Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to find out the bootrom version?

Default how to find out the bootrom version?
    a new bootrom version has been released that prevents the the 3GS from being jailbroken. how can you find out what bootrom version you have? i just bought a 3GS recently. ie, where is the "system profiler?"

thanks everyone
    Last edited by excmodmyi; 01-05-2010 at 04:40 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaginAsian55's Avatar
    Thanks

On a mac, just put your iphone into recovery mode (Turn off completely while NOT connected to the computer, exit itunes, hold down the home button while plugging in your phone into iTunes and it should read "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode").... once you're in recovery mode you can go to your Mac HD> Applications> Utilities> System Profiler. You should see your iPhone via USB connection. Click on it and it should have all the info there... you can use Command+Shift+4 to take an onscreen shot and save all the info as a picture file- that's what I did.

All the steps are here, as well as a Windows walk-through on how to do this...
    [Howto] Setup local 3GS restore verification server (ECID SHSH)

**This is also a good idea to do for anyone/everyone interested in JB/unlocked since all the hacking teams strongly suggest getting your ECID for your current software, especially the newest 3.1.2 fw**

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaginAsian55 For This Useful Post:

drjk24 (12-02-2009), ziggytrix (06-25-2010)

i have a pc.

i put the 3GS in recovery mode, opened usbview, checked "config descriptors," hit refresh, and looked up the device... it says nothing about the version of the bootrom. any suggestions?

bump
    Last edited by excmodmyi; 10-15-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default how to find out the bootrom version?
    Hello guys, i found lots of users worried about finding the BootRom version of their iphones. Here is a solution.

To check iPhone 3G/3GS bootrom version:

Put your iphone in DFU mode.
    (Connect your iPhone to iTunes, turn off, click power+home button for 10 seconds, leave POWER button after 10 seconds, holding HOME button)

iTunes will detect your iPhone in recovery mode.

Go To:

Start->Control Panel->Device Manager

In Universal Serial BUS Controller, you will find Apple Mobile Device USB Driver

Right Click and go to Properties, go to Details tab and select "Device Instance Path" from the drop down list box.

In that information, u will find [iBoot-359.x] at the end.

Thanks & Regards
    a_atish007

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to a_atish007 For This Useful Post:

ArcherIV (09-25-2010), bgraug (07-19-2010), jordanjones (08-18-2010), junks (06-23-2010), kooldude1411 (03-15-2010), Newbee123 (08-30-2010), threebar15 (04-07-2010), willgd (06-23-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,069 Times in 6,151 Posts

^ wow great job for a first post ever ((in over 2 years as a member, where you been buddy>)). Thx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

martinbc1 (07-23-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey thnx 4 the appreciation man, actually i got my iphone just 3 months ago, so be4 that, i wasn't involved much into n iphone ...

btw another thing is i've successfully managed to unlock my iphone 3GS 32 gigs wid OS 3.1.2, (iBoot-359.3]

blackra1n n blacksn0w works like a charm ...

so every1 out ther waitin 2 unlock their iphones wid baseband 5.11.07, jus go 4 it, it's awsme

thanx

Just a quick question, I am confused about if the iphone 3GSs with the new bootroms are still not jail breakable.... Can anybody please shade some light?!

What a great answer, thanks RaginAsian55. I was referred to this thread by someone on another thread. Both the mac and windows versions are on this thread. Great job to each of you

To clarify, ALL CURRENTLY AVAILABLE 3GS's are JAILBREAKABLE. The limitation is that the ones with the new iBoot can only be TETHERED jailbroken. That means, they can be jailbroken like any, but any time the phone reboots (due to manual reboot, software reboot, or dead battery), the phone will enter DFU mode on startup. And it can ONLY be booted up fully by connecting the phone to your PC via USB, and running the Blackra1n program on your PC or Mac. Once it boots back up, then it is in the exact state as if it had booted back up normally. Your JB and UL (if you did it) are still working.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jomo25 For This Useful Post:

adrianamkh (07-12-2010)

I just followed the directions, looking at the properties of the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver, but the bootrom isn't listed. It has VID, PID, CPID, CPRV, CPFM, SCEP, BDID ECID, IBFL, SRNM, IMEI (don't know what some of those are), but no iBoot.

Any advice? I'm trying to find my bootrom version before I jailbreak.

Thanks

N

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neal779 View Post
    I just followed the directions, looking at the properties of the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver, but the bootrom isn't listed. It has VID, PID, CPID, CPRV, CPFM, SCEP, BDID ECID, IBFL, SRNM, IMEI (don't know what some of those are), but no iBoot.

Any advice? I'm trying to find my bootrom version before I jailbreak.

Thanks

N
    Download USBView first, then:

1. Put your phone in DFU mode (make sure it's DFU mode and not recovery mode. This is where you went wrong before)
    2. Run USBView
    3. check 'Config Descriptors'
    4. hit Refresh
    5. find where it says something with Apple USB device and click on it.
    6. On the right, find where it says iBoot: 359.x.x (it's listed next to your ECID)
    Last edited by dhamien; 12-27-2009 at 07:43 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

ddog22000 (07-07-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Download USBView first, then:

6. On the right, find where it says iBoot: 359.x.x (it's listed next to your ECID)
    Perhaps Apple has removed this information from the output. There is no occurrence of the term "boot" in the USBView output for me either.

Perhaps the current rule-of-thumb should be, "If you can't find 'iBoot' in the output, your bootrom is too new."

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toru_MSB View Post
    Perhaps Apple has removed this information from the output. There is no occurrence of the term "boot" in the USBView output for me either.

Perhaps the current rule-of-thumb should be, "If you can't find 'iBoot' in the output, your bootrom is too new."
    That could be the case, as I can't really test it since I personally have the old boot.

What could also be the case is that people put it in Recovery Mode and not DFU Mode.

When I do it myself, it won't work in recovery mode, but will in DFU mode.

You can see which mode you're in just two lines above the line where you can read your ECID number. It'll read either "Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode) or "Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode) where DFU mode is the one you want to be able to find your iBoot version.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Toru_MSB (01-08-2010)

I don't think you guys are really getting it into DFU mode. I have a week 46 3GS and if you follow these instructions you will get it into DFU mode.

How to put your iPhone in DFU mode :

1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
    2. Turn iPhone off.
    3. Hold power and home together for 10 seconds (exactly).
    4. Release power but keep holding home until the computers beeps (observed on a PC) as a USB device is recognized.
    5. A few seconds later iTunes should detect your iPhone.
    6. If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.

(windows machines only)
    Download USB view: http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities/usbview.zip

Open it.. go to options the check config descriptors.

The file and refresh. Go down to Apple Mobile device (make sure it says DFU mode and not recovery mode) click on it and look to the right it clearly says iboot xxx.x.x

It took me a few times to get it right but once I did I seen it. I have the new iBoot and its tethered. Until Geohot or the Devteam get something out there we are stuck. Until the next nerd comes by and figures it out.

You don't need to restore out of DFU mode either you can just hold the power and home button down till you see the apple logo and let it restart.
    Last edited by Truckerbear; 01-05-2010 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    8 gig iPhone Edge 2G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using bootneuter and blackra1n.
    8 gig iPhone 3G (first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using Whited00r CFW
    16 gig iPhone 3GS (new bootrom): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/limera1n.
    16 gig Wifi iPad first day iPad JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig Wifi/3G iPad first day iPad UNLKD/JB using greenpois0n.
    32 gig iPhone 4(first day iPhone): UNLKD/JB using ultrasn0w/greenpois0n
    Apps: 157 installed 25 developed.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Truckerbear For This Useful Post:

cadsii (03-22-2010), jCandel101 (10-13-2010), karthikppillai (06-30-2010), kooldude1411 (03-15-2010), threebar15 (04-07-2010), Toru_MSB (01-08-2010)

Yes, you are both right - I was seeing Recovery mode and not DFU mode. And yes, it does seem to be tricky to get DFU mode, but I did finally get DFU mode and have observed the iBoot version.

Thanks!

I have iphone 3GS with bootrom 359.3.2. Can this be unlocked with problems with blackrain? Or it is only tethered unlcoked?? Is there any other for unlocking this new boot rom?

guys

i bought a locked iphone 3gs 3.1.3 with 05.12.01 yesterday for cheap price. could you please tell m how to tethered unlock iphone 3gs 3.1.3 as untethered isnt available yet?

cheers

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dying4004 View Post
    guys

i bought a locked iphone 3gs 3.1.3 with 05.12.01 yesterday for cheap price. could you please tell m how to tethered unlock iphone 3gs 3.1.3 as untethered isnt available yet?

cheers
    You can't jailbreak it in any way and you can't unlock it in any way. The only way to use it is with official firmware, with an official carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckerbear View Post
    The file and refresh. Go down to Apple Mobile device (make sure it says DFU mode and not recovery mode) click on it and look to the right it clearly says iboot xxx.x.x
    i reseted an unlocked iphone 3GS and being a novice (and a fool), restored it last week. today it says, insert a valid sim-card, and keeps showing the itunes - usb logo.
    i had no idea about my firmware until tried whats said on this forum, it says : iboot 359.3 (thats it and not in 359.x.x format)

what firmware is it? is it 3.1.3 or something else?? (am a newbie iphone user!)
    are there any slim chances of jailbreaking/unlocking?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rishikesh View Post
    i reseted an unlocked iphone 3GS and being a novice (and a fool), restored it last week. today it says, insert a valid sim-card, and keeps showing the itunes - usb logo.
    i had no idea about my firmware until tried whats said on this forum, it says : iboot 359.3 (thats it and not in 359.x.x format)

what firmware is it? is it 3.1.3 or something else?? (am a newbie iphone user!)
    are there any slim chances of jailbreaking/unlocking?
    The 359.3 is actually the bootrom version and doesn't have anything to do with firmware. You have an old bootrom though, so your phone can accept custom firmwares. It doesn't do you much good now, but once a jailbreak is released, you can be secured indefinitely by only using custom firmwares.

To conclude, no jailbreaking/unlocking for you for a while.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast