Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The comprehensive iPhone 2.1 FAQ

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default The comprehensive iPhone 2.1 FAQ
    Okay, so as many of you know, the thread about the 2.1 Pwnage and Quickpwn release is getting a bit out of hand, and it's nearly impossible to find any clear information anymore. As a result, I have asked pf to close the thread, and allow me to substitute it with a single FAQ compiling all of the useful data, and hopefully minimizing confusion! If I am missing anything please feel free to add on, but try to avoid adding irrelevant or off-topic posts, as I want to keep this thread as concise as possible.

I am a windows user, how can I upgrade to the 2.1 FW? I thought winpwn was still behind?

Yes, winpwn does not yet support the 2.1 FW, but luckily someone came along that was generous to create custom ipsw's for the poor windows folks who couldn't do it themselves! He's really a pretty neat guy...

Anyways, thanks to a generous donation of server space and bandwith from greatnesstx, you can now find the files here:
    http://iphone.qctx.org/
    They are still in the process of uploading, so if your files aren't up yet, just please be patient and check back later.
    Sadly I am now out of bandwith on my server, so from now on you will need to check this new server or get your CFW via torrents. You can find a list of all the torrents I have up here:
    http://thepiratebay.org/user/WillyDavidK/

So that's great, but there like a bajillion files on that server! Which one do I need?!?!

It's really very simple, you simply need to decide what you want in your firmware, and pick the file that matches it. Here's the anatomy of a file name on the server:
    iPhone-(2G) or (3G)-2.1-custom-(activate) or (noactivate)-(nocydia)-(noinstaller)-(nobootlogos) or (custombootlogos)-(xxxxMBroot)-(bl39) or (bl46)

Firstly, pick a file that matches your phone (ie 2G or 3G). Next decide if you need activation or not (see the request form for details). Next decide if you would rather not have cydia or installer on there. Note that the file will only say if it DOESNT include cydia or installer, if neither is mentioned, that means both are included. Next, decide if you want the default Apple boot logos, the default Pwnage logos, or your own custom ones. The last two options are more advanced, and indicate custom root partition size, and bootloader upgrade/downgrades to 3.9 or 4.6 (for 2G only)

WTF, I can't unzip this file! / Why is it a folder? / pwnage says 'wrong firmware' / I can't pick this folder in iTunes

This is probably the most common question people have when downloading firmware. It seems that most browsers for some reason add a .zip extension to your file. The reality is that these are NOT zip files, and are NOT folders. Do NOT try to unzip the file, simply rename it and remove the .zip extension (should be .ipsw) If you are using Safari, open up your preferences and uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading"

So I've got my file, now how do I load it without pwnage??

Several methods have emerged for this, but not everyone works for every person. You should try these methods from the top down, don't pick a more complicated method without first trying the simpler one, it will only make your life harder.

Method 1: Basic iTunes restore:
    The most basic method is just to restore to your CFW straight from iTunes. This works for a lot of people, but some run into errors. If you are the latter, just keep moving.
    1.)Update to iTunes 8
    2.)Plug your iPhone in, let it sync and finish a backup (I know, I know)
    3.)Hold shift (alt for mac) and click on "Restore" find the file you downloaded from the server and select it
    4.)Be PATIENT. It takes a long time for some people, but do not panic if you don't see progress for a while.
    5.)That's it! If all goes well, your iPhone will eventually boot up, and iTunes will go back to normal.

If this doesn't work you may need to add a step, as in method 2...

Method 2: Upgrade to 2.1 stock, then restore
    1.)Update to iTunes 8
    2.)Plug your iPhone in, sync and backup
    3.)Hit upgrade and allow iTunes to load the stock 2.1 Firmware on your phone
    4.)After your phone is loaded with the standard locked 2.1 FW, go into iTunes and shift+restore your CFW
    5.)Once again, patience is key here!

For some, they still can't get things to work after this. If you're having issue after trying this method, restore back to stock 2.1 Firmware again, and continue with these methods...

Method 3: Restore Mode
    1.)Update to iTunes 8
    2.)Plug in your iPhone, sync, backup
    3.)Allow iTunes to upgrade your phone to stock 2.1 as in method 2
    4.)Put your phone into restore mode. This is similar to DFU mode, but not the same. I can't remember where the specific instructions are, but hopefully someone that remembers can add them for me
    5.)Connect the phone to iTunes, and shift+restore your CFW as in the other methods

No luck? Back to stock 2.1 you go, and we continue on...

Method 4: Regular DFU Mode
    1.)Update to iTunes 8
    2.)Plug your iPhone in, sync, backup
    3.)Upgrade to stock 2.1 using iTunes
    4.)Put your phone into DFU mode, the guide is here:
    How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode - ModMyI - Wiki
    5.)Plug your iPhone in, iTunes will tell you that you need to restore it (ya think?)
    6.)Shift+restore, select CFW, yadda yadda

Still nothign? I know you are getting frustrated, but there are still more methods...

Method 5: White DFU Mode
    Thanks to spysect, jazjon, and nascasho for this method!

1.)Press Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the task manager (latter will skip the middle man window some computers have)
    2.)If you have quickpwn rc3, you'll want to get an older version first. Also grab a copy of the older 2.0.1 firmware to use with it from here (mind whether it is 2G/3G!!):
    http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750
    3.)Follow this tutorial up to Step 10:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak a 2.0.x iPhone Using QuickPwn GUI (Windows)
    4.)When it says "Performing Operation 0, 100% done", quickly use the task manager to end the DOS window, the one that looks like this...
    5.)If you did step 4 correctly your phone should be stuck on a solid WHITE screen.
    6.)Open iTunes 8, it should ask you to restore.
    7.)Shift restore with the downloaded FW, you know the drill here

Nascasho has also written a more detailed guide on this last method, if you are having trouble getting it to work:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/...-1600-yay.html

Other methods exist, but these 5 seem to be the most successful. Feel free to add yours here I forgot something.

Pwnage is telling me that it can't find bootloader files, but they are right there! / Pwnage is asking for a bl39.bin and/or bl46.bin WTF!

Okay, first of all, you need to pull Pwnage onto your hard drive, it CANNOT RUN from within the disk image (dmg) you downloaded. The simplest solution is to create a folder on your desktop, then copy pwnage, and both bootloader files into the folder.

I'm on a mac, and I want to upgrade to 2.1, but I don't want to lose all of my JB apps, cracked .ipas, etc!! What do I do?

Luckily, SMEE has created a guide enabling you to do this! His guide is here:
    GUIDE, Upgrade from Jailbroken 2.0.2 to Jailbroken 2.1 without losing ANYTHING!!

Follow this guide religiously, and you may have a chance!

I'm tring to unzip that firmware that I downloaded. Should it be a folder? I'm confused!

Seriously? Didn't I just answer this like 3 questions ago? They aren't zip archives, you need to rename and remove the zip extension (it should be .ipsw).

I felt the need to put that one in there twice.

I just restored my phone from backup, but now it's just stuck on a black screen or the loading screen and vibrates every now and then! WTF?!

There are a couple things that can cause this, but try one of these solutions:

1.)Go to SMEEs guide linked to above (JB without losing anything)
    2.)Get #6 in the 'what you need' section
    3.)You should be able to SSH into your phone still, if you had OpenSSH installed, follow the instructions in Stage 5 of SMEEs guide

If this isn't the problem, you can try this:
    1.)Restore from an earlier backup that works
    2.)Right click on your phone on the left side in iTunes
    3.)Select 'Restore from Backup' and choose the new one that didn't work before

If neither works, but you are able to SSH into your phone, you can also try deleting this file as a last resort:
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.springboard.plist

Again, if I forgot any solutions that worked, please feel free to add them

I just upgraded to 2.1, but a bunch of my apps are missing now! Even system apps! WTF!!
    This either happened because you used poof/bossprefs before restoring, or because you were using categories. Try the following methods:

1.)Install Categories on your phone
    2.)Create a new folder
    3.)put all of the missing apps into the folder
    4.)Remove all of the apps from the folder
    5.)Delete the folder

If this doesn't work for you, you can try this more involved method from sleepers.net:

1) Prevent this situation by unhiding icons and/or deleting your folders before you do yoru final backup before you upgrade

2) After your jailbreak ends, before you restore your backup, install some things that will help you such as: openssh, poof, bossprefs (any of these you did not have installed before would be great). Here is a prioritized list of options:

a) Install Poof if BossPrefs was hidden install BossPrefs if Poof was hidden. Either of these can completely unhide all your apps. If both were used and hidden then move to B.

b) If settings is available, run that. Enable restrictions, disable restrictions. All your apps will be visible. If settings was hidden, move to C.

c) SSH into the iPhone with scp or ssh. Navigate yourself over to /var/mobile/Library/Preferences and delete com.apple.springboard.plist. Respring your iPhone by typing “killall SpringBoard” into SSH or, if you don’t know how to do that, just reboot. All your hidden apps will be visible.

I need CFW for my iPod Touch, but I can't find any on the server. Where are they?

I cannot host any iPod software, as this is considered warez. Sorry, no exceptions here.

I am on version 1.x.x. Can I upgrade straight to 2.1, or do I need to go through 2.0.x? Can I keep any of my apps?

If you are still running 1.x.x software, I recommend upgrading to 2.1 stock before trying to restore, to be safe. Also, unfortunately 2.x apps are completely different, so you will lose most of them. Hopefully most of the apps you were using have been ported over to 2.x so you can reinstall the new versions!

I'm trying to install some uber awesome boot logos in Pwnage but it keeps refusing them!! What gives?!

Okay, I know this isn't really 2.1 specific, but I thought I'd go ahead and throw this in here. Rynean actually came up with a great method for coaxing pictures into working in pwnage for boot logos.
    1.)Load the png up into Photoshop.
    2.)Resize to 300x450
    3.)Save as GIF, with 128 colors
    4.)Import that gif into photoshop
    5.)Create a new image that is 320x480, RGB, with transparency bg fill
    6.)Select all on the gif image and copy it in to the new image (there should be a little padding on all sides)
    7.)On the new image go to Save for Web and pick PNG-24 and check Transparency

That's it! Thanks ryanean

Alright, this is all of the questions I can think of right now, but as I have said, I'm almost positive there are things I have left out, so I implore you to add on to this FAQ if you have more to add.

Here is a list of useful links:
    http://iphone.qctx.org/ - new server with CFW
    http://thepiratebay.org/user/WillyDavidK/ - all the CFW I have available on torrents so far
    http://willydavidk.kittsplace.com/MMi/request - custom ipsw request form
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/...-anything.html - SMEEs guide
    How To: Enter DFU Restore Mode - ModMyI - Wiki - DFU guide
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak a 2.0.x iPhone Using QuickPwn GUI (Windows) - Quickpwn guide (not for 2.1)
    iPhone News & Review - sleepers.net
    SSH on Windows - ModMyI - Wiki - SSH for windows
    Using SFTP in OS X with iPhone - ModMyI - Wiki - SFTP in OS X

And as a final closing note, I want to stress that I'm not trying to hit anyone up for money here, but I do have a paypal donate button on my ipsw request form, if anyone feels obliged. This is completely voluntary and optional!

I think I'm done here for now

-David
    Last edited by WillyDavidK; 11-29-2008 at 08:06 PM.

2. The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to WillyDavidK For This Useful Post:

2Pixel (09-17-2008), AboveTheLogic (09-17-2008), aly2026 (11-06-2008), BBoyBoyo (11-15-2008), Bigperm26 (09-17-2008), bjai21 (11-09-2008), bookem15 (09-17-2008), Bouzo (09-17-2008), boypinoy18 (09-19-2008), BrandNewbie (11-27-2008), CaptainChaos (09-17-2008), Carthage (10-08-2008), csingh (11-17-2008), Daniel359 (09-23-2008), dirrtydude (09-19-2008), dr.stevil (11-13-2008), EneergE (10-23-2008), [email protected] (09-29-2008), Gustavo Saliola (11-01-2008), hryusha (09-17-2008), Hyperextension (09-17-2008), iainmann (09-17-2008), Ice9812 (09-17-2008), iHackedLife (05-04-2010), imtrulylovd (10-23-2008), izabela (01-30-2009), JazJon (09-17-2008), jslynch66 (11-20-2008), jsodhi (04-08-2009), kadar (09-30-2008), krausz (09-19-2008), kristbradley (12-14-2008), madrich (09-19-2008), mahgninnuc93 (06-09-2009), malken00 (09-30-2008), matdog56 (11-25-2008), mickish1953 (09-17-2008), monica_69 (09-17-2008), mr.sparky (09-17-2008), msims10 (09-17-2008), nascasho (09-16-2008), newskin (09-17-2008), Nimbulan (10-23-2008), oakie (11-08-2008), OneRing2Rule (10-20-2008), r1994augusto (09-21-2008), rajivroy (10-21-2008), Real_Iphonecrazy (10-17-2008), rene.win (05-25-2010), rmsmerd0 (09-19-2008), rowong (09-17-2008), sami4021 (09-22-2008), SeekeR (01-28-2009), SharpieBandit (09-16-2008), sliuman (09-20-2008), softie (09-29-2008), srob030869 (10-02-2008), Steen (09-30-2008), sziklassy (09-16-2008), Tony_Z (09-17-2008), TT KH (10-06-2008), udornf4 (09-25-2008), utada (11-04-2008), weekendday (10-26-2008), WyldPhoenix (10-21-2008)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nascasho For This Useful Post:

jslynch66 (11-20-2008), Nico_79 (12-26-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

You have done all this work and only 20 total thanks? Wow... and it;s not even that hard to hit the thanks button. Goes to show you how self centered people really are. Thanks for the great work! you gotmy thanks ;D
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

WyldPhoenix (10-21-2008)

Thumbs up "Thank you" does not do justice!
    Dear David,

I had all the confusion in the world until I came across your guide. I had already read several other 'Guides' but none comes close to providing info + resources we need to make it happen.

Thanking you from the bottom of my heart. Let me know if you write more such guides in future (for other OSes ).

Sarib

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Wow - nice work.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

Bookmarked. Saving for newcomers. thx.

Thank you, David.
    Alot of work on your part and very very gratefully received.
    You deserve a medal.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Finally! Woot! Thanks a million

David I'm just curious,

Is it better to up to the stock 2.1 and then do the C.F. rather than just going directly with the C.F.? If so, why?

Thanks for the great FAQ

I present to u ... award for the most helpful post ... [APPLAUSE]

just one question... i am on 1.1.1 and planning to upgrade soon...what i wanted to know is what bootloader should i choose 3.9 / 4.6 / should i stick to my current one or it doesnt really make a diff.

And one more lil silly question ... are these custom firmwares unlocked to use with any sim ?
    Last edited by meetidnani; 09-17-2008 at 11:14 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rodeeze's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thank you David.

Can someone tell me how to just do a fresh 2.1 install and jail break. I have 2.02 already jail broken. I have Mac and PC.

Thank you =)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bouzo View Post
    David I'm just curious,

Is it better to up to the stock 2.1 and then do the C.F. rather than just going directly with the C.F.? If so, why?

Thanks for the great FAQ
    From what I've seen, it's not really necessary, unless you are having issues going straight to 2.1. Also, for people on 1.x I think it's a good idea to go to stock 2.1 first just to make sure your iPhone is ready for the CFW. Lastly, if you have a 3G phone you have to update through iTunes to update your bb as pwnage won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by meetidnani View Post
    I present to u ... award for the most helpful post ... [APPLAUSE]

just one question... i am on 1.1.1 and planning to upgrade soon...what i wanted to know is what bootloader should i choose 3.9 / 4.6 / should i stick to my current one or it doesnt really make a diff.

And one more lil silly question ... are these custom firmwares unlocked to use with any sim ?
    The bl doesn't really seem to matter. I have a 3G, so never had to worry about it really. Maybe someone else can shed more light on the topic?

And the CFW files that say 'activate' are for nonstandard carriers (yes there are some for 3G, for people using a special unlock SIM)

Quote Originally Posted by rodeeze View Post
    Thank you David.

Can someone tell me how to just do a fresh 2.1 install and jail break. I have 2.02 already jail broken. I have Mac and PC.

Thank you =)
    Just read through method 2, it should have all the info you need.

PS- I'm starting up some torrents for some of my files, as I'm running out of bandwith. PLEASE use a torrent if it is available for your file!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WillyDavidK For This Useful Post:

Bouzo (09-17-2008), mickish1953 (09-17-2008), mrbones123185 (09-19-2008)

Thanks

Awsome guide david one of the best on mmi

Okay question for people.. I successfully JB my iphone 3g to 2.1 on windows... but i cant see Cydias apps like winterboard. how do i fix that?

fantastic, thank you WillyDavidK

20. The Following User Says Thank You to monica_69 For This Useful Post:

asif7800 (11-19-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by WillyDavidK View Post
    From what I've seen, it's not really necessary, unless you are having issues going straight to 2.1. Also, for people on 1.x I think it's a good idea to go to stock 2.1 first just to make sure your iPhone is ready for the CFW. Lastly, if you have a 3G phone you have to update through iTunes to update your bb as pwnage won't do it.
    Sorry, maybe I'm misreading, but I find your remarks contradicting each other, so bottom line is it necessary to do it for the bb or not?! Thanks

iPhone 3G currently winpwn'd on 2.0.2
    with FIDO (legit carrier)
    iTunes 8.0

Thanks

Yes if you want to update your bb you have to do stock 2.1 in iTunes. But you can still run on 2.1 with your current baseband by going straight to the 2.1 CFW (in other words, i'm not really contradicting myself, because it still isn't really necessary)

Got ya! I thought the bb update was necessary! Thanks, I have done two phones here. After doing the regular apple update to 2.1, I proceeded to simply do the shift+restore with the CF. I ended up with error1600 on both. On mine (the first one), after several attempts with error6 persisting I decided to reboot into Mac OS X (running both here) and try in there. Same error. I decided to try it by placing the phone in DFU mode and then going for the CF. It worked!

Now onto the second phone, same process, same error only this time I decided to stay in windows since I knew Mac OS X made no difference the first time around. For this one though I decided to try the method I read about using Quickpwn with the older FW just to get into that 'white screen' and then end the process. Very oddly, I misconstrued the instructions and didn't decide to double check so here's what ended up happening. In windows, phone is screwed with the 'connect to iTunes' image, I launch quickpwn 2.1. By accident I selected the CF that you gave me rather than the older 2.0.1 as the instructions state. I went through the proceedings unknowingly, and at the point where the phone gets the white screen, I attempt to 'end process' as per the instructions. I wasn't fast enough I think, cause I missed it and the process continued on as the white screen went away and the spinner appeared. 3 minutes later, the phone had booted to springboard with Cydia + Installer showing?!?! I thought WTF? Quickpwn 2.1 worked?! I powered down the phone, and restarted it, and after rebooting, cydia+installer were gone and the phone was stock again?!?!
    Last edited by Bouzo; 09-18-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Thank you very much ..One question still : do I need activation file or no-activation ?? " See the request form for detail " what does that mean ? I don't get it (Sorry I am not an English )

many thanks
    Mario

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast