Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 61 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How-To] Using tiny umbrella to update/downgrade/restore

OK So I bought an iphone 4 OOTB with 4.0.2
    Id used limerain to JB it and used the ultrasn0w unlock.

If I need to upgrade the firmware to 4.1 without losing the unlock, do I need to run TU as said in the previous posts, update , run limera1n again and JB it? Do I need to unlock it again, or will the previous unlock still work?

Edit: Also forgot to add - will updating the fw make itunes assk for SSN and billing code? As I don't have this since I imported the phone. I got the phone activated, will it ask for re-activation on restoring to newer firmware?
    Last edited by luckyarcher; 10-23-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luckyarcher View Post
    OK So I bought an iphone 4 OOTB with 4.0.2
    Id used limerain to JB it and used the ultrasn0w unlock.

If I need to upgrade the firmware to 4.1 without losing the unlock, do I need to run TU as said in the previous posts, update , run limera1n again and JB it? Do I need to unlock it again, or will the previous unlock still work?

Edit: Also forgot to add - will updating the fw make itunes assk for SSN and billing code? As I don't have this since I imported the phone. I got the phone activated, will it ask for re-activation on restoring to newer firmware?
    You can either use tiny umbrella or pwnage tool to update and preserve your baseband. You will have to jailbreak and unlock again. Not sure about the last part of your question, but you can always hacktivate if you need to.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

luckyarcher (10-23-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    Not sure about the last part of your question, but you can always hacktivate if you need to.
    What I meant was that after upgrading to 4.1 - would itunes ask me to activate the phone? Because I don't have the original AT&T sim or the ssn+other details. Does it show the slider for emergency call?

And if so at this stage would I be able to JB using limera1n and get it hacktivated?

Thanks

If you dont have an AT&T sim then yes you will have to hacktivate. Limera1n, greenpoison and pwnage tool can all do this now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

luckyarcher (10-23-2010)

I figured I'd take a crack at the Tiny Umbrella way of restoring instead of DFU because I'm stuck in recovery mode only.

I was stuck in recovery and couldn't get into DFU mode, then I started the

(1) TSS server
    (2) started itunes and then hit shift+restore button and selected 4.1 firmware - next thing confused me a little
    (3) It asked to verify with the apple server and I clicked yes.

It restored and I had to kick it out of recovery(error 1004) to use it.

I don't know if this method actually worked correctly because I used the most recent firmware. Did it work even though it asked to verify with the apple server?

Tom

Thanks

I assume you are using a iPhone 4 right? Yes it will always say verifying with apple. But in this case when it says that it will actually be verifying with tiny umbrella. So it sounds like you did it right and preserved your baseband (that's what the 1004 error means).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

tdamocles (10-24-2010)

I have a 3GS that when I started this process had a Firmware of 5.11.07, JB and Unlock for T-Mob, with Blackra1n and Ultrasn0w. Before doing a lot of research I did the backup with Tiny Umbrella upgraded to 4.1 expecting to perserve my firmware version. No such luck (not sure if I did something wrong - or the process doesn't work on a 3GS). My firmware is now at 05.14.02. I can JB ok but no luck with Unlocking.

Am I out of luck for an unlock now until Ultrasn0w releases a new version? Can I downgrade my firmware with TinyUmbrella/Cydia? Full restore of an older version? Anything?
    My iPhone is a fancy Touch now

SMaldo

Thanks

Tiny umbrella can only preserve the baseband on a iPhone 4. This is mentioned specifically on the tiny umbrella blog. Unfortunately you are stuck with that baseband for now, however a new unlock should be out soon after 4.2 comes out in November.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

SMaldo (10-24-2010)

Ya, I saw that, after the fact. Thanks for verifying. If the rumors are correct there should be an update to ultrasn0w after 4.2 is released. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Default Upgrade question
    I am sure this has been asked a thousand times and i apologize for my noobish-ness. i am currently still on 4.0.1 firmware and am still on the jailbreame.com jb. i ran tinyumbrella back when that jb first came out and saved my shsh after using the jb. i would like to update to the latest firmware (4.1) but i do not want to lose all my settings, programs, customized icons etc. is there a step by step on how to get all my personalized settings, programs etc back once i update and jailbreak? or am i stuck with having to re-download and re-setup my iphone the way i have it? or should i just not update and stay with the old firmware?

Thanks

There are apps in cydia that can backup your jailbroken stuff, but when updating to a new firmware it is always safer to redownload everything one at a time just in case something isnt compatible with the new firmware.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

resq232 (10-25-2010)

Using TinyUmbrella v4.1.12 I can't get past cannot start tss service TinyUmbrella must be run as administrator. I am right clicking on it and running as admin but still get this error. freshly installed winXP. Thanks for any pointers.

Thanks

Is it telling you something is running on port 80? Teamviewer, skype etc?

Nothing about port 80. Just run as admin. Says the same in the log

Thanks

Maybe try one of the older versions to see if they work fine or not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try to find something that is working on port 80 (kaspersky does), and turn that off.
    P.S. Place Tinyumbrella on your desktop and try it.

Hello x98car and everyone, hope someone can help me...

I have an iPhone4 with 4.0.1 and 01.59.00-ICE_2_6.
    Then yesterday, I used TinyUmbrella to save my SHSH. And it is saved and TinyUmbrella says 4.0.1 and 01.59.00-ICE_2_6, BUT it says "iPhone4 4.1 (8B117)" in the "Saved SHSHs for iPhone" list box, ok.

I then jailbreakme.com on the iPhone4 today; but after the jailbreak, I rebooted the iPhone4 and it was stuck at the white apple logo.

I then tried to restore it by starting TinyUmbrella and Start TSS Server.
    Then I started iTunes and plug in iPhone4 and entered DFU mode to restore to 4.0.1_8A306.ipsw. But it came back with error 3002.

I think it is checking for 8A306 from TinyUmbrella but I only have 8B117.
    I thought I saved my 4.0.1 and 01.59 in TinyUmbrella, did I not?

What can I do now? I want to unlock the iPhone4 to use foreign sim card.
    Do I restore to 4.1? Any baseband I can retain just so I can unlock?

Please help me.

Thanks

It is way too late to save 4.0.1 SHSH. What you can do is make sure you have the latest tiny umbrella. Open it, and run the TSS server making sure it has no errors. Then restore to 4.1. Tiny umbrella will preserve your baseband by causing a error 1004 near the end of the restore process. Use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery, then you can jailbreak with limera1n/greenpoison and unlock with ultrasn0w.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

lzb (10-28-2010)

Thank you thank you thank you x98car!

Do I just click the Restore button in iTunes, instead of download 4.1.ipsw then Shift+Restore and select 4.1.ipsw?

Sorry for the newbie question, got it, I need to download 4.1 then click Shift+Restore in iTunes. Thanks again x98car!
    Last edited by lzb; 10-28-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default little help please
    I have an 3GS 16 GB, new bootroom, 3.1.2 firmware, jailbreaked (tethered) with blackra1n and unlocked. I have SHSH saved on Cydia for 3.1.2 (also for 3.1.3, 4.0 etc). I want an untethered jailbreak with Spirit for the same 3.1.2 firmware (please don't laugh, I'm very pleased with that). I don't have an official SIM card for activate the phone (and phnonebook sim is not longer available for that)

So: is that ok, to restore to the same 3.1.2 firmware with custom firmware (already activated) using TinyUmbrella for a jailbreak with Spirit? Or my baseband will be updated and I will not be able to unlock it after that.

thanks!

Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 61 ... LastLast