Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 3.1.2 EXCHANGE passcode autolock time limit extend

Default Iphone 3.1.2 EXCHANGE passcode autolock time limit extend
    Hi all,
    I have been searching around how to disable exchange passcode on iphone with enterprise account thru exchange. I figured passcode has to be there and enabled so no GO there. However i was thinking since we can edit the time it takes to lock phone before it asks to enter passcode from 5 mins to upto 1 hour, can we somehow edit SOME file that would extend from 1 hour to 10 or 100 or even 1000 hours, making it not have to enter passcode so periodically, If anyone can figure can you please share, If it cant be done and someone wants to explain why that would be more than welcome too, Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by nakamoniel; 03-31-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Thanks

You can outright disable but I'm not sure about extending it. Here's how to disable it.

- Ensure iPhone is not hibernating and click Login.

delete the following file [ "/var/Managed Preferences/mobile/com.apple.springboard.plist" ]
    - On deleting this file, password settings can immediately be changed/disabled within the "Settings>General" menu - be warned you will need to enter the password before you can disable it.
    - Once the password is disabled, no reset appears to be required.
    - I have rebooted for good measure, no awkward password is required (as it happens I have now applied the 4 char pin on initial phone access, but certainly no 15 min auto-lock!) and email synch still works.

Thanks,
    But i had tried it already,
    True that it removes passcode requirement but then my exchange account wont sync anymore, It would ask me to setup passcode in order to sync it again, I am looking for sort of a solution where exchange server would sync and I wouldnt have to enter passcode so often

Thanks

I wasn't sure it would work. I know I've seen it somewhere where you can edit a plist...I'll dig around to see what I find.

-SSH into the phone as [ root ]
    -Edit the following file [ "/var/Managed Preferences/mobile/com.apple.springboard.plist" ]
    -Make the following change, setting of the key "minLength" to zero.

<key>PolicyInformation</key>
    <dict>
    <key>maxFailedAttempts</key>
    <integer>10</integer>
    <key>maxInactivity</key>
    <integer>60</integer>
    <key>minLength</key>
    <integer>0</integer>
    </dict>

e. Now go into preferences and turn autolock off.

At first I upped the "maxInactivity" to "6000" and "minLength" to "0". Then I just set the "maxInactivity" back to "60". Either way, I don't have to use the PIN anymore because the the lock is now off. Whooohooo!
    Try the part in bold.
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 03-31-2010 at 01:45 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

nakamoniel (03-31-2010)

Exactly short of the thing i was looking for, Thanks,
    Didnt have much patience to wait for 1 hour and see if it really worked, but question for you anyways. In options for passcode lock, only options I have are Immmidiately, after 1 minute, after 5 minutes, after 15 munites, after 1 hour and after 4 hours, Ofcourse i selected after 4 hours but is it max i can go? even if i made maxinactivity key integer to be 6000000? is there anywhere where i can add/edit this 4 hours restriction?

Thanks

Not sure if that can be done. I would imagine it would be a matter of finding the right plist.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to soulthoughts For This Useful Post:

nakamoniel (04-01-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

the plist you're looking for is located @:
    /Applications/Preferences.app

name of plist: Passcode Lock.plist

As indicated above, by altering the integers below you can alter the duration of time before the iPhone will require the passcode for unlocking (see below).

<key>shortTitles</key>
    <array>
    <string>ALWAYS_SHORT</string>
    <string>1_MIN</string>
    <string>5_MIN</string>
    <string>15_MIN</string>
    <string>1_HOUR_SHORT</string>
    <string>4_HOURS_SHORT</string>
    </array>
    <key>staticTextMessage</key>
    <string>SECURITY_MSG</string>
    <key>validTitles</key>
    <array>
    <string>ALWAYS</string>
    <string>1_MINUTE</string>
    <string>5_MINUTES</string>
    <string>15_MINUTES</string>
    <string>1_HOUR</string>
    <string>4_HOURS</string>
    </array>
    <key>validValues</key>
    <array>
    <integer>0</integer>
    <integer>60</integer>
    <integer>300</integer>
    <integer>900</integer>
    <integer>3600</integer>
    <integer>14400</integer>
    </array>

You may also want to alter the General.strings file as well so the UI reflects the correct label (i.e., "10 Hours", as opposed to "36000_MINUTES").

Has anyone succeeded in eliminating passcode lock with Exchange fully functional?

I tried hacking /Applications/Preferences.app/Passcode Lock.plist but didnt succeed. OS 4.3.2, and the options of 1 and 4 hours done even appear. Thanks.