Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to install previous firmware version?

Default How to install previous firmware version?
    I was wondering if it's possible to select a specific, older, firmware file in iTunes to install onto the iPhone, instead of letting it download the latest version.

The reason for this is that I expect my iPhone any day now, but I also think that a new firmware version will be out soon, for which no unlocking tools are available yet. As the phone probably comes with 1.0 installed, and I would like to get started right away, I would like to force install 1.0.2 on it. I do have the firmware file stored on my harddrive.

Thanks!

I'd like to know if there's a way also.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

No. Not yet. Unless you already have it on your computer through iTunes (have to connect an iPhone though) and when it checks the update server you tell it not to.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

I believe I read somewhere that there is an "undocument" toggle key (Command, Option, or something) you have to press while selecting the Restore in iTunes, which let you then select a locally stored firmware file.

Can someone try/confirm this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
    I was wondering if it's possible to select a specific, older, firmware file in iTunes to install onto the iPhone, instead of letting it download the latest version.

The reason for this is that I expect my iPhone any day now, but I also think that a new firmware version will be out soon, for which no unlocking tools are available yet. As the phone probably comes with 1.0 installed, and I would like to get started right away, I would like to force install 1.0.2 on it. I do have the firmware file stored on my harddrive.

Thanks!
    Hold down Shift key and click Restore. Then choose your restore file.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kenmaster For This Useful Post:

qbie (09-25-2007)

This is exactly what I was looking for since my girlfriend gets careless sometimes and forgets not to update anything on her iPhone unless instructed by me first since we switched to T-Mobile again. I don't want our phones to be paper weights. Thanks for this thread.

I too was looking for this. I have an iPhone on the way from the US and am going to unlock it for my Orange SIM.

I have already downloaded the 1.0.2 firmware in preparation but was worried about not being able to install it if 1.1.1 comes out.

I love this forum

q

has any1 tried this "shift and click restore" thing??? has it worked?

it shouldnt matter anyway.

If the FW release comes out, you can still use AppTapp to Jailbreak your phone and then do everything as you normally would with iBrickr.

Dont fuss, they'll be a work around.
    myRepoSpace.com - Easily create your own Cydia Repo.

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

Latest firmware that we know and have is 1.0.2 . If you have your phone now, just connect it to itunes and restore. And if your phone is coming in a few days, i doubt if it will have 1.1.1 on it.

but i hanvt got my phone yet . i ordered yesterday.... so if i get it now it might be updating time..

Help plz . does shift click restore work?
    Last edited by ryutaro; 09-26-2007 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have an iPhone that is currently at my relative's house in the States. I'll be going there to pick it up in about a week or two. If the iPhone has 1.0.2 pre-installed, great (ordered at apple.com mid-Sept). If not, and it has 1.0.1, I have the 1.0.2 file that i downloaded from this site. Would i be able to use the shift + click method to restore to 1.0.2 from iTunes even if 1.1.1 is already out by then (and iTunes would want it to upgrade to 1.1.1)..

Default Yes, there is a way
    You can upload any firmware if you have it in your computer
    Open iTunes and Option- Click in the restore button and it will prompt a window, so you can select the file.

So Simple

Good Look
    Atte El Min

Quote Originally Posted by ryutaro View Post
    has any1 tried this "shift and click restore" thing??? has it worked?
    Yes it worked very well... five times, five phones.
    Last edited by minstore; 09-27-2007 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have firmware 1.1.1 in my new iphone and have tried several times to restore the 1.0.2 firmware (downloaded from here) and haven't been able to do so. After iTunes decompresses the files i get "An Unknown Error Has Ocuured" and the iPhone is not restored. I am still stuck with 1.1.1 and haven't been able to jailbrake, activate or unlock.

Heeelp Plis

Does any one know where is this 1.0.2 firmware file. I have it at the XP but when I cannot find this in my Vista. Are they stored at different location?

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

i have Vista..mine is on
    Documents and Settings\<me>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Quote Originally Posted by damesio View Post
    I have firmware 1.1.1 in my new iphone and have tried several times to restore the 1.0.2 firmware (downloaded from here) and haven't been able to do so. After iTunes decompresses the files i get "An Unknown Error Has Ocuured" and the iPhone is not restored. I am still stuck with 1.1.1 and haven't been able to jailbrake, activate or unlock.

Heeelp Plis
    ive also tried this and come up with the same result....HELP PLEASE

I don't think you can downgrade, if thats what you are trying to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast