Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: An unknown error occurred (3194)

Default An unknown error occurred (3194)
    Hey everyone,

I was trying to restore my iPhone 3G to ver. 4.0 and I got the following error message. "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)." Before I received this error, iTunes was verifying the restore with Apple. By the way, I am not downgrading the ver. I am just simply restoring the same ver. to set it back to factory.

I have tried searching this error on google with no luck. Has anyone come across this error before? Is there a way to restore my iPhone without restoring it to ver. 4.0.2?

Thanks!

BB

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Do you have the shshs for 4.0? If you're on iPhone 3G version 4.0.2, you can still jailbreak.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

babaeih (08-24-2010)

Yes I do. I just found an article that said I needed to edit my host file and put the following entry in, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". Once that was done, I was able to restore the phone to ver. 4.0.

So if I don't have my SHSH saved, I couldn't ever go back to the version I wanted. Like 3.1.3?

Thanks

Only 4.0 and above on the original 3G phones use shsh, so you can actually go back to 3.1.X anytime you please.

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Only 4.0 and above on the original 3G phones use shsh, so you can actually go back to 3.1.X anytime you please.
    How can I do that? That would be great!!!

Thanks

Download the firmware bundle, put the phone in DFU mode, then shift + restore in iTunes to 3.1.3. It'll probably error out at the end, in which you should use TinyUmbrella to kick it out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to neodude237 For This Useful Post:

babaeih (08-25-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Download the firmware bundle, put the phone in DFU mode, then shift + restore in iTunes to 3.1.3. It'll probably error out at the end, in which you should use TinyUmbrella to kick it out.
    How do I use the TinyUmbrella?

Thanks

download it, open it with the phone connected and click the "kick the phone out of recovery" button
    In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete, drawn only to be washed away. For the time that I've been given, I am what I am. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

babaeih (08-25-2010)

Thanks neodude237 and j3st3r3 for your help!

So now I have restored the phone to 3.1.3. I have tried jailbreaking but nothing works. I've used redsn0w and it doesn't recognize the 'iPhone1,2_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw'. Any ideas?

Really appricate all the help!

Edit:

The problem was resolved by downloading redsn0w 9.4 and 'iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw'.

Thank you for all your help again!
    Last edited by babaeih; 08-25-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by babaeih View Post
    Yes I do. I just found an article that said I needed to edit my host file and put the following entry in, "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com". Once that was done, I was able to restore the phone to ver. 4.0.

So if I don't have my SHSH saved, I couldn't ever go back to the version I wanted. Like 3.1.3?

where do u find the host file?

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dale9 View Post
    where do u find the host file?
    Well it totally depends if your in a Mac or pc?

For Mac open terminal and type
    sudo pico private/etc/hosts
    Go to the bottom enter the info above my post and then press the correct keys to overwrite/save file, it tells you what to press at the bottom
    I could be wrong on that terminal command LOCATION but it's close to the command, if it's wrong try host instead of hosts

Idk 4 pc

If you are running Windows XP go to the following directory.

CWindows\system32\drivers\etc and edit the hosts file with notepad.

i have ipod 4 firmware 4.2.1 and trying to restore from itune but error coming 3194 please any solution..

I was trying to upgrade my iPhone 3G through iTunes to 4.2 from 4.1 and iTunes had the same 3194 error when trying to verify.

I worked out the problem was an issue with hosts. I had previously used tinyUmbrella to jailbreak another iPhone and this puts an extra line in the hosts file to point to Cydia instead of the official Apple server.

Close iTunes
    Open Hosts CWINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts in notepad

Find the lines which are gs.apple.com and comment them out by putting a # hash at the start of the line, as follows.

#127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com
    #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Save hosts, re-open iTunes and the update should now work.

If you have already downloaded the restore_ispw file, you do not need to download from Apple again, simply hold 'Shift' and click 'update' and browse to the relevant file.

Of course, if you are jailbroken, have changed baseband, or have the SSHS files on Cydia, then you don't need to revert back to the Apple server. I guess it depends what you've put on your phone since delivery.

Good luck.