Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to downgrade your iPhone 3.1.2 (even if you've upgraded your baseband)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How to downgrade your iPhone 3.1.2 (even if you've upgraded your baseband)
    Yesterday, I got a locked iPhone 2G with official 3.1.2 firmware installed and, because the firmware was official, an upgraded baseband (05.11.xx), after searching for hours and hours for a way to unlock/downgrade it, I realized I couldn't find anything. Then my friend helped me and I finally managed to find a way to downgrade both the firmware and baseband. I'm not sure if this works on any of the new iPhones (3G, 3GS) but I know it works on the old iPhone 2G. Make sure you follow this guide EXACTLY, or it may not work:

1. Download iTunes 7.6.2.9, ZiPhone 3.0 and official firmware 1.1.4. It may work with other versions, but this is the way I did it and it worked for me.

2. Make sure your iPhone has an official firmware (any firmware, even 3.1.2 with an upgraded baseband).

3. Connect your iPhone to your computer in DFU mode (iTunes will recognize it and ask you to restore) in normal mode it will say that it's incompatible and to upgrade to iTunes 8.2, DO NOT DO THIS, thats the reason you need to be in DFU mode and not normal mode.

4. When your in restore mode, press and hold down the shift key (on Windows) or the Option key (on Mac) then click the Restore button in iTunes. A dialog box should come up. Select the 1.1.4 firmware file you downloaded in step 1 to start the restore.

5. The restore will begin but eventually, it will fail with a 1015 error. This is normal. Click Ok when the error dialog box comes up but DONT EXIT ITUNES.

* NOTE * during some of the following steps, you will see white text scroll down your iPhone, this is normal, do NOT interrupt the process *

6. Start ZiPhone and select Restart in Normal mode (I believe its in the advanced options area).

7. After your iPhone has successfully restarted in Normal mode, click Downgrade Bootloader (in ZiPhone).

8. After this is complete, select Jailbreak/Unlock/Activate in ZiPhone.

9. After the last step is complete, you now have a completely unlocked iPhone 2G running iPhone OS 1.1.4. Now it's time to upgrade to an UNLOCKED 3.1.2 (or, if you like 1.1.4, just stay where you are).

10. Follow this guide to upgrade to 3.1.2! UNLOCKED! (even though the guide says 3.1, it will work with 3.1.2)
    Tutorial: Jailbreak & Unlock iPhone 2G 3.1 Using PwnageTool

If you have any issues just contact me and I'll try to help you.
    Last edited by FelisCatusLover; 10-30-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Unhappy hey
    i tried your method man,n it dont work
    here wat happen lols
    updated to firmware 3.1.2 on my 2g,was on 2.2.1
    was also unlocked for tmobile
    now its deactivated n locked n it jus wont do nothin
    besides bein paperwight lols
    can u help me out with anythin???

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by datkidbebo View Post
    here wat happen lols

I don't think there is anything you can do, as far as I know there is no unlock currently around. You shouldn't of upgraded...sell it?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    IM me on AIM (FelisCatusLover is my screen name) and I'll be happy to walk you through the setup.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by datkidbebo View Post
    here wat happen lols
    Guess I spoke too soon, Geo has a new method coming out beginning of Nov. so you should be good.

Downgrade your 2G to 3.0 and use Ultrasnow to jailbreak and unlock it. I did it with my 2G that had 3.1.2

Default :(
    Hello, I've a little problem.
    I've upgrading to 3.1.2 using Itunes 8.2, it was running fine (i've jailbreaked this one), and now I want to go back to 1.1.4 to change my baseband (maybe the wifi issue), but I canno't ...

I've downloaded Itunes 7.6.2.9 and set my iphone 3.1.2 (official firmware again) into DFU mode ...

When Itunes see my iphone, it says "unknown error (-168)" updates server can't be contacted.

I'm into DFU mode (sure) and internet is connected...

What can I do ? Maybe go back on Itunes 7.5 ? I don't really know what to do

Thanks

Sliter med det samme. HJELP!!!!

Default Thank you so much!!!!!
    I followed the instructions, and they worked PERFECTLY!!! I thought my phone was bricked, as it had 3.1.2 and the latest baseband, but after following the instructions on here, I'm back in business!!! I don't know if i want to upgrade just yet, because I can just use my ipod touch for apps and music, but thank you SO MUCH for posting this!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pmu1124 For This Useful Post:

Laranja (11-13-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by chadgraves7814 View Post
    Downgrade your 2G to 3.0 and use Ultrasnow to jailbreak and unlock it. I did it with my 2G that had 3.1.2
    Ya got any instructions, URL's to this method?

Quote Originally Posted by pmu1124 View Post
    I followed the instructions, and they worked PERFECTLY!!! I thought my phone was bricked, as it had 3.1.2 and the latest baseband, but after following the instructions on here, I'm back in business!!! I don't know if i want to upgrade just yet, because I can just use my ipod touch for apps and music, but thank you SO MUCH for posting this!!!!
    Were you using a MAC or PC? I tried this on my PC but when I put phone in DFU mode, Itunes 7.6 never sees it. I could then unplug it and put it on my MAC and it says "you have a phone in Recovery Mode.."

Can anyone please help?

Were you using a MAC or PC? I tried this on my PC but when I put phone in DFU mode, Itunes 7.6 never sees it. I could then unplug it and put it on my MAC and it says "you have a phone in Recovery Mode.."

Can anyone please help?
    Last edited by fast_88gt; 11-13-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I was using a pc, and when I put my iphone in DFU mode, I had to play around with it in ziphone for a while, because at first, i didn't know what was going on, because my screen was black and unresponsive. Itunes will recognize it as being in recovery mode, then will atempt to download the software for it. when the software download didn't work (as expected), i didn't exit out of itunes, i used the downgrade baseband on ziphone and that worked. some white text will scroll down your screen, then i unlocked & jailbroke it...it worked fine, and this was on an iphone that had the latest baseband and 3.1.2 software on it...now it has 2.2.1 firmware and still works fine. it CAN be done, you just have to keep trying and messing with it...i hope this helped, as my instructions tend to be hard to understand sometimes...

Hi folks, will this work even if the 2G phone has been connected to a later version of iTunes? like v8 or v9... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoopy1888 View Post
    Hi folks, will this work even if the 2G phone has been connected to a later version of iTunes? like v8 or v9... Thanks
    Apparently not.... iTunes won't recognise it. It says "the iphone requires 8.2 or later"
    Any suggestions on how I can downgrade?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoopy1888 View Post
    Apparently not.... iTunes won't recognise it. It says "the iphone requires 8.2 or later"
    Any suggestions on how I can downgrade?
    Thanks
    Last edited by hoopy1888; 03-01-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I was using a pc, and when I put my iphone in DFU mode, I had to play around with it in ziphone for a while, because at first, i didn't know what was going on, because my screen was black and unresponsive. Itunes will recognize it as being in recovery mode, then will atempt to download the software for it. when the software download didn't work (as expected), i didn't exit out of itunes, i used the downgrade baseband on ziphone and that worked. some white text will scroll down your screen, then i unlocked & jailbroke it...it worked fine, and this was on an iphone that had the latest baseband and 3.1.2 software on it...now it has 2.2.1 firmware and still works fine. it CAN be done, you just have to keep trying and messing with it...i hope this helped, as my instructions tend to be hard to understand sometimes...
    Hi, what iphone version you have? 3G or 3GS?

Thank you so very very much for your instructions

Have a good day ,sir