+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Previously Jailbroken (I think) 1.1.2 but don't know where I'm starting from?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
My wife has an iPhone Classic which according to the system info is:- Model: MB213B Version: 1.1.2 (3B48b) Note:I think it shipped as 1.1.1 but I updated it Modem Firmware:
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Previously Jailbroken (I think) 1.1.2 but don't know where I'm starting from?
    My wife has an iPhone Classic which according to the system info is:-

Model: MB213B
    Version: 1.1.2 (3B48b) Note:I think it shipped as 1.1.1 but I updated it
    Modem Firmware: 04.02.13_G

I followed some command line instructions when unlocking first appeared (ages ago, before any simple tools were out) and managed to get it to a state where she could use a Pay-as-you-go sim card in it instead of the included contract one. I seem to recall there was a step I didn't need to follow as the PAYG sim was the same carrier as the contract one (o2 here in the UK).

I'm seeing all these upgrade tools that look fairly straight forward, the problem is not knowing where I'm starting from. I don't know whether I'm unlocked AND Jailbroken or just Jailbroken?

I want to get it up to a version so I can install some apps from the appstore for her (hopefully 2.2), but I mustn't lose her current information, contacts, music etc.

Could someone give me an idea where to start please?

I have a Mac, but no iPhone, my wife has a Vista64 PC and an iPhone classic. I would prefer to fix on the Vista-PC as that's what it is currently synced with. I read through the SiMpLe Way To UPGRADE thread (13 pages ) but there does seem to be some people who have difficulties.

There is an excellent Step by step on this site how to get from 2.0 to 2.2, but is there anything similar going from a fully restored Classic?

She loves her iPhone so the consequences for me of messing it up when she's happy with how it is could be quite severe (and we don't have a spare bedroom).

Thanks,

Mark.

I'm thinking the The comprehensive iPhone 2.1 FAQ may be the best way to go, but I still need a little clarification...

There's a question further down the instructions...

Q: I am on version 1.x.x. Can I upgrade straight to 2.1, or do I need to go through 2.0.x? Can I keep any of my apps?

A: If you are still running 1.x.x software, I recommend upgrading to 2.1 stock before trying to restore, to be safe.
    Now all the upgrade methods listed above this question include upgrading to stock 2.1 via iTunes8 anyway? Am I missing something?

Also... The choice of firmware...

So that's great, but there like a bajillion files on that server! Which one do I need?!?!

It's really very simple, you simply need to decide what you want in your firmware, and pick the file that matches it. Here's the anatomy of a file name on the server:
    iPhone-(2G) or (3G)-2.1-custom-(activate) or (noactivate)-(nocydia)-(noinstaller)-(nobootlogos) or (custombootlogos)-(xxxxMBroot)-(bl39) or (bl46)
    Simple???

LOTS of details so Breaking it down step-by-step

Firstly, pick a file that matches your phone (ie 2G or 3G).
    Ok, that's easy, it's a Classic 8GB so it'll be 2G

Next decide if you need activation or not (see the request form for details).
    Activation? Request form? Help please!

Next decide if you would rather not have cydia or installer on there. Note that the file will only say if it DOESNT include cydia or installer, if neither is mentioned, that means both are included.
    I Googled iPhone Cydia (obviously googling installer wasn't a lot of help) and seeing as (for ease) I'll only want to run AppsStore Apps so I'm guessing I don't want Cydia or Installer?

Next, decide if you want the default Apple boot logos, the default Pwnage logos, or your own custom ones....
    I'd like some cool custom bootloader, but for ease I'm going to go for Default Apple Boot Logos.

... last two options are more advanced, and indicate custom root partition size, and bootloader upgrade/downgrades to 3.9 or 4.6 (for 2G only)
    This bit is confusing...Particularly, which version of the Bootloader I need? How do I find out? 3.9 or 4.6? Help Please!

From this Information could someone tell me which file I should use please?

MANY thanks,

Mark.
    Last edited by Mark Falsebeard; 11-23-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

forget all that stuff, here's the skinny.

Shift Restore the iphone to a stock 2.2 firmware. Clean install, setup as new iphone.

DOWNLOAD 'quickpwn2.2' for windows from here blog.iphone-dev.org | The man from DelMonte - He say Yes!

run and follow onscreen quide to unlock/jailbreak your iphone.

IMHO simple as that. if anyone has anything else to add please do so....

edit: don't forget you can manual save pictures from the media folder, and save the adress book, notes, and sms db files, and manually restore those when u get into 2.2 jailbroken with ssh on.

edit2: just install cydia when asked, skip boot logo's and installer
    Last edited by Alperovich; 11-23-2008 at 07:16 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alperovich For This Useful Post:

Mark Falsebeard (11-23-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Just to be clear... With this method it doesn't matter what the iPhones current Baseband/Boot Loader version is?

If I have no intention of installing anything other than appstore apps (this is my wife's phone) do I still need Cydia?

Also, do I do this with the current 02 Pay-As-You-Go sim she uses in? or the original o2 Sim, never validated that it shipped with?

Thanks for your help

Mark.
    Last edited by Mark Falsebeard; 11-24-2008 at 07:42 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
    forget all that stuff, here's the skinny.

Shift Restore the iphone to a stock 2.2 firmware. Clean install, setup as new iphone.

DOWNLOAD 'quickpwn2.2' for windows from here blog.iphone-dev.org | The man from DelMonte - He say Yes!

run and follow onscreen quide to unlock/jailbreak your iphone.

IMHO simple as that. if anyone has anything else to add please do so....

edit: don't forget you can manual save pictures from the media folder, and save the adress book, notes, and sms db files, and manually restore those when u get into 2.2 jailbroken with ssh on.

Took a while to pluck up the courager but now I have my own 3g iPhone the wife saw what she was missing with no apps.

You were spot on, worked a treat with no issues, only thing was I needed a couple of bootloader files which google got me in about 2 seconds.

So...

Vista64 with 1.2 iPhone.

Updated to 2.2 (took ages)
    Quit iTunes
    Loaded Quickpwn and followed instructions
    At point where I was asked for Bootloader files I googled and got them.
    Answered the "Cydia?", "Installer", " Custom Boot Screens" checkboxes. I went for no Cydia, no Installer, no New Bootscreens, just unlock and all went just fine, although took quite a while.

She now has apps on her 2.2 iphine and is very happy.

Thanks,

Mark.