Results 1 to 16 of 16

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone 3G 3.1.3 is bricked. Am I SOL?

  1. #1
    Default iPhone 3G 3.1.3 is bricked. Am I SOL?
    Greetings modmyi members,

    I write to you asking for advice regarding my bricked iphone 3G.

    The 3G was bought when it first came out. I updated my firmware whenever an update came out, with no initial intention of ever jailbreaking the phone.

    After I saw what an unlocked iphone could do, I had to jailbreak it. The problem was that I had already upgraded to OS version 3.1.3

    Because most jailbreaking sites advised not to jailbreak due to the possibility of the process not working, I waited until a reliable tool was available. Then sn0wbreeze came out. I tried jail breaking, but my phone restarted on its own, while the new .ispw file was being uploaded. When it turned back on, all I saw was the "connect to itunes" logo. Ever since that incident, I've been getting Error 16XX, or 9, when I try any method of restoring.

    I've tried Spirit, redsn0w, and a couple other jailbreak tools to no avail. Am I SOL?

    Your advice and tips would be most appreciated.

    Note: I want to be able to use my iPhone as an iPod at least. I've bought a Blackberry Bold to use as a phone since the iphone was bricked.

    Thank you!

  2. #2

  3. #3
    redsn0w doesn't support 3.1.3
    This release supports:

    All iPhones and iPod touches (still a tethered-only JB for late-model devices though)
    Apple firmware 3.0 and 3.1.2
    Windows and Mac OSX (x86 only for now)
    If you can you can try downgrading to 3.1.2 and jailbreaking with redsn0w unless you want to go up to iOS 4 or wait for iOS 4.1 and jailbreak with redsn0w
    Was my post helpful?
    Click the "Thanks" button.

  4. #4
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,716
    Thanks
    6,951
    Thanked 15,499 Times in 7,089 Posts

    Actually redsn0w works just fine for 3.1.3 for iphone 3G. You just point it to the 3.1.2 firmware and it will jailbreak 3.1.3 no problem

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Have you tried putting it in dfu then restoring?
    Yes I have. When my phone reboots from restoring in DFU mode, the screen shows the "connect to itunes" logo.

    Quote Originally Posted by s0uthp013 View Post
    redsn0w doesn't support 3.1.3

    If you can you can try downgrading to 3.1.2 and jailbreaking with redsn0w unless you want to go up to iOS 4 or wait for iOS 4.1 and jailbreak with redsn0w
    I can't load any OS on my phone at the moment. If I try restoring in itunes, I get connection error messages (Error 16XX, 9, etc.). My phone has no operating system on it, if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by samjlee; 09-06-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  6. #6
    Here try this. I have done it on lots of 3G iPhones.

    1. Download these items first - ( tinyumbrella - the 3.1.3 IPW )

    2. Connect your iPhone to computer.

    3. Put your iPhone in DFU mode. Google if not sure.

    4. Restore your IPW but don't forget to push shift key then the restore button.

    5. Point the restore to where you downloaded and saved location. Once you find it select the IPW to do the restore.

    6. ITunes will go through it's process and it will give you a error don't worry that is normal.

    7. Now your iPhone should be in recovery mode.

    8. Now use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

    9. Now you should be in the active screen meaning you don't see the emergency screen.

    10. Now make sure you are on wifi. Open your browser and type in jailbreakme.com

    11. Let jailbreakme do it's thing. When done you should get a message stating your jailbroken. Bammm your jailbroken.

    12. Restart your iPhone. Now Cydia should be on there. Open and update cydia first thing. After your done updating go to search and type in ultrasn0w.

    12. Install and reboot bammmm! Your unlocked.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Actually redsn0w works just fine for 3.1.3 for iphone 3G. You just point it to the 3.1.2 firmware and it will jailbreak 3.1.3 no problem
    I have already tried doing so using my macbook. After the phone reboots for the last time, the "connect to itunes" logo reappears.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    I'm sorry, but could you clarify on what to do before recboot?

    Quote Originally Posted by XFaega View Post
    Here try this. I have done it on lots of 3G iPhones.

    1. Download these items first - ( tinyumbrella - the 3.1.3 IPW )

    2. Connect your iPhone to computer.

    3. Put your iPhone in DFU mode. Google if not sure.

    4. Restore your IPW but don't forget to push shift key then the restore button.

    5. Point the restore to where you downloaded and saved location. Once you find it select the IPW to do the restore.

    6. ITunes will go through it's process and it will give you a error don't worry that is normal.

    7. Now your iPhone should be in recovery mode.

    8. Now use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

    9. Now you should be in the active screen meaning you don't see the emergency screen.

    10. Now make sure you are on wifi. Open your browser and type in jailbreakme.com

    11. Let jailbreakme do it's thing. When done you should get a message stating your jailbroken. Bammm your jailbroken.

    12. Restart your iPhone. Now Cydia should be on there. Open and update cydia first thing. After your done updating go to search and type in ultrasn0w.

    12. Install and reboot bammmm! Your unlocked.
    First try failed after the iphone was kicked out of recovery using tinyumbrella. Put the phone back into DFU mode and tried it again, only to fail at the same point. The ophone is stuck at the apple logo. The phone seems to boot over and over again, getting stuck at the apple logo screen.
    Last edited by samjlee; 09-06-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #10
    I had to move to a different mac to fix mine that worked on both my ipod and iphone

  11. #11
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,716
    Thanks
    6,951
    Thanked 15,499 Times in 7,089 Posts

    You say you are on the connect to itunes screen right? Just plug in your iphone and use recboot.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    You say you are on the connect to itunes screen right? Just plug in your iphone and use recboot.
    Tried that 2 times, and I still get the repeating apple logo.

  13. #13
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    46,716
    Thanks
    6,951
    Thanked 15,499 Times in 7,089 Posts

    Check post 8 here:What is Error (9) in itunes when restoring?

    It sounds like the same error you are getting (error 9 right). Give what he says a go but it does look like it might be difficult to get your iphone back up and running if it is possible.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Check post 8 here:What is Error (9) in itunes when restoring?

    It sounds like the same error you are getting (error 9 right). Give what he says a go but it does look like it might be difficult to get your iphone back up and running if it is possible.
    Thanks x98car, I'll try that until I get some other advice.

    Quote Originally Posted by samjlee View Post
    Thanks x98car, I'll try that until I get some other advice.
    My attempts are futile.

    so far..

    Quote Originally Posted by samjlee View Post
    Thanks x98car, I'll try that until I get some other advice.



    My attempts are futile.

    so far..
    My iphone keeps getting stuck in the apple logo screen.
    Last edited by samjlee; 09-06-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  15. #15
    Error 9: This error occurs when the device unexpectedly drops off of the USB bus and communication stops. This can occur if the device is manually disconnected during the restore process. This issue can be resolved by performing USB isolation troubleshooting, using a different USB dock connector cable, trying another USB port, restoring on another computer, or by eliminating conflicts from third-party security software.


    straight off apple site no idea ?

  16. #16
    Try on another computer?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •