+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: QuickPwn 2.1 to 2.2 - How do I backup with WinSCP?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
Yes, I'm a n00b. Yes, I did do a search, but didn't come up with much useful info... I want to move from 2.1 to 2.2 on my 3G iPhone.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default QuickPwn 2.1 to 2.2 - How do I backup with WinSCP?
    Yes, I'm a n00b. Yes, I did do a search, but didn't come up with much useful info...

I want to move from 2.1 to 2.2 on my 3G iPhone. I have a fair amount of data and non-Apple apps, as well as a rather involved Categories setup. I'd rather not have to do ALL this again!

Since I can connect to my iPhone with WinSCP and see all the files, I should be able to backup what I want and restore it later, right? Can anyone point me in the right direction for this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Im presuming you know how to use WinSCP to backup files.

Now, there are 2 things you need to do.

Best way to backup Cydia apps is the following..

Quote Originally Posted by andreev2001
    1. First we need a backup of our list of installed packages before update/restore the firmware.
    2. Use terminal or PuTTY. You have to be a root. Here is the magic command creating you backup list: “dpkg --get-selections > /private/var/MyPackages.list”
    3. Transfer /private/var/MyPackages.list to your PC or MAC using your favorite application. WinSCP works fine for me.
    4. Now you can restore/update the firmware. Jailbreak, activate and unlock. You will need Cydia installed for the next step.
    5. Transfer MyPackages.list from your computer to the iPhone. Remember the directory you placed it. I’ll use /private/var.
    6. SSH to your phone or use terminal. Make sure you are root.
    7. Restore your packages selection using the following command “dpkg --set-selections < /private/var/MyPackages.list”
    8. Make sure the APT is up to date. “apt-get update”
    9. Install selected packages /from your backup list/. “apt-get dselect-upgrade” will make it happen.
    10. Restart the springboard and you are all set.
    Source : [Cydia] Easy way to reinstall your favorite packages after upgrade/restore firmware. - Hackint0sh

Also, you may want to backup your SMS, Notes, Calendar, etc.

You can do that manually.
    Notes.db is in /private/var/mobile/Library/Notes
    SMS.db is in /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS
    Calendar.sqlitedb is in /private/var/mobile/Library/Calendar

Once you put the files back on your 2.2 Phone, you may notice a bug with you not being able to receive SMS's or save Notes.
    (You need to CHMOD the /private/var/mobile/Library/Notes to 0777 and /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS folder to 0700...

Done.

You have all your Apps back and your SMS/Calendar/Notes backed up!