+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: forgotten what it like to be able to use my ifone FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi guys well, i need help I've tried looking for similar cases but the language and abbreviations makes things hard to grasp for me, especailly now iphone4 is out and
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default forgotten what it like to be able to use my ifone FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!
    Hi guys

well, i need help
    I've tried looking for similar cases but the language and abbreviations makes things hard to grasp for me, especailly now iphone4 is out and there's more new variations!

My iphone has been sitting dormant on my desk for about 4 months now and now the crack has come out, i'm just a bit confused how to implement it.
    I basically had the iphone unlocked and jailbroken but then supidly upgraded itunes, which blocked the iphone (can get no network covergae when i insert my vodafone sim).

It's an 8GB 3G Iphone,
    version 3.1.3
    now on firmware 5.12.01

If someone could take a sec to share their knowledge/experience and help me unblock it and re-jailbreak it i'd be eternally grateful, really...if you're ever in torino Italy i'll buy ya a beer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to j3st3r For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (08-03-2010)

AKA westonben
    Thanks

3G can be JB and unlocked on the latest stock firmware. Upgrade to 4.0.1 and use redsnow to JB and ultrasnow to unlock.

How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows

Make sure you get the latest version of Redsnow that covers 4.0.1

Good luck!

SECOND THOUGHT:

3G can be slow on 4.0, so you are probably best staying on 3.1.3 and running spirit and unlocking with ultrasnow. You can free that phone without changing the firmware.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 07-28-2010 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (08-03-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If you do use Spirit, make sure you have the phone activated first.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (08-03-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default ok...almost there..
    OK, thanks, so i'll run spirit.
    It's the first time i've ever heard of it, any chance someone can post me the correct link to the version i need?

and Will01, what do you mean by having my fone activated first?
    at the moment it works fine as an mp3player and camera etc but no fone signal.

thanks guys, allan.

Thanks

Spiritjb.com has all the versions your dear heart desires
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (08-03-2010)

AKA westonben
    Thanks

and here are some good instructions, make sure you have a version of itunes below 9.2:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using Spirit (Windows) [3.1.2, 3.1.3]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to eyeRobot For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (08-03-2010)

Thanks

Do a DFU restore to 4.01
    Do Not restore from a backup - make sure you set up as a new phone
    Use RedSn0w 0.95b5 to JB - do not select Multitasking or wallpaper.
    Use UltraSn0w to unlock.

4.01 is no slower than 3.13 on a 3G if a clean DFU restore is done.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (08-03-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Cheers guys.. well i installed SPIRIT successfully but the fone is still blocked when i put my sim in and so there's no internet connection, so how can i now install ultrasnow, i need a net connection don't i??
    cheers, al<<

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by S11DJ View Post
    Cheers guys.. well i installed SPIRIT successfully but the fone is still blocked when i put my sim in and so there's no internet connection, so how can i now install ultrasnow, i need a net connection don't i??
    cheers, al<<
    Yep. Cydia requires a connection to the internet either through WiFi or your carrier. Search for and install Ultrasn0w 0.9.3. Easy as #pie.

If you're stuck at the emergency call screen, you'll need to activate it first. You're going to need a sim card from the carrier that sold the phone. Plug in the sim and connect to iTunes on a computer and it will activate the phone.
    Last edited by douflag; 08-03-2010 at 04:39 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

dunno if this will help, but my 3GS went like your 3G (no signal, calling, texting or internet) and I had to return it to apple, so I dunno if you will be able to fix yours or not..

Thanks

cheers, al<<
    Why did you use Spirit? What device are you on? What FW?
    Spirit has bbeen replaced by Jailbreakme.com but you still need an internet connection to install UltraSn0w.
    To use either Spirit or jailbreakme you need to be activated.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ok thanks, just one other thing, which is the better option for 3.1.3. on 5.12.1 would it be ultrasn0w 0.9.2. or 0.9.3.
    I'm reading mixed things as to whether 0.9.3. works for versions below 4.
    cheers fellas.

confucious, everyone on here told me to se spirit.
    As for being activated, my ifone works in every way other that receiving a signal from my carrier when i put the sim in (so i assumed it was classed as activated?) That's the thing that blocked when i accidentally upgraded the firmware to 3.1.3 6months ago, blocking my fone.
    Last edited by S11DJ; 08-04-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

UltraSn0w 1.0-1

21. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (08-04-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

When we suggested you used spirit JailbreakMe.com was not released.

In short, to answer your question you need a wifi connect to unlock it, try to find a public one if you don't have one yourself install either Ultrasn0w 1.0-1 or 0.93, power the phone down, put in unofficial sim, boot phone, voila

PS Spirit is fine for you on 3.1.3, you only need JailbreakMe.com for 4.0+ even tho it does work on 3.1.3, you are already JB with spirit, one is as good as the other for you. Just use jailbreakme.com if you ever upgrade to iOS4.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Will01 For This Useful Post:

S11DJ (08-04-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

great thanks agin guys, but is it possible that when i blocked my iphone the first time, that it affected the WI-FI because i can't seem to signal ANYWHERE!!
    frustrating, because all i need to do is get it online to run ultrasn0w and unblock it!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You keep saying blocked. Can you explain what you mean by that?

Green Apple
    Thanks

by blocked i mean it was unlocked and jailbroken 6 months ago, but then i accidentally upgraded to version 3.1.3 in itunes and it blocked the iphone in the sense that it took off cydia and my sim no longer generated a signal with my service provider (vodafone).
    so it still works in every way other than as a fone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

by blocked i mean it was unlocked and jailbroken 6 months ago, but then i accidentally upgraded to version 3.1.3 in itunes and it blocked the iphone in the sense that it took off cydia and my sim no longer generated a signal with my service provider (vodafone).
    so it still works in every way other than as a fone.
    Alright. Upgrading to 3.1.3 would not affect the wireless connection in any way. If you want, you could always restore to 3.1.3 on the iPhone 3G. That should fix any issues with WiFi.

The thing that puzzles me is how you got the phone to work assuming you did not have a sim to activate the phone. Usually, when you update to a new FW, it will ask you to plug in the phone in to iTunes to activate it. If you can't activate it, you'll be stuck at the emergency screen (USB cable + iTunes icons).

Other than that, you could try to reset network settings and see if you'll be able to pick up a WiFi signal.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi, well i've tried resetting network settings but no joy, and I can't complete the unlock with connecting to the net. FR US TR AT IN GGG.

It's strange because a couple of times 1 bar of signal has appeared on the WIFI, but then quickly vanished. At all other times, even when stood next to the wireless modem, NOTHING.

Douflag, what did u mean by 'restore to 3.1.3 on the iPhone 3G'?

Thanks, aL<<