+ Reply
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [SOLUTION] iPhone shut off during boot / Stuck Apple Logo

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
iphone 4 4.3.3, jailbreakme.com, unlocked with gevey, i was updating apps in cydia and went to reboot and got stuck at apple logo and wont start :-( unfortunately i dont
    Thanks

iphone 4 4.3.3, jailbreakme.com, unlocked with gevey,

i was updating apps in cydia and went to reboot and got stuck at apple logo and wont start :-( unfortunately i dont have blobs saved for it and never backed it up since i just got it like 3 weeks ago i have a bunch of pics and important contacts i dont want to lose what can i do?
    iphone 4 4.3.3 jailbroken/unlocked, ipad 4.3.2 jailbroken, ipod touch 2g 3.1.2. jailbroken, iphone 3g 3.1.3 jailbroken/unlocked, macbook osx 10.6.8

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Post SOLUTION for iPhone stuck at boot logo after Cydia update
    Hi,

Just thought I'd share the solution I found to a problem that I thought had left me with no choice but to do a full restore of my iPhone 4 - losing all data since my last backup.

The problem: I am on iOS 5 with a tethered jailbreak. After installing some app updates in Cydia (Activator, MyWi and SBSettings), the phone needed a reboot. After a tethered reboot it would not get past the pineapple logo, it just hung there no matter what I did.

Fearing the worst I Googled the problem and a lot of people seemed to have had the same trouble due to a corrupt/poorly coded MobileSubstrate addon. The solution (if OpenSSH is installed) is to SSH in to the iphone from another computer and remove items from /Library/MobileSubstrate folder, rebooting after each removal, until the offending addon is found. I did not realise that, even though my phone seemed frozen, I could still OpenSSH into it.

NOTE: for those of you who do not have OpenSSH installed - you can follow the instructions on this page to make a custom SSH ramdisk for redsn0w to boot your iphone 4 on iOS 5 tethered and allow SSH access through the USB cable:

README - iphone-dataprotection - How to setup and use the tools - iphone data protection tools - Google Project Hosting

HOWEVER, even though I disabled all the addons in the MobileSubstrate folder, my phone would still stick at the pineapple logo...

I decided that, in order to see what was going on, I would enable syslog in order to see what was causing Springboard to hang. Instructions on how to do this available here:

Enable Syslog on 2.x for Debugging | Iphone Troubleshooting

I rebooted, SSH'ed in and downloaded the syslog from /var/log/syslog

I found the following suspicious error that kept reoccurring:

Code:
    Nov  7 03:41:31 x-iPhone UserEventAgent[12]: watchdog: com.apple.SpringBoard has not responded after 3 forced crashes
    Nov  7 03:41:51: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
    Nov  7 03:41:51 x-iPhone com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mobile.installd[220]): (com.apple.mobile.installd) posix_spawn("/usr/libexec/installd", ...): No such file or directory
    Nov  7 03:41:51 x-iPhone com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mobile.installd[220]): (com.apple.mobile.installd) Exited with code: 1
    Nov  7 03:41:51 x com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mobile.installd): (com.apple.mobile.installd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
    Nov  7 03:42:11 x UserEventAgent[12]: watchdog: com.apple.SpringBoard has not responded after 3 forced crashes
    It seemed that this file was missing and, sure enough - after Googling 'installd' with reference to the phone hanging, I found posts that suggested an Activator update could accidentally delete this file from /usr/libexec/ - causing Springboard to hang and eventually give up starting.

------

The solution: if your phone freezes at the Apple/Pineapple logo after a Cydia update, use one of the above methods to SSH in, check the /usr/libexec folder and see if there is a file called 'installd' in there - if there is not - download it from here:

installd

Then, using SSH again, place it in the /usr/libexec folder - don't forget to change permissions of installd once it's copied across by using the command 'chmod 755 /usr/libexec/installd'

Now - tethered reboot your iphone and it *should* go straight past the logo and into SpringBoard!!!

For a guide on how to use SSH (commands, etc.) on the iPhone - either Google it or see this link:

How to Use SSH to Transfer File on iPhone

NOTE: If the above solution didn't work for you then enable syslog using the above instructions and look for any suspicious errors as they should be able to point you in the right direction of what is causing Springboard to hang and crash. Don't forget to disable syslog after using it as the file grows very quickly and after only a short time will start to hog space on the phone.

------

So, there it is, I do hope that the above guide helps anyone like myself who was tearing their hair out, fearing that the only solution was to do a full restore that would have lost a lot of valuable data.

I apologise if there are any errors in the procedure - please feel to correct me, post your own experiences or ask anything - although I'm far from being an expert on the matter…!

Good luck!

Best,

Mark

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mark_11 For This Useful Post:

dr.rickybobby (01-24-2012), pranav1285 (05-21-2012), xephon (01-23-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark_11 View Post
    Hi,

Just thought I'd share the solution I found to a problem that I thought had left me with no choice but to do a full restore of my iPhone 4 - losing all data since my last backup.

The problem: I am on iOS 5 with a tethered jailbreak. After installing some app updates in Cydia (Activator, MyWi and SBSettings), the phone needed a reboot. After a tethered reboot it would not get past the pineapple logo, it just hung there no matter what I did.

Fearing the worst I Googled the problem and a lot of people seemed to have had the same trouble due to a corrupt/poorly coded MobileSubstrate addon. The solution (if OpenSSH is installed) is to SSH in to the iphone from another computer and remove items from /Library/MobileSubstrate folder, rebooting after each removal, until the offending addon is found. I did not realise that, even though my phone seemed frozen, I could still OpenSSH into it.

NOTE: for those of you who do not have OpenSSH installed - you can follow the instructions on this page to make a custom SSH ramdisk for redsn0w to boot your iphone 4 on iOS 5 tethered and allow SSH access through the USB cable:

README - iphone-dataprotection - How to setup and use the tools - iphone data protection tools - Google Project Hosting

HOWEVER, even though I disabled all the addons in the MobileSubstrate folder, my phone would still stick at the pineapple logo...

I decided that, in order to see what was going on, I would enable syslog in order to see what was causing Springboard to hang. Instructions on how to do this available here:

Code:
    Nov  7 03:41:31 x-iPhone UserEventAgent[12]: watchdog: com.apple.SpringBoard has not responded after 3 forced crashes
    Nov  7 03:41:51 x-iPhone com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mobile.installd[220]): (com.apple.mobile.installd) posix_spawn("/usr/libexec/installd", ...): No such file or directory
    Nov  7 03:41:51 x-iPhone com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mobile.installd[220]): (com.apple.mobile.installd) Exited with code: 1
    Nov  7 03:41:51 x com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mobile.installd): (com.apple.mobile.installd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
    Nov  7 03:42:11 x UserEventAgent[12]: watchdog: com.apple.SpringBoard has not responded after 3 forced crashes
    It seemed that this file was missing and, sure enough - after Googling 'installd' with reference to the phone hanging, I found posts that suggested an Activator update could accidentally delete this file from /usr/libexec/ - causing Springboard to hang and eventually give up starting.

------

The solution: if your phone freezes at the Apple/Pineapple logo after a Cydia update, use one of the above methods to SSH in, check the /usr/libexec folder and see if there is a file called 'installd' in there - if there is not - download it from here:

installd

Then, using SSH again, place it in the /usr/libexec folder - don't forget to change permissions of installd once it's copied across by using the command 'chmod 755 /usr/libexec/installd'

Now - tethered reboot your iphone and it *should* go straight past the logo and into SpringBoard!!!

For a guide on how to use SSH (commands, etc.) on the iPhone - either Google it or see this link:

NOTE: If the above solution didn't work for you then enable syslog using the above instructions and look for any suspicious errors as they should be able to point you in the right direction of what is causing Springboard to hang and crash. Don't forget to disable syslog after using it as the file grows very quickly and after only a short time will start to hog space on the phone.

------

So, there it is, I do hope that the above guide helps anyone like myself who was tearing their hair out, fearing that the only solution was to do a full restore that would have lost a lot of valuable data.

I apologise if there are any errors in the procedure - please feel to correct me, post your own experiences or ask anything - although I'm far from being an expert on the matter…!

Good luck!

Best,

Mark
    Hi Mark

Thanks a lot for your share!! I have been struggling to recover the data in my wife's iPhone4 for 2 months. After I installed the PDAnet in iPhone4, it got stuck in apple logo during reboot, while I have not done any backup for the data (the photos, videos of my kid) on it.

Regarding your solution, I have a question want to clarify before I try it. Currently, the iPhone can not be connected to my PC through USB, i.e. can not be recognised no matter by iTune, iFunbox, iTools, etc. Could I still install the OpenSSH by following the links in your post?

Looking forward for your reply soon! Many thanks!!
    Last edited by wildgoose; 11-08-2011 at 01:32 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wildgoose For This Useful Post:

dr.rickybobby (01-24-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi - glad you've found this thread - I can sympathise with what a nightmare thinking you've lost all your photos etc. is!

Right - don't worry that your phone isn't seen by iTunes etc. - that's because it can't boot up far enough for them to see it. However, you should still be able to install OpenSSH and remove PDAnet and recover your data.

Most importantly - what iOS is the iPhone running - if it's iOS 5 then follow the instructions to get OpenSSH working here:

If it's iOS 4.3.2 then there is a different set of instructions here:

[Mac OS] iPhone Data Recovery iOS 4x via SSH ramdisk method - SiNfuL iPhone

Make sure you use the right set of instructions as you can brick your iPhone to the extent that a restore is the only option if you don't!

Don't hesitate to ask me any questions before/during your attempt...good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mark_11 For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Mark

Really appreciate your prompt reply & sympathy!! It gives me the hope to recover our data from the iPhone!

The iPhone is in iOS 4.2.1, suppose I should go for "[Mac OS] iPhone Data Recovery iOS 4x via SSH ramdisk method - SiNfuL iPhone", while I'm using WinXP, should I go for Mostly iPhone hacking mentioned in the Mac thread? Or should I borrow a Mac book to try the steps in the Mac thread?

The guides are quite long & quite technical, I need some time to digest them, hehe. Hope to get your help if I have further questions. Thank you again!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wildgoose For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It is doable from a PC and yes, that is a good guide to follow. Just make sure that the ipsw file you use is newer or the same as the iOS version you have on your phone as they are backwards compatible but not forwards. e.g. you will do damage if you attempt to fix your 4.2.1 with an older ipsw - just read the bit on the mac guide to make sure you start with the right version!

Good luck and let me know how it's going...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mark_11 For This Useful Post:

dr.rickybobby (01-24-2012), wildgoose (11-13-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Mark, good news!! With your post and the guides in other posts, I have finally connected to the iPhone thru SSH, and copied all our photos and videos out!! Thank you so much!!

By now, I'm still trying to fix the iPhone without a refresh. As my case seems not related to "installd" file missing, I tried to enable syslog to figure out the root cause, however seems not work. So I want to check with you for some more details.

1. After you login SSH, have you call those "mount" commands to set the path? or directly call this => echo ‘*.* /var/log/syslog’ >/etc/syslog.conf?
    2. After unloading / loading com.apple.syslogd.plist, I reboot the iPhone. Because the iPhone stucks in JB logo, I use RAMdisk to login SSH again, however the "syslog.conf" file is gone and no syslog is generated in /var/log folder.
    3. For this "tail -f /var/log/syslog", I tried also, but prompted the error that the CMD tail is not valid.

Do you have any idea or suggestion on the above questions? Many thanks for your advice in advance!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wildgoose For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It is doable from a PC and yes, that is a good guide to follow. Just make sure that the ipsw file you use is newer or the same as the iOS version you have on your phone as they are backwards compatible but not forwards. e.g. you will do damage if you attempt to fix your 4.2.1 with an older ipsw - just read the bit on the mac guide to make sure you start with the right version!

Good luck and let me know how it's going...
    Mark, btw, for installd, there is no this file in my /usr/libexec, but have one in /mnt2/stash/libexec.p4psXX, is this normal? And I have tried to use WINSCP to upload an OS4.2.1 installd, but an error always prompt saying that there is already file installd in /usr/libexec. The upload is not successful even I reply "replace" to that error msg.

Do you have any idea for this? I tried to google the answer, but seems very few posts I could find for this topic.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wildgoose For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildgoose View Post
    Mark, btw, for installd, there is no this file in my /usr/libexec, but have one in /mnt2/stash/libexec.p4psXX, is this normal? And I have tried to use WINSCP to upload an OS4.2.1 installd, but an error always prompt saying that there is already file installd in /usr/libexec. The upload is not successful even I reply "replace" to that error msg.

Do you have any idea for this? I tried to google the answer, but seems very few posts I could find for this topic.
    Sorry for the delay - haven't been on the forum for a few days.

SO glad you got your photos/videos off - it must be such a relief.

I'll look into your comments and get back to you ASAP - my initial thoughts:

You need to see if there is an installd in the /usr/libexec on the root volume so - after SSHing in and using the mount command series:

Code:
    mount /
    mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /mnt1
    mount_hfs /dev/disk0s2s1 /mnt2
    export PATH=$PATH:/mnt1/bin:/mnt1/sbin:/mnt2/stash/bin:
    export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt1/usr/lib
    Look in I think /mnt1/usr/libexec and see if installd is there - if it isn't then use winscp to transfer it after you have mounted the volumes. If there isn't an installd there, there should be and that is your problem.

Let me know how this goes and then I can better advise you!

Best,

Mark
    Last edited by mark_11; 11-14-2011 at 08:31 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mark_11 For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Mark, still no luck by following your comments (same error), I guest some system files maybe correupted already causing the looping. Anyway, as the most important mission is completed, I won't spend more time to dig out the root cause lar. Last night, I have refreshed the firmeware, now the ip4 is resumed with a clean OS.

Really appreciate your kind share, advice here to help me saving our 400 photos & videos!!! As you said, it's really a relief for me (I can have a good sleep :P)!! Thank you so much!!

p.s. I have gotten the following post after I SSH to the ip4, it supplements more details & steps base on MsftGuy's method, worth for those who has limited knowledge on iOS to follow. And it's for Windows user.

Emergency SSH access using a pwn'd DFU mode RamDisk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wildgoose For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for all the work you've been doing, Beej.
    To be honest, I couldn't read through all 46 pages, and if my problem has been addressed already, I apologize.
    But here it is:

iPhone 3GS not sure of firm - possibly 4.3.3 / 4.2.1
    Jailbroken with redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc16
    Windows xp

im at the end of road and sincerely need your advise on this issue.

Thanks

Gosh I hate this thread. Its like blind open heart surgery.

But you, sir, deserve to get to the bottom of this.

What happened, what's at stake?
    iDevices: Lots, most jailbroken
    Computers: MPB 13" i7 mid 2011, MacBook Air "11 256GB Samsung SSD i7, 4GB RAM, both OSX 10.7.3

I'm a iPhone hacker and Twitter API master.

Thanks

Just a kind of advice for Y'all, look into usbmuxd.

What you need: http://www.fhsjaagshs.com/files/usbm...hon_client.zip

unzip and look for the python-client folder. Type "cd" (w/out the quotes) and then a space. Drag the folder into Terminal or CMD.

now run: python tcprelay.py -t 22:2222

***if you are using a Mac, make sure that you run this as root (sudo)

Now, as long as the script is running, you can ssh over USB

Time to plug your device in via USB and wait for recognition. Kill iTunes and ImageCapture, etc. BEFORE

Finally, use CyberDuck with the SFTP protocol at port 2222 with the right credentials
    iDevices: Lots, most jailbroken
    Computers: MPB 13" i7 mid 2011, MacBook Air "11 256GB Samsung SSD i7, 4GB RAM, both OSX 10.7.3

I'm a iPhone hacker and Twitter API master.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@Fhsjaagshs

i tried but cant run the python folder.
    pardon for my noob.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

CDocuments and Settings\Sue>cd "CDocuments and Settings\Sue\Desktop\python-c
    lient"

CDocuments and Settings\Sue\Desktop\python-client>python tcprelay.py -t 22:222
    'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

CDocuments and Settings\Sue\Desktop\python-client>

where did i go wrong?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sprite404 View Post
    @Fhsjaagshs

i tried but cant run the python folder.
    pardon for my noob.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

CDocuments and Settings\Sue>cd "CDocuments and Settings\Sue\Desktop\python-c
    lient"

CDocuments and Settings\Sue\Desktop\python-client>python tcprelay.py -t 22:222
    'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

CDocuments and Settings\Sue\Desktop\python-client>

where did i go wrong?
    Google usbmuxd windows. I have no idea what's wrong (I don't use windows)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie1 View Post
    You Can fix tour phone and get it to boot! Do the Ssh ramdisk method to get "into" your phone first.

I got the phone to boot!!! After getting into the phone using te ssh ramdisk, I had someone in an irc chat that*moved the contents of*/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries to another folder, and the phone booted!!!! He asked me what I updated in Cydia, as we could probably nuke the items, but i couldn't remember, and then I asked why can't we just wipe it all out, and he liked my suggestion and it worked!

I think this would work for anyone with apple logo freezing issue after updating Cydia programs! We may have broke some ground here! I must have booted the phone 80 times and as soon as I moved that stuff out, it booted!
    probably you may show steps for a newbie like me... i have trying since i got a mac to borrow. (sigh)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unhappy iphone4 4.3.3 stuck on apple logo after installing HiSiri
    Hi, i got my iphone4 4.3.4 downgraded to 4.3.3 and jailbreked, then i installed H1Siri and after that my phone rebooted and stuck on apple logo so can't turn it off, i don't know what to do can you please help me how to sort it out . Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OMG!!

Thank you so much for posting your solution. I had updated SAM via Cydia and upon reboot I was stuck with the Apple Logo. I managed to SSH to my device using Redsn0w and custom SSH Bundle and deleted the broken plugins (SAMDeBrick.dylib & SAM.dylib) and the phone booted as normal!

I wish I'd found your post sooner, I wasted so many hours today looking for a solution without the need of restoring my device.

*For those who need the SSH_Bundle, here's the link to the file : SSH_bundle.tgz (I used redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc18 which installed the bundle correctly).

Hi,

Code:

------

installd

------

Good luck!

Best,

Mark
    Last edited by xephon; 01-23-2012 at 06:35 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to xephon For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Iphone 3GS, Jailbroken with Greenpoisi0n last year. Stuck in the boot logo loop. Using Cydia so lots of blobs backed up, itunes backup about a month ago.

Data: iphone2,1_4.2.1_8c148
    Windows 7 (64) machine only

Tried to rejailbreak with Greenpoision but it failed.

Tried Redsn0w jailbreak again, it ran but still stuck in the Greenpoision boot logo loop.

What's next ? A iTunes restore?
    Last edited by eric512; 01-23-2012 at 11:05 PM.

What's Jailbreak? dr.rickybobby's Avatar
    Thanks

Default finally found a guru
    Hello, i have 4.2.1 version iPhone, while installing pdanet from cydia my ph. crashed and it did the safe mode springboard ect. 3rd time it stayed in silver apple mode with the spinner at the bottom of the apple. i have had my ph. do the crash in the past and all i did was plug the phone in to the power cord and it would fire back up, "sweet", or hold the sleep/home and send it into restore(silver apple) and plug into the power cord and again "sweeeet".
    Not this time dudes.
    I am a pipeliner by trade. I adjoin steel pipe together through a welding process which fuses the metals together with no flaws.
    Welds are XRAYed/ heavily inspected., and now can be put into service to transfer oil/gas/diesel ect. so that we can drive our vehicles or fly to the beach or simply fly to Arizona to say hello Aunty Titter.
    Reason for sharing a little about my trade iiiis: being a pipeliner, it is physically demanding/health taxing from weld fumes ect. and very strict in that the quality control disects, eyeballs, disects and then eyeballs your pipeweld again, this trade is not for everyone and not everyone wants to or can do this. I AM only strongly stating my large large super duper duped up very extremely LARGE LARGE appreciation for a mans years of hard work and diligence to gain the wisdom and knowledge he has aquired in a technical field of expertise.

So today is the 1/24/12 this happened 1/18/12. So i have been researching the net since, knowing that there had to be a guru out there with an answer to my issue/question YAIYAH!! whether or not we are able to bring her back to life, its pretty cool to to find the smarts ive been readin in here for the last couple hour's +. My hat is off to ya. Thank you

WHAT THE DANG FRIKKIN HECK !! THANKS FER YER kNOWLEDGE I AM MAJOR APRECIATIVE
    YOURS TRULY: DR.RICKYBOBBY

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-18-2014, 12:02 PM
  2. 04-28-2014, 08:59 AM
  3. 04-27-2014, 05:51 PM
  4. 03-18-2014, 09:40 PM
  5. 03-09-2014, 06:03 AM
  6. 01-27-2014, 07:48 AM
  7. 01-21-2014, 09:43 PM
  8. 12-20-2013, 03:45 AM
  9. 12-07-2013, 02:22 AM
  10. 11-24-2013, 06:15 AM