+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to restore iphone 3.1.2 without update

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I jailbroke and unlocked my AT&T iPhone 3G on 3.1.2 the other day (with blackra1n) and it worked ok until just now, when it won't turn on anymore. I can
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default how to restore iphone 3.1.2 without update
    I jailbroke and unlocked my AT&T iPhone 3G on 3.1.2 the other day (with blackra1n) and it worked ok until just now, when it won't turn on anymore. I can only get as far as the apple logo.

I'm trying to restore the phone but, when I hold down the home button and connect up to iTunes, the only choice I get is "Restore and Update" and I'm concerned that it will upgrade me to 3.1.3, which I understand can't be jailbroken or unlocked.

Is there a way to restore my iPhone to 3.1.2?

Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    go here: Downgrading 3.1.3 to 3.1.2 and FIXING the No Service issue.

and try searching first next time, it will help

3. The Following User Says Thank You to digitalextremes For This Useful Post:

f_4_l_16 (03-01-2010)

Thanks

He has a 3G not 3GS all you need to do is hold down the shift key while pressing the Restore button in iTunes. Then manually select the 3.1.2 firmware file. (you need to download the FW file before restoring)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

ahdlm (06-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Don't see a Restore without Update
    Thanks for noticing my 3G (not 3GS) problem.

I had posted after having held down the shift key but iTunes didn't give me a "Restore" button. Instead, it gave me an "Restore and Update" button without an obvious manual override to use the 3.1.2 firmware.

I'm concerned about pressing the "Restore and Update" button since I think it will just update my firmware to 3.1.3.

Am I being too conservative (and I should just press it) or am I missing something? (I've downloaded the FW file but have kept it on my USB flash drive - is that ok?)

Thanks!

cyboj

iPhone? More like MyPhone CONVBMW's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyboj View Post
    Thanks for noticing my 3G (not 3GS) problem.

I had posted after having held down the shift key but iTunes didn't give me a "Restore" button. Instead, it gave me an "Restore and Update" button without an obvious manual override to use the 3.1.2 firmware.

I'm concerned about pressing the "Restore and Update" button since I think it will just update my firmware to 3.1.3.

Am I being too conservative (and I should just press it) or am I missing something? (I've downloaded the FW file but have kept it on my USB flash drive - is that ok?)

Thanks!

cyboj
    No. You are not being conservative. You are being VERY smart. Unless you want to be screwed, do not update to 3.1.3

Need more information on your phone. Baseband, old or new bootrom, etc etc. More details you give, better answers you will get.

Thanks

Just <shift> click the button, it will pop up a screen that is looking for the ipsw file.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CONVBMW View Post
    No. You are not being conservative. You are being VERY smart. Unless you want to be screwed, do not update to 3.1.3

Need more information on your phone. Baseband, old or new bootrom, etc etc. More details you give, better answers you will get.
    My iPhone 3G doesn't boot up anymore - it hangs at the apple logo - so I am unable to get any further info from the device itself. If it's of any help, I bought the phone in December 2008 and, until the jailbreak last week, I kept to whatever standard apple/iTunes updates were applied so if those things altered the system, then mine would have been altered, as well. Otherwise, it has whatever the standard AT&T iPhone 3G would have come with at the time.

Is there another way I can get the details regarding the baseband, bootrom, etc.?

Thanks,
    cyboj

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    Just <shift> click the button, it will pop up a screen that is looking for the ipsw file.
    For some reason, that's not what I get...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

When I attach my iPhone to iTunes (after pressing down the Home button), I get the iTunes icon on the iPhone and a pop up that says:
    iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.
    There is a button that says [OK], which I press (I've also tried this with the SHIFT key down although I'm pretty sure it's not the one that matters but I've run out of ideas...).

After that pop up goes away, I press and hold down the SHIFT key while I press the [Restore] button on iTunes but, instead of the pop up you describe, I get one that says:
    Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone "iPhone" to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed.
    It also says iTunes will "verify the restore with Apple" etc. The only two buttons it has are [Cancel] and [Restore and Update]. There is no restore-only button and nothing about ipsw.

If I press the [Restore and Update] button, it goes right inot a pop up telling me it will be updating to 3.1.3.

Where can I insert a request to go back to 3.1.2's ipsw?

I'm using iTunes 8 - could that be a problem?
    Last edited by cyboj; 02-11-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are on a Mac you hold option key instead of shift. If you are in windows you may have to run iTunes as admin.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

cyboj (02-11-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you're nervous about trying, just locate the directory where iTunes stores the ipsw and delete it if the 3.1.3 is there. Then you won't have to worry about doing it wrong because even if you do, iTunes would still have to download the 3.1.3 before starting the install and you'll have plenty of time to stop the process.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

cyboj (02-11-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice - it was the Option key I needed to press!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Same issues ... So did it work? Where would I find my 3.1.2 ipsw file on Mac?

Thank you in advance.

Nima

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It did work! I googled "download iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw" and grabbed one of the files there. I can't remember which particular site it was but I didn't have a problem with the first one I found (which may have been: MyTopFiles - Misc - iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw)

Good luck!

cyboj

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I too have exactly the same problem as cyboj. I have my SHSHs stored with Cydia (according to Cydia they are) I've modified my hosts file (along with a ping to check that it's going to Sauriks server) and I've tried running iTunes as administrator. Everytime it's the same, I only get the 'Restore and Update' option, which tries to force 3.1.3 on me.

I'm on Windows, so I know that 'shift' is definitely the right button to use. I'm currently on 3.0, jailbroken, model number is MC131X and my baseband is 04.26.08. If you need any more info just ask.

Please help!! I'm going crazy trying to figure this out!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stevvers View Post
    I too have exactly the same problem as cyboj. I have my SHSHs stored with Cydia (according to Cydia they are) I've modified my hosts file (along with a ping to check that it's going to Sauriks server) and I've tried running iTunes as administrator. Everytime it's the same, I only get the 'Restore and Update' option, which tries to force 3.1.3 on me.

I'm on Windows, so I know that 'shift' is definitely the right button to use. I'm currently on 3.0, jailbroken, model number is MC131X and my baseband is 04.26.08. If you need any more info just ask.

All the answers are already in this very thread.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well that's just real helpful. I've read the entirety of this thread, as well as many other tutorials on the subject. But to placate you I'll run through point by point:

hold down the shift key while pressing the Restore button in iTunes
    Tried it, next:

Just <shift> click the button
    See above, then:

If you are on a Mac you hold option key instead of shift.
    Not applicable as I'm on Vista, mentioned in my post/profile. And:

If you are in windows you may have to run iTunes as admin.
    Again, tried it. Again this is mentioned in my post. Finally:

It did work! I googled "download iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw" and grabbed one of the files there. I can't remember which particular site it was but I didn't have a problem with the first one I found
    I fail to see how having a different file would make a difference when I can't even get the dialogue box to choose the file in the first place!

Or are you referring to the tutorial linked to this thread where the advice is to change the hosts file (yet again, tried, yet again in my post) and then Restore (which gives the exact same result as the above).

So where exactly are these elusive answers you refer to?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

What version of iTunes do you run? From what I am seeing through google searches is that iTunes 8 has a problem with Shift+Restore on Vista (I never had a problem personally though). If you aren't running the latest iTunes, my first recommendation would be to upgrade to 9.0.3 and see if that helps at all.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I dont know about you Stevvers, but I had the same problem and this thread pretty much answered all the questions I shift-clicked the restore button in iTunes then selected the 3.1.2_restore ipsw. It looked like it was going to work but then i got a message that said "The phone "iPhone" cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred."

I am running XP and yes I am an administrator.
    My phone is a black 16gb, and i have updated it with every update apple has put out, with the exception of the most recent.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well that's just real helpful. I've read the entirety of this thread, as well as many other tutorials on the subject. But to placate you I'll run through point by point:

Tried it, next:

See above, then:

Not applicable as I'm on Vista, mentioned in my post/profile. And:

Again, tried it. Again this is mentioned in my post. Finally:

I fail to see how having a different file would make a difference when I can't even get the dialogue box to choose the file in the first place!

Or are you referring to the tutorial linked to this thread where the advice is to change the hosts file (yet again, tried, yet again in my post) and then Restore (which gives the exact same result as the above).

So where exactly are these elusive answers you refer to?
    I'm curious, why are you interested in going to 3.1.2? Why not just make a custom 3.1.3 firmware with pwnagetool and restore to that?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Can I use a custom firmware to upgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 on my AT&T 3GS?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    Can I use a custom firmware to upgrade from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3 on my AT&T 3GS?
    As long as it is jailbroken, yes you can. That's what I did. With both Sn0wbreeze & PwnageTool created firmwares.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to L00i3 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (02-17-2010)

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-13-2012, 01:49 PM