+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activate Iphone 3Gs with no Sim Card?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I recently upgraded my iphone via iTunes from ios 3.0.1 to ios 4.0. After trying several methods I have been unable to either Jailbreak or Downgrade. The worst thing is
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Activate Iphone 3Gs with no Sim Card?
    I recently upgraded my iphone via iTunes from ios 3.0.1 to ios 4.0. After trying several methods I have been unable

to either Jailbreak or Downgrade. The worst thing is that for some reason after one of the recoveries the iphone is

now asking for a valid sim card to activate and i am unable to use it at all. Is there anything I can do to make it work at least as an ipod until a jailbreak method comes out?

My current status is this:

Iphone: 3Gs
    SERIAL: 849358xxxxx
    BASEBAND: 5.13.04
    BOOTLOADER: 6.4_m3s2
    MODEL: MC135

Any and all help appreciated.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Your gonna have to get your hands on an official sim card for a second.

If this next jailbreak release is anything like the last(which it seems to be), you'll still need to be officially activated.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You shouldn't of upgraded, even if you could bypass activation you couldn't jailbreak so no unlock, making your phone an ipod.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem - an old iPhone 3G my son was using as an iPod but once we upgraded it to 4.0, it won't work due to no SIM card. However, I do have a working iPhone with a SIM card (still haven't upgraded)... can I temporarily use that SIM card in the iPhone I'm using only as an iPod (which now won't work) and get it started, or will it crash again when I remove the SIM card?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Smabe, you will be able to activate it with the iPhone SIM that you have in your working iPhone. It wont lock back up or crash when you take it out.

JoYsTiK - If you can get your hands on a legit AT&T active sim you will be able to activate it which you will need to do anyway if the next jailbreak doesn't support hacktivation. Other than that you'll just have to be patient until they release the next tools to jailbreak iOS 4 but just be happy it can be unlocked cause that's typically the thing that everyone waits months for. Next time make sure you store SHSH files, it will come in handy.
    Last edited by kraziebone; 07-07-2010 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great, thanks. So to be clear (I'm NOT a techie) - I can just take the SIM card out of my "real" iPhone, stick it in the upgraded but not working iPhone (that I'm using only as an iPod), plug it back into iTunes and presto it will work? Then I can simply remove it and place it back into the "real" iPhone and it will work as usual? Will I have to actually activate it in the one I'm using as an iPod?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Yep or you could jailbreak a 3G (not an S) on iOS4 using redsn0w which would allow you to hacktivate the phone bypassing the sim altogether.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OOH I'm not sure I'm up to that, but where's the best instructions just in case...?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smabe View Post
    OOH I'm not sure I'm up to that, but where's the best instructions just in case...?
    here you go http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=10188

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you guys. I think im out of luck. Im in south america and this phone came to me without a simcard.

So theres no way to downgrade? Any tool to force an old 3.x.x recovery image onto the phone or something similar? I dont mind if cant use the phone for a while, i want the apps and ipod.

I tried to do the SHSH backup with cydia before te upgrade, but I think the firmware was too old (3.0.1) to backup anyway. Had a permanent message about a pending TSS request.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    where are you at in South America? I have one I could let you use if you are in Chile.

iPhone? More like MyPhone wrecked77's Avatar
    Thanks

There is a video on YouTube that shows you how to activate it without a sim

LinkBacks (?)