+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone in store demo mode - want to get out of demo mode/restore 3.1.2

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi, Today, my work gave me an iPhone 3GS, version 3.1.2. The only issue is that it is a store demo unit, and so is stuck in demo mode, which
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPhone in store demo mode - want to get out of demo mode/restore 3.1.2
    Hi,

Today, my work gave me an iPhone 3GS, version 3.1.2. The only issue is that it is a store demo unit, and so is stuck in demo mode, which is restricted in some ways (you can't rearrange home screen/remove apps, it has an annoying screen saver/promo video, some settings are missing - e.g. Erase All Content).

To get it out of demo mode, we have been told to restore the phone - however, I'd really like to keep it on 3.1.2 so I can jailbreak.

So... does anyone know of a way to get it out of demo mode? I've successfully jailbroken it, so can access the root filesystem etc. There must be something in there!

Alternatively, is there any way for me to backup my SHSH so I can restore 3.1.2? I'm guessing that now Apple have stopped signing it, this isn't possible - I did try the "store SHSH" thing in Cydia, but it's stuck on pending request, and if I'm guessing this won't work? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Tom

For future reference, I've figured it out - to get it out of demo mode and back to normal without restoring, jailbreak it and install OpenSSH, then edit the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.demo-settings.plist file (I did this by downloading it to my Mac with ssh, using Property List Editor and uploading it) and set "LockIcons" and "StoreDemoMode" to false (you might just be able to delete the file, I didn't try).

To stop the demo video from playing, delete /var/mobile/Demo.mov

Then I guess you can erase content and settings if you like. Sorted!
    Last edited by tduk; 02-05-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tduk For This Useful Post:

iceet (09-09-2010), iKillYou (05-01-2011), unklbyl (02-15-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    actually this works just delete that particular file

4. The Following User Says Thank You to killquest187 For This Useful Post:

iceet (09-09-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Bump: this worked on my iphone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Guys..
    I am in this same situation, although, I don't really the steps on the iPhone. I have done the Jailbreaking step. Install OpenSSH, Now I am currently stuck on the editing bit?. How do I get access to the plist file. If someone can dumb it down for a noob! in a step by step form. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Moregeld

My iPhone is a Part of Me korin125's Avatar
    Thanks

You need a program to SSH (eg. winscp on windows)
    then navigate to that directory and edit the file the way he said. Click on it and set the things to false

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can not find these files that need to be deleted. how do i find these files to delete?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, I don't suppose anyone in this thread who has fixed this issue would be kind enough to post a copy of the demo-settings.plist file? (it's not there on my standard non-demo phone)

I'm looking at possibly re-purposing that mode for project that involves creating a demo-mode of my own.. (so would replace the .mov file it references with my own etc)

Cheers!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ww22 View Post
    can not find these files that need to be deleted. how do i find these files to delete?
    did you manage to solve it yet? if not one easy way if you're not that technical is to use a program called 'PhoneDisk' available from macroplant.com - it's what I use for downloading/uploading files to my phone. When you attach you phone it should show up in Explorer/Finder, and you should find the file in /User/Library/Preferences

if you manage this please please save me a copy of it first though, it'd really help me out
    Last edited by dsmudger; 12-03-2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Default You Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by tduk View Post
    Hi,

Today, my work gave me an iPhone 3GS, version 3.1.2. The only issue is that it is a store demo unit, and so is stuck in demo mode, which is restricted in some ways (you can't rearrange home screen/remove apps, it has an annoying screen saver/promo video, some settings are missing - e.g. Erase All Content).

To get it out of demo mode, we have been told to restore the phone - however, I'd really like to keep it on 3.1.2 so I can jailbreak.

So... does anyone know of a way to get it out of demo mode? I've successfully jailbroken it, so can access the root filesystem etc. There must be something in there!

Alternatively, is there any way for me to backup my SHSH so I can restore 3.1.2? I'm guessing that now Apple have stopped signing it, this isn't possible - I did try the "store SHSH" thing in Cydia, but it's stuck on pending request, and if I'm guessing this won't work? Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Tom

For future reference, I've figured it out - to get it out of demo mode and back to normal without restoring, jailbreak it and install OpenSSH, then edit the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.demo-settings.plist file (I did this by downloading it to my Mac with ssh, using Property List Editor and uploading it) and set "LockIcons" and "StoreDemoMode" to false (you might just be able to delete the file, I didn't try).

To stop the demo video from playing, delete /var/mobile/Demo.mov

Then I guess you can erase content and settings if you like. Sorted!
    This works on the European iphone 5 in DEMO MODE ALSO now it is a "normal iphone 5, jailbroken, etc. i just used ifile, went to edit mode, changed the word true to false both times, shut down, rebooted, BAM!
    Thanks again!
    unklbyl