Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just bought an iPhone, need some info on jailbeaking

Default Just bought an iPhone, need some info on jailbeaking
    Just got the 3G and I'm interested in getting it jailbroken.

However, I don't really even know what jailbreaking is. What does it allow me to do?

So anyways, I'm running Windows Vista and I didn't see any guides for jailbreaking the 3G while on Vista.

Finally, are there any free apps I can add on to my iPhone without jailbreaking? Thanks for the help.

Also, I wanted to know how I can check which firmware my iPhone is running on.
    Last edited by arian487; 08-27-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by arian487 View Post
    Just got the 3G and I'm interested in getting it jailbroken.

However, I don't really even know what jailbreaking is. What does it allow me to do?

So anyways, I'm running Windows Vista and I didn't see any guides for jailbreaking the 3G while on Vista.

Finally, are there any free apps I can add on to my iPhone without jailbreaking? Thanks for the help.

Also, I wanted to know how I can check which firmware my iPhone is running on.
    First, your firmware is marked in the settings icon on the iphone, second: to jailbreak go to the download at the top of this page and select the jailbreak pwnage 2.0.2 for 3g iphone. Third, there are many apps you can get once jailbroken. The cydia app has tons of options to choose from once your phone is jailbroken. Just follow the steps provided by our great programers and you should be good to go! Click thanks if this helped you out. Good Luck!
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...

Okay I'm on 2.0.1. Also, I checked and isn't that pwnage thing only for OSX? I run windows xp/vista (I have both).

Okay I'm on 2.0.1. Also, I checked and isn't that pwnage thing only for OSX? I run windows xp/vista (I have both). So do I need a mac to jailbreak it?

Also, the cydia app, does it only come with the pwnage thing? If I jailbreak it another way (a way that works with xp/vista) can I still get cydia?
    Last edited by arian487; 08-27-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

Installer and cydia are included with pretty much all jailbreaking options.
    I've used all the jailbreaks just to test them and have had not one problem in the long run after just using quikpwn for windows. The other one's, I won't list names to discredit anybody left me with a laggy iphone that reboot's when it want's to.
    So in my opinion, Roll with quickpwn until your more educated with the iphone.

Thanks a lot guys. One last question (I hope). So I just checked out the quickpwn guide and then I googled:
    iPhone1,2_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw.

I didn't have that file and needed it downloaded. However, when I download and save (saved on my desktop), it is in zip format. I opened up the zip and looked at all the files and folders and there was no file with the extension of .ispw.

I'm just wondering if I'm suppose to simply copy the whole zip file into the quickpwn directory or something else?

Alright so I did get it jailbroken using quickpwn. Thanks guys!

However, I have cydia but no installer...is it suppose to be like that?
    Last edited by arian487; 08-27-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^If thats the case, did you check-off installer? or accidentally miss it.

the zip file is ispw file. Just rename the extension from .zip to .ispw (make sure the file is over 200mb)

Or you can download the firmware again in the download section of MMi