+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The comprehensive iPhone 2.1 FAQ

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
thanks to you for clarifying this and thanks to the OP for putting this together. makes restoring so much easier since i originally hacktivated my iphone with QuickPWN, which doesnt
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks to you for clarifying this and thanks to the OP for putting this together. makes restoring so much easier since i originally hacktivated my iphone with QuickPWN, which doesnt build custom IPSW's during the unlock process.

TY's dished out for both of ya.

edit: ryan206, you in the seattle area?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan206 View Post
    Hi,

Just wanted to clear up some things, since there wasn't a clear answer to if these would work with unlocked iPhones..

I have a 2G 8GB iPhone running a 2.0.2 that has been pwnd, unlocked and jailbroken from WinPwn.

I needed 2.1 for some apps from the App Store, and I like to keep my iPhone stock (no need for flashy mods) so I downloaded

iPhone-2G-2.1-custom-activate-nobootlogos.ipsw
    from
    The first post (iPhone.greatness.tx.com

I backed up my iPhone, and did the Shift-Click restore method and chose the iPhone-2G-2.1-custom-activate-nobootlogos.ipsw file.

It restored, and BootNeutor showed up and it said it was already unlocked and didn't do anything to it.

My iPhone rebooted and went to the home screen, and had signal from T-Mobile (I'm in the US)

Just restored the backup and everything is in place.. My pics, WiFi settings, APN Settings, ect.. The only thing it didn't transfer was my apps from the App Store, Music and Ringtones..

Hopes this helps clear stuff up!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    wow this was great but ... I just upgraded and quickpwn'ed my iphone (not the 3g but one of the older iphones) it was on firmware 1.1.4. using tmobile and now I have no signal. I've read many posts about this and tried it all but NOTHING!!! Maybe you (oh wise one) can help me. PLEASE!!! AnyONE?????? PLEASE

iPhone? More like MyPhone madrich's Avatar
    Thanks

First of all, sometimes the signal needs a little patience (time) to activate. Second, did you install the CFW with your sim card in? If not, reinstall with it in.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

delicatepuzzle - have you tried restoring the phone to stock 2.1 before pwning it?

Thanks

Ok I got my 3g 16gig White on monday from a friend who used AT&T. He didn't jailbreak it.

These are the setting on the phone

version: 2.1 (5F135)
    carrier: AT&T 2.6
    Modem Firmware: 02.11.07

Noob question here so please forgive.

These are the stock 2.1 settings correct? So therefore I don't need to upgrade to "custom 2.1 FW"? Or is there a difference between "stock" and "custom" 2.1 settings?

I'm planning on jailbreaking my 3G and I'm waiting on my gevey 3g adaptor so I can use it with Tmobile.

Do I have to go through this process or go strait to jailbreaking?

Thanks ahead.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Brand new iPhone 2G (replacement) won't Unlock\Jailbreak
    Okay I hope I'm not doing something dumb here

I have two iPhones:

iPhone # 1 I bought used on Craigslist, it was unlocked, jailbroke and I have not problem changing (up | down) its firmware.

iPhone # 2 I recently received a new 2G from Apple as replacement for one I had whose touchscreen had gone inoperable. I've tried Unlocking it with Pwnage 2.1 and iTunes (8.0 & 7.7) and QuickPwn 1.1. I've tried it with 2.1 and 2.0 Firmware.

Each time I complete the Unlock\Jailbreak it will not accept my TMobile SIM. It will accept the AT&T SIM when it has Apple 2.1 Firmware. With Custom Firmware when you put in the SIM it shows ... where the signal strength should be and no carrier.

This iPhone had never been activated via iTunes\AT&T and it wouldn't unlock. So I even activated it with my AT&T SIM and it behaves the same way.

I am a software developer by trade but I am not an iPhone, Linux expert.

Help!!

Thanks

iPhone #2: Have you restored CFW with the non-AT&T in?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

if CFW means Custom Firmware built by Pawnage yes! after I did neither the AT&T nor TMobile SIM would work. It just showed the ... where the signal strength should be.

I had to go back to standard firmware loaded by iTunes to get the phone working with AT&T SIM again.

I'd like to even try going back to 2.0 firmware but I can't seem to get Pawnage 2.1 to do it. when I browse for 2.0 ipsw and choose it, it says Wrong Bundle.

I just tried it again. It had Apple ipsw 2.1 on it with AT&T SIM and worked fine. put in TMobile SIM and it says not supported.

I then ran Pawnage 2.1 and built Custom ipsw from 2.1 (5F136). Then I used iTunes 8.0 to alt-Restore the Custom Firmware that Pawnage built on my desktop. I did it with the TMobile SIM in it and when it was complete - No Network just ...

I then put in the AT&T SIM and same result.

So now I need to go back to Apple ipsw 2.1 to get the Network part working.

I am lost as to what is wrong. Did Apple put something new in to prevent Unlocking? This phone was obtained 1 week ago from Apple Store (as replacement from older failed iPhone)

Do I need to go back to 1.0 ipsw? go back to older version of Pawnage?
    Last edited by JamesJMcDermott; 11-12-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I upgraded using method one and it worked except my phone doesn't work now. When people call it says unavailable and the part where it usually says carrier is not there anymore.

I simply upgraded to the real iphone 2.1 (yes and I did lose all my things) and the phone works now. But I still want cydia so I'm trying now to upgrade to the custom 2.1 again.
    Last edited by arian487; 11-12-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Try re-setting all settings.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've reloaded Pwnage, i've re-downloaded Apple's source ipsw(s), I've regenerated the Custom ipsw(s), I tried QuickPwn. Nothing seems to Unlock this "new" 2G Phone.

I even tried doing all of the above on a PC instead of on my MAC. I just wonder whether Apple has done something to new 2G(s) to make them more difficult to unlock.

I just took it back to Apple's 2.1 again and it works fine with the AT&T SIM.

I've run out of ideas. Everything I've tried has left me with a Jailbroken but not Unlocked iPhone.

Thanks

Okay, first of all, just to make sure, your 'new' replacement phone is the one with an aluminum back, correct?

Second, are you making sure to run pwnage in expert mode and check the 'activate this phone' option? What are the rest of the settings you are using in pwnage?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi
    how do I save this thread?
    thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks

Smile the answers to unlocking the iphone 2.1,2.2
    "How to Jailbreak your iPhone / iPod Touch on 2.1 (Mac)" by the iphone expert is the laymans dream tool. this locks in the little details needed to finish of the job. You don't have to read it,just watch,listen and do. Type in the listed title above in youtube and your done in minutes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Jailbreaking 2.1 on PC not using Quickpwn for future soft-unlock?
    hi everybody in the forum,
    WillyDavidK, thanks a lot for your comprehensive guide and explanations.

Let me ask you a question that I can't figure out after looking at many many forums, web pages, etc... As Dev Team mentioned: "...the 'golden rule' of 3G hacking. ... PwnageTool allows you to continue updating the main firmware while keeping the baseband..."

>>> and I have read many times that Quickpwn SHOULD NOT be used if we have a 3G running on other network than AT&T (T-mobile with a thin-cut SIM adapter in my case) and we care about a soft-unlock available in future.

I have a 3G with fw 2.1 originally and just wanted to jailbreak it (not interested in 2.2) BUT I only avail of a Windows PC, and so far I find that PwnageTool is ONLY available for Mac users.
    So if I 'should not' use Quickpwm... WHAT ELSE can I use to jailbreak my 2.1 and not jeopardize future soft-unlock??? (I saw WinPwn lates version covers for 2.0X and below but not 2.1)

Can anybody please elaborate on that? Nobody seems to get into detail on that matter. From what I have read in this forum, it seems the ONLY CHOICE is to use one of those "ready-baked" ipw files that somebody generated using PwnageTool on a Mac???

Thank you guys in advance!
    Last edited by 69monos; 12-06-2008 at 01:22 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

69monos: go here and download quickpwn 2.1 to jailbreak your 2.1 software. there's guides everywhere!

to update to 2.2 you do not want to use quickpwn it will ruin your baseband. I believe you can download a custom 2.2 firmware file and restore that thru itunes thus giving you a jailbroken 2.2 firmware(just in case you decide to).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to myst789 For This Useful Post:

69monos (12-07-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

myst789, thank you for your kind reply.

I understand (to some extent) how to proceed with the jailbreak process, but I wasn't sure whether Quickpwn even on 2.1 was the (right) way to go on a 3G running on T-Mobile (by using an ultra-thin SIM card adapter) if I was concerned on a possible/future soft unlock, since they say that Quickpwn makes changes to the baseband (that is why they use Pwnage Tool I believe), but maybe this is only an issue on 2.2 and not on 2.1 since I understand that Apple screw around something on the baseband in 2.2 and the guys on Dev Team pointed that out when jailbreaking using Quickpwn, but not sure if the same limitations Quickpwn/Pwnage Tool apply on 2.1 as well (probably not)

Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by 69monos; 12-07-2008 at 02:27 AM.

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure why quickpwn updates the baseband, so I can't give you any more detail on that matter, however, I can tell you that you are already using the 2.1 baseband, so using quickpwn to jailbreak while still on 2.1 should be safe.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to WillyDavidK For This Useful Post:

69monos (12-08-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default updated to 2.2
    Hi everyone, ive just updated to 2.2 cfw thro restore in itunes, all working well except for cydia! its there but when i click on it it dos nothing except returning to desktop is there a way to get cydia onto my phone? my phones an old 8g 2g, thanks for any help

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123