+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I want to "re-jailbreak"

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Hi all, My phone is laggy as fook atm and apps keep freezing and crashing. I want to restore my phone (staying on 2.2, I don't want to update to
    Thanks

Question I want to "re-jailbreak"
    Hi all,

My phone is laggy as fook atm and apps keep freezing and crashing. I want to restore my phone (staying on 2.2, I don't want to update to 2.21 and break the unlock) and then jailbreak it again freshly.

What's the best way to do this? A link to some step by step instructions would be brilliant!
    What do I need to manually back up? What about purchased Cydia apps such as Snapture, MySMS, SwirlyMMS etc? Will they just detect my license when I reinstall it?

Thanks!

Thanks

Do what I do

Restore ---> Jailbreak ---> Spend forever re-downloading and re-installing everything
    Last edited by LastSonOfKrypton; 05-16-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Make sure you reset your iphone regularly to help prevent app crashes.A decent amt of Available Memory is usually helpful

Thanks

Yeah I reboot the device every now and again, but I've installed and uninstalled so much crap on it since jailbreaking that it's just not running too great.

What do I manually need to back up? What does restoring wipe?

So it's like this:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881

Shift restore, choose the standard 2.2 FW file, then jailbreak using QuickPWN? I'm happy with that, I'm just nervous incase I forget to back up something crucial that I want to keep.

So far I've backed up:

- Theme files I've edited
    - SMS.db
    - Ringtones
    - DCIM folder (photos)
    - CallHistory
    - Videos

I've also right clicked on the iPhone in iTunes and told it to do a backup.

Anything else? Obviously the music/contacts/emails will go, but they will just sync from iTunes again, correct?

Just out of curiosity, what does 2.2.1 have over 2.2? is it worth loosing the ability to unlock just for this update? I never know, I may want to unlock it and use it as a PAYG handset when my contract runs out...
    Last edited by Amraam; 05-16-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You don't need to worry about any official stuff (eg, photos, contacts etc) the backup sees to them.
    All your cydia apps will go but there are a couple of apps in cydia (Appbackup and aptbackup) that help - I can't remember which one is best! They will just save a copy of which apps you have and re-download them all in one easy go.
    What they won't do is backup any of your settings/themes for cydia.
    If you are restoring you might want to download one of the custom 2.21 ROMS that members here have kindly posted that have 2.28 BB.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Amraam (05-17-2009)

Thanks

brilliant thanks mate. Do you have a link to that firmware please?

Is a restore a complete harddrive wipe?
    Last edited by Amraam; 05-17-2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/3970161-post3.html

Check out this link from a custom firmware I requested. If you use it please thank Xfsasx for hosting it. It preserves the 2.28.00 baseband.

I am on AT&T, but wanted it so I can sell the phone unlocked.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Amraam (05-17-2009)

Thanks

Thanks CC - I know reeko has posted one as well and I downloaded one from someone else - I'm ashamed to say I don't know who and can't find it now
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Amraam (05-17-2009)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

No problem confucious. I am constantly searching for stuff on here too. I just got the firmware recently and since I made the original request it was easy to find

Thanks

Love your avatar BTW

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Aptbackup creates a list of Cydia installed apps. That 'list' is stored with the iTunes backup. So after you reinstall, jb, etc. Connect to iTunes and restore from the last iTunes (not sync) backup. From Cydia install Aptbackup and run 'restore' from within Aptbackup. It will download and install all Cydia apps.

The only thing I don't like about Aptbackup is the list is everything. Including Cydia apps which are already installed -- but it works. I usually edit the list and remove already installed Cydia apps, but that's your choice.

Note: Do the iTunes sync and installing Apple apps LAST!!! after everything else is done.

Note2: /private/var/Mobile/Library contains everything important (contacts, calendar, sms, call history, etc, etc). I always make an SSH backup of this folder, just in case
    Last edited by Mes; 05-17-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/3970161-post3.html

Check out this link from a custom firmware I requested. If you use it please thank Xfsasx for hosting it. It preserves the 2.28.00 baseband.

I am on AT&T, but wanted it so I can sell the phone unlocked.
    Done and done. Thanks to all 3 of you!

Do I just select this as normal when I shift click on restore?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    Do I just select this as normal when I shift click on restore?
    When you shift click you get to chose which ipsw to restore - just make sure you restore the one you've downloaded!

Have fun

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    When you shift click you get to chose which ipsw to restore - just make sure you restore the one you've downloaded!

Have fun
    Thanks! By having a 1GB OS partition, how much will I lose for music etc compared to normal? Is the normal one 512GB?

Just to confirm, that IPSW is 2.2.1 on 2.28 BB, regardless of the bootloader?

Thanks

Sorry, I know very little about OS partition sizes - I believe that was far more relevant in 2G days and don't know if it affects your storage.

The ipsw is independent of your BL though.

Thanks

My bootloader is 5.09, so it should work? I know that rolling back from 2.30 to 2.28 is impossible with 5.09 BL, however this won't involve that. As I understand it, this IPSW simply updates to 2.2.1 without changing the BaseBand, correct?

Thanks

Yup, you've got it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Yup, you've got it.

Cool, so if you don't hear back from me, I'll be mourning the loss of my favourite toy...

Thanks

how do i edit the aptbackup list? and about "losing" ability to unlock...? i restored my phone and put 2.2.1 on it last month, i also unlocked it again at that time, and so i'm unlocked as before. i forgot to run aptbackup, but i plan to after i upgrade to 3.0 when it comes out. thanks, all

oh--i forgot! there's a custom fw that gives you a gig partition (vs 512 or whatever)? i'd love that, as i have like 7% only on mine. i deleted all the language stuff (except english) to bring it to that from 5%. i asked my programmer kid if it were possible to get more and he doubted it, but then, he never had a jailbroken iphone.
    Last edited by iquanyin; 05-17-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    Cool, so if you don't hear back from me, I'll be mourning the loss of my favourite toy...
    Post back to let us know when it's worked!
    or if you have a problem.
    it's always nice to hear a happy ending.