+ Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to have a blazing fast jailbroken phone

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
i agree quickpwn is faster, and for other question does unlock 2.1 2g. well on my other 2g iphone, it run about the same speed like whats on video., but
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i agree quickpwn is faster, and for other question does unlock 2.1 2g. well on my other 2g iphone, it run about the same speed like whats on video., but on 3g are slow as hell, i restore it twice already, but who knows, i just waiting for soft unlock then i clean wipe my phone. then i give that a try. which pretty much the same way, cuz i can never freaking do a back up on my phone, except i only use total commander, so ssh is not too important for me at all. but good information

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

long painstaking process, but i'm relieved at how much faster my phone works. i had forgotten to copy over the library file, so i was forced to restore/pwn/restore three times to do it right. was it worth it? definitely. i'm so much happier not seeing 4 different application folders with different characters at the end

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Alrigh so I've come across a problem. Everything works fine except for my SMS text messaging. I applied this method with the 2.2 jailbrake. When I try to send a txt it would say "error sending text" then just recently the lil bar that shows the sending process of the txt shows up but never completes to full sent status. Also I have noticed when I recieve a txt the notification pops up however after that the txt is not shown in the list of txts when I try to find it.

Any ideas anyone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Do you have to copy the entire User folder, or just the library folder? I'm trying to understand how Cydia apps get back on the phone if you just copy the Library folder.

TIA

NM - Maybe you should mentioned all non-itunes applications will need to be reinstalled manually or another method should be used to reinstall cydia apps.

Quote Originally Posted by msfrancy View Post
    Alrigh so I've come across a problem. Everything works fine except for my SMS text messaging. I applied this method with the 2.2 jailbrake. When I try to send a txt it would say "error sending text" then just recently the lil bar that shows the sending process of the txt shows up but never completes to full sent status. Also I have noticed when I recieve a txt the notification pops up however after that the txt is not shown in the list of txts when I try to find it.

Any ideas anyone?
    maybe a permission error? check that your sms fodler has permission 700 and sms.db has permission 644. (that's what they show on my phone)
    Last edited by cartman13; 11-26-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, I checked that and the correct permission numbers seem to be set. I guess I'll just restore and jailbreak again & just not replace the SMS folder.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Having taken a look at the Library folder, I see: AddressBook, Caches, Calendar, Cookies, Keybaord, Lockdown, Preferences and Safari.

Would these folders be enough to store SMS, call history etc? From a n00b's point of view these folders don't suggest these things... So is it really enough to copy out Library and assume that it provides a complete backup (aside from photos and music)?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

look deeper, there is sms, callhistory, and everything else you see in there. it will not backup your apps n what not. it gives u a good platform to start with when its redone, then jus fine tune it to your ennjoyable liking.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    look deeper, there is sms, callhistory, and everything else you see in there. it will not backup your apps n what not. it gives u a good platform to start with when its redone, then jus fine tune it to your ennjoyable liking.
    I did:
    - AddressBook contains files regarding addressbook
    - Caches contains stats and cache and wifi stuff
    - Calendar is calendar
    - Cookies is cookies
    - Keyboard contains "dynamic text"
    - Lockdown contains activation and pair records
    - preferences contains different preferences
    - And finally Safari is empty

None of these really suggest SMS, call history etc. to me?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

You sure you're looking at /User/Library, not /Library?

My /User/Library shows:

.localized
    AddressBook
    Caches
    Calendar
    CallHistory
    Carrier%20Bundle.bundle
    Chronus
    ConfigurationProfiles
    Cookies
    Cycorder
    Cylay
    Intelliborn
    Keyboard
    LockBackground.jpg
    Logs
    Mail
    Maps
    MCleaner
    MobileFinder
    MobilePhone
    Notes
    Operator%20Bundle.bundle
    Preferences
    PwnPlayer
    Safari
    SafeHarbor
    SMS
    Voicemail
    Weather
    WebClips
    WebKit
    YouTube

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Lord Farkward (12-05-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm concerned that using Quickpwn 2.2 means I won't be able to use my iphone with any other network carrier when my O2 contract finishes in 18 months because it requires an updated baseband.

Is Quickpwn really noticeably faster than Pwnage?

Thanks

Nice guide, one, but when restoring all of your /User/Library from the computer, can you just replace the entire folder or do you have to do it one-by-one (contacts, sms, etc.) as the directions indicate?

Thanks!
    Respect your elders.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    You sure you're looking at /User/Library, not /Library?

My /User/Library shows:

.localized
    AddressBook
    Caches
    Calendar
    CallHistory
    Carrier%20Bundle.bundle
    Chronus
    ConfigurationProfiles
    Cookies
    Cycorder
    Cylay
    Intelliborn
    Keyboard
    LockBackground.jpg
    Logs
    Mail
    Maps
    MCleaner
    MobileFinder
    MobilePhone
    Notes
    Operator%20Bundle.bundle
    Preferences
    PwnPlayer
    Safari
    SafeHarbor
    SMS
    Voicemail
    Weather
    WebClips
    WebKit
    YouTube
    O.O I'm an idiot. Thanks bro!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    1- SSH in to your phone and copy the entire /Users/Library folder to your computer

2- do a full fresh restore on your phone

3- set up as new phone in iTunes, do NOT restore from backup. Sync your mail and bookmarks.

4- quickpwn your phone. This is very important, do not use pwnage. I have ran this experiment 10 times on 2 phones for 2 days..... pwnage CFW slows the system down. quickpwn is the fastest operating jailbreak by far.

5- Go into Cydia and get your phone set up with OpenSSH.

6- Connect through open SSH to your phone and navigate to your /Users/Library folder.

7- Replace the mail, sms, safari, weather, addressbook, and call history folders with the one from your computer.

You're done. You've got all the call history, SMS, bookmarks and history from the web (even the cookies), mail, contacts, and you don't even have to set your weather back up. Everything is just like it was, but you are on a fresh install and your phone will be noticeably faster.

Enjoy

(you'll need to re-sync your photo's and music)
    Hey I really want to try this but I'm not able to use SSH. Is there a way to do this using DiskAid? If so can you or someone else please post a step by step guide??

I would greatly appreciated!

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,223 Posts

Heh - somehow I messed up permissions on this and after my phone restarted after installing SSH I had NO access to the phone except through SSH.

Good thing is, a quick chmod 7777 -R /User fixed that.

Few more errors as well - like no apps will install from AppStore, and syncing tells me I cannot install the app due to an unknown error. Working on that one...
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 12-08-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm probably way off here... but from what I've read when you set up as a new iPhone it creates wasted space on your iPhone, effectively allowing for less and less available space on the drive each time you use this method. Is there any truth to this, and if so is there a work-around yet?

Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone else have anymore input on this? I'd like to try this.

Thanks

nice post and stuff, just wondering, will this work if i want to recover my cydia settings w/ AptBackup,

is this exactly like making a backup with itunes, all my settings and cydia settings will be saved. if so im going to do it

please answer fast =)

**did it anyways, replaced my Library and it when i used AptBackup to restore, it made me stuck, so im just going to restore my backup in itunes. =(
    Last edited by gruntparty; 12-15-2008 at 10:37 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    GatewayFX Desktop:
    Intel Core2 Quad 9300 @ 2.5 Ghz
    Nvidia 9800 GT Factory Overclocked
    Windows XP,Windows 7 RTM, Ubuntu 9.04, Bactrack 4 Pre-Final USB

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, I'm still not sure if I'm going to do this. Would like some more input!

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

Heh - somehow I messed up permissions on this and after my phone restarted after installing SSH I had NO access to the phone except through SSH.

Few more errors as well - like no apps will install from AppStore, and syncing tells me I cannot install the app due to an unknown error. Working on that one...
    Hey Pf.. did you get up and running? In the guide he doesn't mention changing permissions.. so do we have to do that after moving the files back in? Any other probs? Thanks, because I want to try this asap.

Thanks

I nailed this issue down to being due to the Caches and Preferences folders, they don't always cause this but two out of 4 iPhones I upgraded this way had the problem. The best way I have found is to backup Library folder and once you have restored copy back just the folders in Library you really need like addressbook, SMS etc.
    iPhone 5s 64gb iOS 7
    rMBP 15" 16gb 500gb
    @c0ff33a and @PhoneMainiac

LinkBacks (?)

1. 07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
  2. 04-10-2012, 11:01 AM