+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: jailbroken apps without jailbreaking - READ

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
So here is my dilemma. I had a 3G that I loved, traded it for a Droid, got bored of that and decided I didn't like it as much as
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default jailbroken apps without jailbreaking - READ
    So here is my dilemma. I had a 3G that I loved, traded it for a Droid, got bored of that and decided I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Bought a 3GS and wanted to install iBlacklist on it. Here is the problem, when I had my 3G it was jailbroken and unlocked and it ran slow which I attribute to the jailbroken software on it since otherwise it ran fine.

I read somewhere that you can jailbreak 4.0, download apps through **********, cydia, etc. and install them, sync with iTunes and back up the phone. Restore to normal OS 4.0 that is NOT jailbroken, then do a restore from backup and you'll have all your jailbroken apps and they will function.

Can anyone shed some light on this or is it all BS? I don't mind jailbreaking as long as it doesn't affect the performance/battery life like it did on my 3G.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I come from a land down under (Australia)
    Thanks

I dont think what you are trying to do is possile wish it was though
    Can I play with madness?
    Follow me on twitter
    If you like what I say, hit the button, you know which one

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldog18 For This Useful Post:

OXxDiStUrBeDxXO (07-20-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The only reason I figured it was possible is that when my 3G was jailbroken I downloaded "makeitmine" from Cydia. When I backed it up before I traded it I think it backed up makeitmine because when I went to restore to my 3GS and one of the apps I could reinstall was makeitmine.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Sorry no help for you trying to steal apps. Talk about cracked apps/warez/piracy is not allowed.

Makeitmine and some other status things stay because they are edited strings that stay when you backup.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

cerote - do your homework buddy.

iBlacklist is a free/paid app depending on what version you get. I fully intend on buying it but I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone because of the performance loss when you load the new IPSW. The only way to get it is through Cydia since it is NOT on the AppStore.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Bought a 3GS and wanted to install iBlacklist on it. Here is the problem, when I had my 3G it was jailbroken and unlocked and it ran slow which I attribute to the jailbroken software on it since otherwise it ran fine.

I read somewhere that you can jailbreak 4.0, download apps through **********, cydia, etc. and install them, sync with iTunes and back up the phone. Restore to normal OS 4.0 that is NOT jailbroken, then do a restore from backup and you'll have all your jailbroken apps and they will function.
    The bold item is what I am talking about. I read the other part; that is why I left this open thread so it can be talked about. So no homework needed.

Jailbreaking doesn't cause to many issues with performance as long as you don't install certain things.
    Last edited by Cer0; 07-20-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I should have clarified although I figured everyone would understand what I was talking about since this IS the jailbreak forum.

Here is the basic version:

1. jailbreak 4.0
    2. install apps from Cydia that are NOT stolen/cracked and cannot normally be obtained from the appstore
    3. backup phone in itunes/sync so those apps get transferred
    4. restore to normal 4.0 then restore from backup so you have your NON-stolen apps that you obtained through Cydia without depriving anyone of any money on your iphone without having to keep it jailbroken.

Thanks

I am just saying that because you brought up the subject. If that was the plan all along then why even mention it on a forum that has the rules against it?

And no you can't pretty simple answer. It will actually make things worse from restoring from backup of a jailbreak to a normal firmware.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why do this guys that are making these j/b think there soo bloody special yeh there doing some thing that only a few ppl can do but why be a d***k head about this wasn't the case from xda developers for windows smartphone they done things much quicker too

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What are you on about tripleaaa, grow up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaa3gs View Post
    Why do this guys that are making these j/b think there soo bloody special yeh there doing some thing that only a few ppl can do but why be a d***k head about this wasn't the case from xda developers for windows smartphone they done things much quicker too
    MAybe because like you said there are only a few of them. And there are many X DA developers. Plus Windows mobile and HTC devices are a lot easier to crack than iPhone. Since exploits are slim and far between they are playing this as a game of Chess not checkers.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

alexevo, you might want to consider the difference in speed you are noticing with your non-jailbroken 3Gs is the regular difference between 3G and 3Gs. I own one of each and there is a significant difference in speed as the 3Gs has higher hardware resources.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Makeitmine and some other status things stay because they are edited strings that stay when you backup.
    I restored from my jailbroken 3GS also with make it mine installed. I had other jailbroken apps when I did it. The only thing that stayed was the MIM setting, for the fact mentioned above. Restoring from a jailbroken backup does not bring over the jailbroken apps also.

He answered your question, but I think the back and forth about the piracy may have over shadowed it.

P.S.
    A little side note: I dont know if it was SBSettings or MIM but I also don't have a clock on my phone now unless its locked, as that was also replaced with custom verbiage through a theme I was using with IBNYAFFA's clock / weather wedget. I suppose that could also happen for you if you restored.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

That is why it is always best to setup as new instead of restoring a backup. A backup of a jailbroken device can cause more issues than just having it jailbroken. So it is always suggested to restore and setup as new instead of a backup.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you have a new 3Gs and dont have your SHSH blobs stored on Cydia, you cant jailbreak anyways, at least until the new jb is released. As far as the performance issue, I had my 3Gs jailbroken with Spirit, had a ton of Apps from the appstore, numerous things dl'ed from Cydia, and never really noticed a decrease in my speed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaa3gs View Post
    Windows is like learning to ride a tricycle. This is Apple, much more complex and innovative. Windows anything is BORING.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stlcaddie View Post
    Windows is like learning to ride a tricycle. This is Apple, much more complex and innovative. Windows anything is BORING.
    Windows sucks i want a mac
    Can I play with madness?
    Follow me on twitter

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanWattus View Post
    Windows sucks i want a mac
    Do it. Once you go Mac you never go back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post

Right - like my custom Carrier logo "Bobby" (instead of "AT&T) is still there, even on my iPhone 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    Do it. Once you go Mac you never go back.
    Yeah thats what im planning to do once i have the money
    Can I play with madness?
    Follow me on twitter