+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrading to 2.0.2 with jailbroken phone

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
This may be a dumb question and/or someone may have asked it already, so sorry for the repeat, but I have a jailbroken iPhone with 2.0.1 firmware. If I were
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Upgrading to 2.0.2 with jailbroken phone
    This may be a dumb question and/or someone may have asked it already, so sorry for the repeat, but I have a jailbroken iPhone with 2.0.1 firmware. If I were to upgrade it to 2.0.2, would that take the jailbreak away?

Green Apple
    Thanks

it shouldn't - however you will lose all 3rd party apps - including installer and cydia - best idea is to back up your phone in itunes - make a new custom firmware - 2.0.2 - then DFU restore it onto the phone - then select the backup in itunes to copy everything back on - all your 3rd party apps will still be gone but you use cydia and installer to put them back

only risk is if itunes, for some strange reason, won't let you select your backup - then sms's calls etc are gone. i've done it 100's of times and only once did the backup not work and i lost 6 months of sms's - i was mad

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duff man For This Useful Post:

mmurphmsu (09-04-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

here is my question: I have done a few jailbreaks on the new 2.0.1 and a bunch on 1.1.4 ect.

If I am upgrading from 1.1.4 should I do it through Itunes and let it relock unjail break and than use pwned with custom firmware?

or

can I just go use pwned and make a custom firmware to back it up from? and select that? without updating the iphone on itune first?

thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

duff man thanks for the info. This might sound dumb but how do you create a custom firmware? The 2.0.1 firmware that I used is what I found on the net and I used pwned for windows.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you download the firmware and files pwn asks for. It makes you the custom firmware

Green Apple
    Thanks

you need the original 2.0.2 fw (found on this site) and 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader files (also found here)

get winpwn ( .com) and it uses those three 3 allong with the options you choose to make a custom firmware for you - it has tutorials, read carefully and you'll figure it out

@IMBUGGIN

it shouldn't matter, custom firmware or not, a DFU restore puts on a new baseband and bootloader - so whatever was there before is completely replaced