+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just got an iPhone, considering jailbreaking

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
hey, so I just got an iphone and of course am considering jailbreaking. However, I would really appreciate if someone could spell out to me all of the cons. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Just got an iPhone, considering jailbreaking
    hey, so I just got an iphone and of course am considering jailbreaking.

However, I would really appreciate if someone could spell out to me all of the cons. I already realize the possible pros. I just want to know how likely it is that apple would cause my phone to brick from an update. Or even if I have to update or i can just keep using a jailbroken phone without updating.

How likely is it that my phone will get bricked?

Is there a full speed SNES emulator yet?

Will apple screw me every update they can like sony does with the psp?

Should I upgrade to 2.1 before jailbreaking? If so, will the features implemented by 2.1 still be present after jailbreaking?

Can I do this stuff on a computer with a linux operating system or must it be a windows?

Whats up with this thing about At&t finding out if i jailbreak. What kind of implications would arise? Like, will I be able to just use it like i've been, or will they change my plan and charge me more? Will they make my data slower?

Someone please help me out, i couldn't really find answers to some of this stuff by searching.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Welcome to MMI.

First off, all "jailbreaking" means is that you gained access to the file system. Otherwise, everything works as normal. If done properly....the chance of you "bricking" the phone is slim to none. Sure, as with any "hacking" you may stand a chance of something not working properly...but some how, some way you can fix it.

As for Apple/AT&T...they will tell you jailbreaking voids your warranty because you are messing with the file system. However, as long as your using AT&T, I wouldnt worry to much about that, if you do have a warranty issue you can always revert back to OTB before taking the phone it, also if its specifically a hardware issue (and I have done this) you can stress the point that what you did with the software did not cause the issue - you will still be helped.

Oh, and yes....Apple will screw you every update - basically its back to square one, have to wait for another jailbreak method/update and redo everything.

The NES emulator works pretty well.

Also, all these methods are being written for either Mac or WinPC.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

pure_butane (09-14-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a guide for jailbreaking 2.1.0 on windos yet if not could someone walk me though it i would thank them greatly.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey man, you can not think those things, just doit my friend, and if you have some problem, here we are... welcome to the jailbreak world....
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, all helpful advice, but what about my plan and contract with AT&T? Will that be affected by ( and/or if) AT&T finding out I have jailbroken?

With apple software updates, what happens when I try to update a jailbroken iPhone with the official update? Do I have to downgrade away from a jailbreak, up to the latest official, and then jailbreak the latest firmware?

Sry, i'm still a n00b

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Hey man, you can not think those things, just doit my friend, and if you have some problem, here we are... welcome to the jailbreak world....

I would probably do that, but this phone was a gift from my parents, and I don't get gifts often. I just want to approach this cautiously.
    Last edited by konto77; 09-15-2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You shouldnt have to downgrade, whenever there is an apple update the iphone dev team will be quick to work on a new jail break. they are usually released for mac first with windows quick to follow. take 2.1 for example there is already a jailbreak tool for mac out, and while you can do it on windows already, its more of workaround then an "official release". there is a guide already on how to do it in this forum. if you are nervous about it, wait a couple days (friday at the latest it seems), and there should be a new winpwn app.

Custom sebgonz sig.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default still one question unanswered
    Awesome, i'm starting to get the picture now.

But no one has answered my questions pertaining to Att and my account.
    anyone care to address this?

thanks again though for all the help.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

All AT&T really cares about is:
    1. You pay your bill on time.
    2. You do not tether the iPhone to your computer for internet usage.

You can still do #2 as long as you aren't retarded about it by say downloading a bunch of torrents and such.Limit the amount that you do and you will be fine. Web browsing and emailing etc will not give you away if you are tethering.

As far as bricking your phone after jailbreaking. If you see a new software update in iTunes do not upgrade until the dev teams create the software for the new firmware. Just ignore the temptation of the new firmware
    Otherwise you will end up with a regular iPhone.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 09-15-2008 at 04:54 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ok, so i'm sold now.

I just need to know, if i ever want to go back to official firmwares and all that, are there guides and tools to make it pretty painless?

Alright, I did it.

I jailbroke my 3g 2.1 firmware using that guide on quickpwn. my problem is that i cant find nes on the installer thing. It's in the cydia thing, but whenver i install it, it just doesn't show up.

Also, whats with this password thing for backgammon? And can my previous post of if downgrading is or will be accessible to a novice like me?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    All AT&T really cares about is:
    1. You pay your bill on time.
    2. You do not tether the iPhone to your computer for internet usage.

You can still do #2 as long as you aren't retarded about it by say downloading a bunch of torrents and such.Limit the amount that you do and you will be fine. Web browsing and emailing etc will not give you away if you are tethering.

As far as bricking your phone after jailbreaking. If you see a new software update in iTunes do not upgrade until the dev teams create the software for the new firmware. Just ignore the temptation of the new firmware
    Otherwise you will end up with a regular iPhone.

What do you mean by a regular iPhone? Do you mean if i upgrade with the official update i'll be fine?(by fine i mean no problems at all) Or will it brick my Phone
    Last edited by konto77; 09-15-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost