Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G Error 6 phone won't restore or come on...

Default iPhone 3G Error 6 phone won't restore or come on...
    iPhone 3g Error 6 help?
    I recently bought a 16gig iPhone 3g from the worlds famous craigslist. Everything went fine till i got a bright white screen one day. So i figured a hard reset a do the job.
    Phone restarted but with no sign of the screen being on. So I thought okay let me see if the computer will find it if i plug it in. Sure enuff the computer found it but the phone was in DFU mode.
    So iTunes is requesting to restore it. So i went ahead and downloaded the restore file threw iTunes and went onto restoring the phone. Everything started off fine until i got the last stage "Verifying iPhone firmware" it looks like its gonna complete but just at that moment the phone's screen shuts off and i get a message that states the following.
    The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (6). I've done a lot of searches but none have a definite fix. I've also tried to restore with laptop with no luck same error everytime.

Side Notes.
    When i get the error 6 the phone cuts off and there are no signs of the screen being on. Sorta like it never leaves dfu mode unless the restore process is initiated. Thats when i get the Apple logo and spinning wheel.

I'm running..
    Windows Xp Pro - Desktop
    Vista Basic - Laptop
    Both are giving the error 6

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

,Thanks in advance.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9rqPhJ5VCU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9rqPhJ5VCU[/ame]
    Last edited by iPhonekis; 10-13-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

6 means it is NOT in DFU mode actually. (despite what your symptoms imply).

Restore using the factory firmware and if all goes well quickpwn it.

If you have been using factory firmware to restore (it sounds like) you need to try swapping USB ports.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

One thread per question. Please!

Sorry guys for the more then one question.
    The phone is coming up in iLiberty as being in DFU mode.
    Also i've tried a different port, USB Cable & Computer still coming up with the same error.

Thanks

The phone is coming up in iLiberty as being in DFU mode.
    .......and it's coming up in iTunes as NOT in DFU.

You my have a bad flex cable throwing the phone into a restore mode, but with a hardware issue it would make it think it is in DFU mode. It is only a slim chance since it is connecting to iLiberty. Normally won't do it with a bad flex cable.

I'm sorry to hear about that because I am sure you have a good grip of cash in a 16gig 3g phone, but there's a reason someone got rid of it and it looks like you have found the reason.

If it will help, click the hardware link in my sig and see if there's anything that interests you. If nothing else I can put it through my Mac machine and dual boot into it with both OS's and several different softwares until I get it working. Also, I happen to have the iPhone software Apple uses to get in the phone so I can see the logs and configuration and might be able to help figure something out.
    Last edited by one1; 10-12-2008 at 11:35 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

iPhonekis (10-12-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    .......and it's coming up in iTunes as NOT in DFU.

You my have a bad flex cable throwing the phone into a restore mode, but with a hardware issue it would make it think it is in DFU mode. It is only a slim chance since it is connecting to iLiberty. Normally won't do it with a bad flex cable.

I'm sorry to hear about that because I am sure you have a good grip of cash in a 16gig 3g phone, but there's a reason someone got rid of it and it looks like you have found the reason.

If it will help, click the hardware link in my sig and see if there's anything that interests you. If nothing else I can put it through my Mac machine and dual boot into it with both OS's and several different softwares until I get it working. Also, I happen to have the iPhone software Apple uses to get in the phone so I can see the logs and configuration and might be able to help figure something out.
    Thanks for the input. But more on it being a hardware issues i also thought could have been a flex cable. But after thinking about it, I've done many repairs to 3G iPhones and they don't have as many flex cables / ribbons as the 1st gen.
    I've also tried the mother board in my other 16Gig and its doing the same thing so it isn't the dock connector. Also where are u located?

Thanks

OK, so you swapped the motherboard and still got the error, it does reflect the software being a major possibility, but........ you haven't ruled out your computer hardware yet.

A few days ago I posted about not being able to do something to my phone with my Mac so I had to go upstairs and do it on my old Desktop windows machine. It was a first for me, but sometimes it just works like that. Here's the thread: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/mac-sof...failed-me.html

Never had this mac fail me, it is the ultimate warrior. Brand new Core 2 Duo Aluminum iMac, dual boot, 2.4g processor, 4 gig of ram, 320 gig HD......... it eats IBM's for midnight snacks. It however gave up the ghost to my puny little 2.1g single core Compaq desktop in that thread.

Moral of the story is this..... in my thread offering services I say "MAKE CERTAIN you have done everything possible software wise before contacting me".......... because you might end up just like this. No solution seems to work so you give up and start thinking hardware. Every now and then (it usually IS a hardware issue) it will actually be software related through hardware (meaning the host computers ports just aren't making this software issue happen).

As a final resort, reboot the computer, swap the USB ports to another one, and give it one last shot. After that I'd start to blame the motherboard itself. (I'm in TN)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had to read this thread twice before I noticed that you didn't mentioin that you put it in a manual DFU mode. Everything you said it was while the phone was powered on. The phone must be appear off to be in DFU mode. Try this and this might help a little more. There are many places to help you put it in DFU.

Quote Originally Posted by merrimanc View Post
    I had to read this thread twice before I noticed that you didn't mentioin that you put it in a manual DFU mode. Everything you said it was while the phone was powered on. The phone must be appear off to be in DFU mode. Try this and this might help a little more. There are many places to help you put it in DFU.
    Sorry for any confusion the phone is stuck in "DFU Mode" it never comes out. So it never powers on just stays in DFU Mode. I'm uploading a video of what the phone does to youtube now.
    Last edited by iPhonekis; 10-13-2008 at 11:01 AM.