up your iDevice as a new device or restore from a backup, select "Restore from Backup". Let iTunes restore your iDevice's settings/data.

Step 6:
    - When iTunes is finished, you can safely disconnect your iDevice from iTunes and jailbreak using Spirit or JailbreakMe!!! YAY!!!

***** If you have any questions, comments, need help, or just want to say thank you, please feel free to leave a comment and I will try to answer as many questions as I can. *****

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leviernst For This Useful Post:

raerae94 (09-09-2010), siong9205 (09-10-2010), Will799 (09-06-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This method is already known, but I'm pretty sure it still requires shsh blobs, it just redirects apple to the cydia server by changing the destination IP.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leviernst View Post
    Hey everyone! I just found out a new way to successfully downgrade your iDevice from firmware 4.0.2 to 4.0! And the best part, there is NO SHSH BLOBS REQUIRED!!! I successfully downgraded my iPod Touch 2G 8GB MC Model from 4.0.2 to 4.0!

*NOTICE - This has ONLY been tested with iTunes 9.2.1, so I recommend using version 9.2.1 to prevent problems.*
    *NOTICE - I have only been able to test this on a Mac, but am almost positive that it will work on Windows PC as well.*
    *NOTICE - Remember to backup your iDevice with iTunes before attempting the following. I will not be held responsible for any damage or data loss that may, but most likely wont occur.*
    *NOTICE - I will post pictures as soon as possible, as I am very, very tired...*

* REQUIRED DOWNLOADS/STUFF:
    - iDevice firmware 4.0: Select your iDevices type and generation from the list, and be sure to select firmware 4.0! LINK: iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download
    - iTunes 9.2.1: LINK: Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com *Select iTunes 9.2.1 from the list*
    - A brain, and the ability to use it... lol

There, now let us begin!

Pre-Step:
    - Before starting, be sure you have all of the provided downloads/files listed in this article. If you have an identical file (for example, an identical firmware file), it is still recommended that you download the file attached to this article to prevent problems/errors.

Step 1:
    - To start, plug in your iDevice to your computer, open up iTunes and make a backup.

Step 2:
    - When you have finished backing up your device, you must put your iDevice into DFU mode.
    - You can do this by following these steps:
    * Leaving your iDevice connected to your Mac or PC, restart iTunes.
    * Turn off your device.
    * Hold the Home and Power button for about 10 seconds, then release the Power button but keep holding the Home button until iTunes detects your iDevice in recovery mode. Your iDevice screen should be totally blank by now.

Step 3:
    - Now that your iDevice is in DFU mode, you must edit the "hosts" file.

WINDOWS:
    * Navigate to Start >All Programs > Accessories > Right click on the Notepad icon > Choose Run as Administrator
    * Now go to File menu in opened Notepad and choose Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    * Browse to C:WindowsSystem32driversetc and open HOSTS file.
    * Once HOSTS file is opened, copy-paste the following line at the end of the file:
    74.208.105.171.apple.com
    * Now, go back to File menu and choose Save or press Ctrl+S.

MAC
    * Click Go > Go to Folder and then enter path /etc
    * Open HOSTS file with TextEdit and add the following line at the end of the file:
    74.208.105.171.apple.com

***NOTE - I know that it says "74.208.105.171.apple.com" and not "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com"... You must put 74.208.105.171.apple.com at the file!!!***

* Now go to File and choose Save As, uncheck if no extension is provide, use .txt and save the HOSTS file on your desktop.
    * Now replace the original HOSTS file with the one you just saved on your desktop. In case you are prompted for the password, just enter it and click OK.

Step 4:
    - Next, restart iTunes again and select your iDevice from the iTunes sidebar. On the Summary tab, hold down the "option" key if you're on a Mac or the "shift" key on a Windows PC, and click the restore button. Select the 4.0 firmware file that you downloaded earlier. iTunes should now start to restore your iDevice.

Step 5:
    - After your iDevice is successfully restored, DO NOT DISCONNECT IT!!! Instead, when a message prompts you to either set up your iDevice as a new device or restore from a backup, select "Restore from Backup". Let iTunes restore your iDevice's settings/data.

Step 6:
    - When iTunes is finished, you can safely disconnect your iDevice from iTunes and jailbreak using Spirit or JailbreakMe!!! YAY!!!

***** If you have any questions, comments, need help, or just want to say thank you, please feel free to leave a comment and I will try to answer as many questions as I can. *****
    God I hate you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why do u hate me?

And to Waleed786:
    This method is already known, but I'm pretty sure it still requires shsh blobs, it just redirects apple to the cydia server by changing the destination IP.
    You may think that, but it does not require SHSH Blobs because I never saved my SHSH Blobs... So this method allows most people to downgrade without haveing saved their SHSH Blobs.
    Last edited by leviernst; 09-06-2010 at 07:26 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to leviernst For This Useful Post:

Samuelredjono (09-16-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,194 Times in 6,975 Posts

Just because you never saved them doesn't mean they aren't there. Download tiny umbrella click on advanced and try to save them for your device and you may be surprised with what you discover.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Just because you never saved them doesn't mean they aren't there. Download tiny umbrella click on advanced and try to save them for your device and you may be surprised with what you discover.
    I already tried that and they wern't there... that is y i posted this method...

Thanks

Are SHSH even required for an iPod touch 2G? I know they are for the 3G but not sure on 2G. iPhones are more my speciality.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are SHSH even required for an iPod touch 2G? I know they are for the 3G but not sure on 2G. iPhones are more my speciality.
    Yes, they usually are required for iPod Touch 2Gs, more specifically iPT 2Gs with a model number that begins with MC. But they are required in most cases anyway.

Thanks

The iPT2G (both MB and MC models) are soft-signed SHSH blobs from 3.x (maybe even 3.1.1, haven't checked) onward--they are only checked by iBoot and downgrades are possible without SHSH signed IMG3 files (with a bootrom exploit, which the MB has but the MC does not have).

OP, please post your device model and ECID here (or PM them to me).

Apple is still signing 4.0 (8A293) for the iPT2G as of 6 September 21:52 EDT (and therefore Cydia can still get the blobs legitimately); therefore, I find your claims of "no blobs needed for a downgrade" unsubstantiated at the moment. Even without changing your host file to Cydia's cache server, a downgrade to 4.0 is still possible because Apple is (inexplicably) still signing 4.0.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

Simon (09-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orbyorb View Post
    The iPT2G (both MB and MC models) are soft-signed SHSH blobs from 3.x (maybe even 3.1.1, haven't checked) onward--they are only checked by iBoot and downgrades are possible without SHSH signed IMG3 files (with a bootrom exploit, which the MB has but the MC does not have).

OP, please post your device model and ECID here (or PM them to me).

Apple is still signing 4.0 (8A293) for the iPT2G as of 6 September 21:52 EDT (and therefore Cydia can still get the blobs legitimately); therefore, I find your claims of "no blobs needed for a downgrade" unsubstantiated at the moment. Even without changing your host file to Cydia's cache server, a downgrade to 4.0 is still possible because Apple is (inexplicably) still signing 4.0.
    Good to know, thanks

Thanks

this has been talked about before and is proven to be just saved shsh blobs no matter what u say....when u edit the host file to something OTHER then apples server, it means it verifies somewhere else where they are stored...so this is pointless as u still need shsh....

...closed...
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]