+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: After Winpwn - Restore FW or set up as new phone?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
What is the best method for moving on after installing custom firmware via WinPwn? All of my data has been removed off of the phone, so it would seem that
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default After Winpwn - Restore FW or set up as new phone?
    What is the best method for moving on after installing custom firmware via WinPwn? All of my data has been removed off of the phone, so it would seem that Restore is the way to go, assuming that it wont screw up the pwnage.

Any suggestions?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectGSX View Post
    What is the best method for moving on after installing custom firmware via WinPwn? All of my data has been removed off of the phone, so it would seem that Restore is the way to go, assuming that it wont screw up the pwnage.

Any suggestions?

yeah i've restored my phone with back-up restore. all data (except movies/music) was placed back on my phone. i did however, from 2.0 to 2.0.1, lost all my cydia apps. don't know how it would go from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2

Thanks

Restore from backup. To ensure it works properly, open cydia before setting up your phone and install anything. A theme, a program whatever. Once installed, close cydia and plug your phone back in. In my case (twice) my iphone had all of the data already on it and once plugged in, it synched with my iphone.

Thanks

You could do that, but anytime I had instability or other issue it was when I restored from backup. Its usually a better idea to restore as new, this way any potential file corruption isn't transferred over. While a pain to re do the settings, it assures a smoother running phone.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

So I went ahead and did the restore firmware. Got all of my app store stuff back, but still lost all of my music and cydia/installer stuff. Better than nothing, I guess.

Anyways, I did the restore and the next time I plugged it back into my computer to sync, Im back to square one. iTunes says restore or set up as a new phone again.

Whats the secret to getting it not to do this since I told it to restore last time?

Thanks.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm having the same problem when I hook up to iTunes to sync, just keeps asking to restore from backup or set up as new phone. I don't want to have to re-enter all the names, phone numbers, etc into my phone.... will setting up as a new phone cause me to lose all my contacts data as well?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hacktarded1 View Post
    I'm having the same problem when I hook up to iTunes to sync, just keeps asking to restore from backup or set up as new phone. I don't want to have to re-enter all the names, phone numbers, etc into my phone.... will setting up as a new phone cause me to lose all my contacts data as well?
    Im still not quite sure what the best way of going about this is.

But, in regards to your phone numbers question - if you are syncing with a contacts application (like Outlook) then it will just re-copy all of your contacts onto the phone.

Thanks

Settings are separate form content. Music, videos, photos contancts and calendar, bookmarks are CONTENT. They can always be copied back to your phone via SYN, but make sure you check off copy to iphone this sync only or it will erase your stuff on your desktop.. WHat you will have to re enter is you restore as new are things like weather locations, ringtone selection, stocks if you use that app, notes and you will lose your camera roll pictures so make sure you download them to your desktop before restoring.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.