+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: unactivated 2g iphone use

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
First off I am not a noob. I like to call myself... inexperienced in the iphone world. I have modded many things in my day but i'm new to iphones.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default unactivated 2g iphone use
    First off I am not a noob. I like to call myself... inexperienced in the iphone world. I have modded many things in my day but i'm new to iphones.

Anyways here is my situation.....

I have a brand new 1.1.4 4GB 1st gen. iphone that is unactivated. I have read and read tons of forums that past week and pretty much know what I want to do but would just like a few opinions from people who have done this stuff before.
    As of right NOW... I don't want to use my iphone as a phone. I just want to use it for it's wi-fi and ipod capibilities and things of that nature. I will probably end up using it as my phone later down the road but not now.

I want to jailbreak the phone for sure so I can use the installer.app and cydia as well as the apple applications. But I guess here are my main questions.

1.) Do I need to unlock the phone?
    2.) Do I need to activate the phone?
    3.) What firmware is best for what I want to do? Do I stick to 1.1.4 or do I want to upgrade to the newest 2.0.2 and what would the main differences be between which firmware to choose?

So if anyone has an suggestions that would be awesome and I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thanks a lot.

p.s. Just a side note.... The iphone came from at&t. My bro in law broke his old iphone so he went to upgrade to a 3G iphone but found out his old iphone was under warranty so at&t gave him a brand new 2g iphone with his 3g that he bought that day and gave me the 2g which has been sitting at my house for awhile now. Story time over.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

1) Dont need to unlock it, no
    2) You DO need to activate otherwise all you get is a plug into itunes message
    3) May as well go with the 2.0.2 firm that way you can have support for all the newest stuff.

I recommend pwnage tool, just give it a search you will find it
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

dustcool11 (09-03-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ya I am definitely going to use pwnage tool for sure. What version of pwnage would you suggest for my 1.1.4 using windows xp? ziphone looked pleasing at first but then after doing a bunch of reading I learned to stay away from it.

And about activating the phone what exactly does that do for me? I dont have a sim in the phone right now and I have plugged the iphone into my computer already and I didnt get that iTunes message. I got the screen where it asked if i wanted to sync all the contacts and stuff but i just put none on all of them and clicked done.

Quote Originally Posted by dustcool11 View Post
    Ya I am definitely going to use pwnage tool for sure. What version of pwnage would you suggest for my 1.1.4 using windows xp? ziphone looked pleasing at first but then after doing a bunch of reading I learned to stay away from it.

And about activating the phone what exactly does that do for me? I dont have a sim in the phone right now and I have plugged the iphone into my computer already and I didnt get that iTunes message. I got the screen where it asked if i wanted to sync all the contacts and stuff but i just put none on all of them and clicked done.
    and going along with this post...the only way i've read how to upgrade my 1.1.4 to 2.0.2 is to plug it in to itunes and do it from there. Again my phone is unactivated, has no sim card, and I have plugged my phone into itunes and it said my 1.1.4 is the latest firmware. So how would I fix this???

still could use some help here so if anyone has any solutions I would love to hear them and would definitely appreciate it!!!
    Last edited by dustcool11; 09-03-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

you need itunes 7.7 to 'see' fw 2.x.x

xp huh? pwnage is for mac - you need winpwn (throw a dot com on the end and you'll find it)
    with it you create your own custom firmware - jailbreak, installer, cydia etc, - the use itunes to install your new fw on your iphone and you're done

ps - in this site's download section download the fw 2.0.2 for 1st gen (you'll need it for winpwn) (also the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloader files you may also want) winpwn has tutorials that will explain all this

best of luck