+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple flashes first gen iPhone Baseband with 3.0 Firmware Beta 5

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Exclamation Apple flashes first gen iPhone Baseband with 3.0 Firmware Beta 5
    Is Apple planning to relock first gen iPhones?

For a while now, since firmware 2.0, first gen iPhone owners have been able to update their devices to 2.1, 2.2 and 2.2.1 without fear of their device relocking. This may soon be over. According to a thread over on Hackint0sh, it seems that iPhone Firmware 3.0 Beta 5 re-locks/re-flashes the baseband to 04.05.04_G if you restore the device to 3.0 Beta 5. If you have updated your first gen iPhone to 3.0 Beta 5, you will get signal but if you have to restore your deivce using 3.0 Beta 5 you will loose your signal/unlock. We know that the 04.05.04_G baseband is being reflashed because users that are downgrading to 2.2.1 are still reporting the first gen iPhones to be locked. There are a couple solutions that seem to be working:

Method 1

1. Restore back to 2.2.1 original and run the official quickpwn + unlock baseband. (you need the bin files etc.)

2. Update to beta 5 and see if the unlock stays

3. activate and jailbreak with the quickpwn + cydia OR

Method 2

1. Restore to beta 5

2. activate and jailbreak with the quickpwn + cydia

3. pray that terminal can be installed again and if it works

4. Install bootneuter from cydia

5. Try bootneuter if it does not work you can open terminal and use the procedure that a simple unlock

If you have a neutered bootloader, the following patches achieve the anySIM unlock

Just patch the .fls and feed both the .fls and .eep to the bbupdater that gets installed in /Applications/BootNeuter.app/bin by the Dev Team IPSW Builder. dd if=/dev/zero of=ICE04.05.04_G.fls bs=1 seek=2333696 count=4 conv=notrunc

Method 3

1. So restore to beta 5

2. QuickPWN for 3.0 Beta 5 (NON iPhone Dev Team Tool/Support) 2. Setup Wifi

3. Start Cydia

4. Download bootneuter

5. Run bootneuter (sometimes it hangs on startup)

6. Switch Unlock back on

7. press flash

According to users, Method 1 is working

Again the Dev Team have warned against updating your device to the 3.0 Betas, especially if you have an iPhone 3G as Yellowsn0w may not be able to work once you have updated or restored your device to 3.0 Beta. The QuickPwn Tools being used to jailbreak the 3.0 Betaís is a hacked version of the iPhone Dev Teams work and is to be used at your own risk and with no support or endrsement from them.

The only way to truly re lock the first gen iPhones is to update the bootloader which many have speculated is too dangerous to do at the risk of bricking hundreds maybe even thousands of iPhones during the process. The bootloader so far has not been tampered with so BootNeuter will still work, but the stability of the baseband is still being tested and is questionable with Arb saying that his phone sometimes locks and freezes after coming out of sleep mode.

With the 2 year contracts expiring soon for first gen customers, rumors of Apple in talks with other carriers and a new device(s) on the horizon itís going to be interesting to see what Apple does next.

Thanks to ArB for the tip on Hackint0sh.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to justbecause For This Useful Post:

kraklist (05-15-2009)

Thanks

holy crap thanks man ill check and see if it works

step 2 with the terminal bit is kinda confusing would like some step by step if its not asking for too much
    and step 3 doesn not work for me im trying number 1 right now

with step three my carrier just continuously searches for att
    Last edited by kraklist; 05-15-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

unlock it in the 2.2.1 with bootneuter and restore to 3.0 and it will work because the baseband is intact

Thanks

The Bootloader cannot be changed so the 2G will always be unlockable.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Method 3 Works Just Find.....

that works for me.....

Apple didnt upgrade the Baseband they just relocked it....

Thanks

i used the boot neuter technique just check 4.6 not 3.9 and fake blank and unlock and then flash let it do its thang for a while and now mines works just fine

Thanks

I can confirm that method 3 works just fine!

Thanks
    With a bit of arsing about because bootneuter kept locking up and it said there was somehting called commcentre loaded, I ended up getting my (non3g) iPhone working with my Virgin Mobile SIM.

I restored (instead of updating - by accident god job i backed it up first!) using the itunes 8.2

JB with QuickPwn

Using Cydia I downloaded BootNeuter (which says its for v 2.1 still, but it works)

Played with and swore at BootNeuter for about 10 mins and we're off.

2G iPhone, version 3 BETA5, unlocked, Jailbroken.
    Last edited by only1pj; 05-23-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by only1pj View Post
    With a bit of arsing about because bootneuter kept locking up and it said there was somehting called commcentre loaded, I ended up getting my (non3g) iPhone working with my Virgin Mobile SIM.

I restored (instead of updating - by accident god job i backed it up first!) using the itunes 8.2

JB with QuickPwn

Using Cydia I downloaded BootNeuter (which says its for v 2.1 still, but it works)

Played with and swore at BootNeuter for about 10 mins and we're off.

2G iPhone, version 3 BETA5, unlocked, Jailbroken.
    Basically what I did as well to get it working.

Restore though meant uTube not working. How about on yours?

Next time will set as new phone and then restore after uTube gets authorised.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

The baseband has not changed with beta 5 for the 2G.

Thanks
    Yeah, ~YouTube didnt work. I never usually use it on the iphone anyway but when I went to look at something it just says "Cannot connect to youtube".
    Never mind, no great loss.
    Anyone got a list (or link to a list) of feature which are meant to have changed in beta 5? I havent really noticed any differences. Messages and safari takes a while to open up fully though...