+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak iPhone 2G with no SIM

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
As the title states, I'm having a heck of a time with this. Here's the info. I purchased the original iPhone and used it thru the end of my contract.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Jailbreak iPhone 2G with no SIM
    As the title states, I'm having a heck of a time with this. Here's the info.

I purchased the original iPhone and used it thru the end of my contract. When I renewed, I ended up with a blackberry so it was more compatible with work. 3 months later my employer decided to buy us all VZW cell phones - I ended up dumping my blackberry and the att contract and oops, the SIM too. Now I have this great phone that was super expensive that I would like to use as an iPod Touch. Already own it right?

I first tried to download QuickPWN and jailbreak the phone. However, when I get to the screen with the 3 devices on it, the program won't let me choose the iPhone - it just sits there. I'm thinking that my firmware is too old (read that it needs to be 2.x.x) and I think I'm still down in the 1.x.x

Reading thru the forums, I then found ZiPhone. I followed someone else's directions for the same install hoping for good results. No matter if I select the "Jailbreak Unlock and Activate" button or just the "Unlock and Activate" button I get the same error message which is as follows:

Checking ZiPhone integrity...
    ppc
    Searching for iPhone...
    USBMuxListenerCreate: Unknown error: 0

I've tried restarting the phone, restarting my computer, switching USB ports, syncing with the doc, syncing with just the 32 pin cord, and have been reading for the past three hours and nothing. Any thoughts?

If I was to buy a sim card from eBay and pop it in, would that work? THey're only 4 bucks or so and seem like it would get me passed the "SIM card required to activate" screen on the phone.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,682 Times in 5,945 Posts

Welcome to MMi

Ziphone is not the answer. You don't want to use that.
    I think you should sync with iTunes and upgrade to what ever firmware you want.
    3.0 has just been released and you might as well go there for the features.
    Here's a link that should help you out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. I guess I should have clarified a little more as to why I don't seem to be able to update the firmware. I'm sure it's just a matter of missing a step, but here's what happens:

Turn iPhone on and it tells me, " No SIM card installed Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate iPhone.

Plug iPhone in and iTunes will launch telling me, "iTunes cannot activate your iPhone because the SIM card is not inserted or a SIM PIN is required. Disconnect your iPhone, make sure your SIM card is inserted correctly and, if you use a SIM PIN, tap Unlock to enter it and then reconnect your phone."

So at this point I'm ASSUMING the problem is that I don't have a SIM card, which won't let me update my firmware, which is keeping me from jailbreaking it with pwnage? Again, I'm assuming here and wanted to check in with others who may have had this issue before I run out and spend money on something that's not actually the issue.

Thanks so much.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Are you using windows or mac

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgasdiver View Post
    Thanks for the response. I guess I should have clarified a little more as to why I don't seem to be able to update the firmware. I'm sure it's just a matter of missing a step, but here's what happens:

Turn iPhone on and it tells me, " No SIM card installed Insert a valid SIM with no PIN lock to activate iPhone.

Plug iPhone in and iTunes will launch telling me, "iTunes cannot activate your iPhone because the SIM card is not inserted or a SIM PIN is required. Disconnect your iPhone, make sure your SIM card is inserted correctly and, if you use a SIM PIN, tap Unlock to enter it and then reconnect your phone."

So at this point I'm ASSUMING the problem is that I don't have a SIM card, which won't let me update my firmware, which is keeping me from jailbreaking it with pwnage? Again, I'm assuming here and wanted to check in with others who may have had this issue before I run out and spend money on something that's not actually the issue.

Thanks so much.
    just jailbreak with redsn0w.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

post is 2 months old, problem was cured via a million PM's lust sayin'

Thanks

Oh sorry blkcadi. I didn't see the date on the first post.
    It just showed up in my new posts so I answered
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

Thanks

^no worries love

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i am havin that issue too.... on itunes it just says welcome to yournew iphone.... and i tried redsnow.... dont work....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabylan View Post
    i am havin that issue too.... on itunes it just says welcome to yournew iphone.... and i tried redsnow.... dont work....
    We need details.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi there, I am having EXACTLY the same problem with my A1203.

unfortunately you found a solution but did not post it in this thread, rendering this thread useless. I excitedly read your problem and the responses only to get to the end you say that you found the solution after a million PMs.

Can anyone help with this? I have had this Iphone sitting there for 3 months now, unusable due to the exactly same problem.

It was functioning fine but then I restored the iphone via the Options on the IPhone (not using Itunes). I removed the original SIM and threw it in the bin because I had moved to Brasil and the Australian chip I thought was useless.
    Last edited by JusA1203; 10-27-2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,642 Posts

All 2g iphones can be jailbroken for life

If you do not know what version is on your iphone , you can press this
    *3001#12345#*

If it is not 3.1.3, put your iphone into recovery and hit restore in itunes.

Then read this, you can hactivate, jailbreak and unlock without a sim

http://modmyi.com/guides/how-jailbre...-windows-os-x/
    Last edited by iYeow; 10-27-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    All 2g iphones can be jailbroken for life

If you do not know what version is on your iphone , you can press this
    *3001#12345#*

If it is not 3.1.3, put your iphone into recovery and hit restore in itunes.

Then read this, you can hactivate, jailbreak and unlock without a sim

http://modmyi.com/guides/how-jailbre...-windows-os-x/
    That link is dead. "Page Not Found"

Thanks