View Poll Results: Purplera1n or Redsn0w

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Purplera1n

131 63.90%
  • Redsn0w

74 36.10%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g[s] Jailbreak/Unlock Redsn0w vs. Purplera1n

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

i used purplera1n RC2

works fine, still WAAAY faster in respringing than the 3G was...

winterboard works fine for me
    not sure about push though, the only push app i use is BeeJive IM

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    lmao

I am sending this to geohot. This is great
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 07-08-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    lmao

I am sending this to geohot. This is great
    LOL, I try...
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Puprplera1n RC2 FTW!!!!! Works flawlessly!!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

purplera1n worked perfectly for me. NO problems whatsoever with push, wifi, winterboard, etc.. So fast and easy too.

Quote Originally Posted by mx727 View Post
    Use iPhoneBrowser, navigate to Library/Themes folder.

For any theme that you want to use, you need to find the Text.png file and rename it Messages.png. Look in the icons folder for each theme that you want to change. Right click on the Text.png and select Rename.

The "M" must be capitalized. Apple changed the name of the SMS app to Messages and that's why the previous themes aren't changing the right icon.

If you've got this far, you should be able to see how easy it is to modify any theme and make it your own. As an assignment, make a custom icon for Voice Memos. Begin by copying an icon from your theme to your desktop, so you have a size template to work with in your favorite graphic or photo editor.
    Thanks but that doesn't work....there is no text.png ? Bubble.png
    and background.png. But no text.png.
    Do you have another suggestion ?

Quote Originally Posted by skyeking69 View Post
    Thanks but that doesn't work....there is no text.png ? Bubble.png
    and background.png. But no text.png.
    Do you have another suggestion ?
    Text.png is the name of the icon. It can be found in your theme folder. He was telling you that to get the icon to work you need to change the name of the icon from Text.png to Messages.png

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Text.png is the name of the icon. It can be found in your theme folder. He was telling you that to get the icon to work you need to change the name of the icon from Text.png to Messages.png
    PM sent

would redsnow and purplerain work on a 3g bc i tryed but didnt work on neither any help ?

quick question...i have a 3g that i jb with redsnow...everything seems to be working fine, been running it for bout 3 weeks...only problem i'm having is push is not working correctly (IMs don't come thru all the time, it will work for a few messages and then it stops til i reboot or resinstall the IM app) anyways my question is, is there any benefits to re-jb the phone and using PR, instead of redsnow? is it really even nessary to do that? and if i did decide to restore fresh again (i do this every once and awhile) should i just use PR this time?

I have a 16gb 3gs I used purplerain, had a hard time activating also tried redsnow and could not get icy to work

Quote Originally Posted by zani1972 View Post
    would redsnow and purplerain work on a 3g bc i tryed but didnt work on neither any help ?
    redsn0w or Pwnage tool will work for the 3g, PM me if you need some help
    Quote Originally Posted by lunercrab View Post
    quick question...i have a 3g that i jb with redsnow...everything seems to be working fine, been running it for bout 3 weeks...only problem i'm having is push is not working correctly (IMs don't come thru all the time, it will work for a few messages and then it stops til i reboot or resinstall the IM app) anyways my question is, is there any benefits to re-jb the phone and using PR, instead of redsnow? is it really even nessary to do that? and if i did decide to restore fresh again (i do this every once and awhile) should i just use PR this time?
    You can re-jailbreak, and rather than using hacktivate, activate your phone with a valid at&t sim card. This will enable your push notifications.
    Last edited by Melech518; 07-08-2009 at 06:59 PM.

You can re-jailbreak, and rather than using hacktivate, activate your phone with a valid at&t sim card. This will enable your push notifications.
    ok i don't want to go too far off topic, but i thought about trying the att sim way...quick does it need to be an unactivated sim or can it just be any att sim that say a friend has? and then what i restore the phone, use the att sim, and activate it thru itunes right? i don't need to have att to activate it right (i'm on tmo)...and then once i do that should i use redsnow to re-jb, or should i use the new PR? thanks...

I used Redsnow to jailbreak my 3gs today, I have everything working fine but I need to get slingbox on 3g so I tried to instal tricker 3g and it would not let me has anyone been able to get it to work? And not tricker 3g is gone in cynda too. Thanks, Jay

Purplera1ned my 3Gs and it worked flawlesly! My problems came after installing categories... Did a restore made it rain again and installed sbsettings before anything else. Installed categories again and it kept putting me back in safe mode and a reboot would not fix. Turned of categories in sbsettings and all was well. Also I seem to have lost mail settings after installing categories

I jailbroke with purplera1n rc1 on my work computer windows xp sp2. The jailbreak didn't take until my 4th or 5th try. Since RC1 didn't have some sort of patches required for Winterboard to work, RC2 was released and I simply jailbroke over the rc1 installation. That seemed to solve my mobileterminal issues and whatever other unknown issues I wasn't aware of after I did that. It was nice NOT having to restore just to rejailbreak I must say. The second jailbreak attempt with rc2 on my home computer went smoother with just one attempt windows vista home premium 32bit. I am an AT&T customer so no need to hacktivate. However, I have captured those files needed for future jailbreak/unlock for when I sell this phone a year from now like I do all my iPhones lol. Push notification works no probs.

A few things seem to be out of wack though. I'm not sure if these are app compatibility issues or purplera1n rc2 issues. But it seems that I cannot mod my keyboard theme at all (stuck with Apple's stock keyboard), my lockscreen battery does not appear when I am in a different theme (in this case Eraser2). The battery for that theme appeared before on my 3G so not sure what's going on there. I was having some issues with my Bluetooth but I shut the phone down and restarted, it seems to work but I've never experienced that before.

I was reading that redsn0w v0.8 is more stable than purplera1n rc2. I don't feel like rejailbreaking again if I have to restore. If I could simply use redsn0w and rejailbreak over my purplera1n installation then I'd do it if there will be no issues. But maybe I'll just wait until update 3.1 My phone works well for the most part and my minor gripes aren't really worth the extra hassle I foresee with my proposal to rejailbreak with redsn0w.

iPhone 3G[S] 32GB Black
    purplera1n rc1/rc2 jailbreak

Can someone answer this simple question? I've seen it talked about but I am VERY unsure...

Scenario: Already jailbroke with purplera1n rc1. Jailbroke again with purplera1n rc2 over rc1 (did not restore). redsn0w for 3GS was released.

Question: Can one rejailbreak over purplera1n rc2 with redsn0w 0.8 (windows) without having to restore?
    Last edited by kiddoko; 07-08-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Big kid playing with iPhone! Learning as I go...

The internet stuff you've read that says redsn0w is more stable than purplera1n are not quite correct. Most of those articles are comparing redsn0w to purplera1n RC1, not RC2.

The theme problems you are seeing are due to Apple changing some of the file names and locations for the keyboard and SMS images. Others have reported BT problems with unmodified phones, so I believe that may be an Apple problem too.

If everything else is working, I'd stay put for now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mx727 For This Useful Post:

kiddoko (07-08-2009)

i tried to JB a 3G S today and it was no go with redn0w my iphone just stayed on with a black screen and redsn0w was just sitting there saying waiting for reboot. i waited for like 5 min and just cancelled and power within 5 mins i was jailbroken using purplera1n gotta love it

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Gyngabread Man For This Useful Post:

kiddoko (07-08-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by mx727 View Post
    The internet stuff you've read that says redsn0w is more stable than purplera1n are not quite correct. Most of those articles are comparing redsn0w to purplera1n RC1, not RC2.

The theme problems you are seeing are due to Apple changing some of the file names and locations for the keyboard and SMS images. Others have reported BT problems with unmodified phones, so I believe that may be an Apple problem too.

If everything else is working, I'd stay put for now.
    Hey thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking more to stay put anyway. But I am so trigger happy. I actually have redsn0w waiting for me to connect my iPhone in recovery mode as I was typing all of this lol. Was waiting for someone to tell me "yeah sure go ahead it's not a problem, works like a charm no need to restore". Asking for trouble I know. But I'll stick with rc2 and wait for 3.1. Everything actually works well except for those minor things.
    Big kid playing with iPhone! Learning as I go...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kiddoko For This Useful Post:

Polarstar000 (07-10-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by lunercrab View Post
    ok i don't want to go too far off topic, but i thought about trying the att sim way...quick does it need to be an unactivated sim or can it just be any att sim that say a friend has? and then what i restore the phone, use the att sim, and activate it thru itunes right? i don't need to have att to activate it right (i'm on tmo)...and then once i do that should i use redsnow to re-jb, or should i use the new PR? thanks...
    It can be ANY at&t sim, it does not need to be activated. Use Purplera1n!!

Quote Originally Posted by jnb1966 View Post
    I used Redsnow to jailbreak my 3gs today, I have everything working fine but I need to get slingbox on 3g so I tried to instal tricker 3g and it would not let me has anyone been able to get it to work? And not tricker 3g is gone in cynda too. Thanks, Jay
    Tricker 3g has not been working yet....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

lunercrab (07-08-2009)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast