+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do I need a valid SIM to get started?

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I have been through every post, software option, and list of suggestions on this and other sites, and cannot get my iphone(s) to jailbreak (and now, even restore). I have
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Do I need a valid SIM to get started?
    I have been through every post, software option, and list of suggestions on this and other sites, and cannot get my iphone(s) to jailbreak (and now, even restore). I have two 1st gen iphones now in different states of disrepair. Nothing has worked as advertised. I'm starting to feel like the whole thing is a hoax.
    Meticulously following the directions, I've tried to jailbreak and unlock on one phone using ziphone (with 2.0.1 patch), and pwnage 2.0 on the other.
    Both refuse to restore (via itunes) from either DFU or recovery mode, (using the stock or custom ipsw's) resulting in a variety of error codes, from 16xx to 5,6,1, etc., but no 10xx codes.
    Both are intermittent on itunes recognition, and neither can be recognized by pwnage, ziphone, winpwn, or ibrickr. Both phones started on 2.0.0 and have been deactivated by ATT (upgraded to 3g on both). I dont have either SIM card..(chucked into the trash by my wife, whoops.)

I've used:
    OSX Leopard, Windows Vista, Windows XP
    Running itunes 7.5 and/or 7.7 on both
    Tried restore using stock 1.0.2, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, 1.1.4, 2.0.0, 2.0.1 ipsw firmware.
    Started, restarted, changed USB ports, machines, uninstalled and reinstalled both itunes and apple mobile device services.
    One can't be powered down unless you hold home and sleep together for about 3 or so seconds, and both show the USB>itunes connection logo.
    I've really tried everything possible before posting, I swear.

I'm amazed by the stories of success on this site. You guys must have freaking robot brains.

Can you help? Thanks in advance. Oh, by the way, the objective is to ebay the suckers, so it's unlocked or bust. -C-

Livin the iPhone Life SundayDuffer's Avatar
    Thanks

If you are still with ATT, then YES you would need a valid ATT sim card. Because when youre are building custom ipsw with pwn tools 2.0.3, on the Settings screen you would need to UNCHECK the ACTIVATE OPTION. That way, iTunes would be able to activate you on ATT..otherwise you will not get any service from ATT.

Let start over again....pwn tools 2.0.3 just came out..get that version. Click on the Expert Mode...then start building your custom ipsw file.

I just did mine 15 mins ago...it was successful. I am now in the re-syncing process.

Don't give up...you'll be fine. Keep us posted on here. Good Luck. BTW, this is for MAC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    If you are still with ATT, then YES you would need a valid ATT sim card. Because when youre are building custom ipsw with pwn tools 2.0.3, on the Settings screen you would need to UNCHECK the ACTIVATE OPTION. That way, iTunes would be able to activate you on ATT..otherwise you will not get any service from ATT.

Let start over again....pwn tools 2.0.3 just came out..get that version. Click on the Expert Mode...then start building your custom ipsw file.

I just did mine 15 mins ago...it was successful. I am now in the re-syncing process.

Don't give up...you'll be fine. Keep us posted on here. Good Luck. BTW, this is for MAC.
    Thanks for responding Duffer. Downloading 2.0.3 now. I have been un-checking the activate option all along, as I really didn't want to activate to my SIM anyway. But...question. If I don't opt to activate, shouldn't the indicator that I've succesfully jailbroken be that the normal iphone home screen shows up regardless of carrier? I've not been able to reach that point yet. I got one phone to back to a custom 2.0.0 firmware tonight via Mac (Pwnage2.0.0), but still stuck on the other one. I'll try the update and get back to you. BTW great username..I feel your pain. Thanks again!

edit: Ahhh... I get the unactivate scenario now, but my question still remains..what is the damn thing supposed to look like after a successful unlock, without having access to the prospective new carrier?

So I tried 2.0.3... and got the dreaded 1604 restore error. I used a stock 2.0.0 restore file. Now have a pineapple and a spinning gear. Any ideas?
    Last edited by clearned; 08-26-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

1604 error sometimes can be fixed with rebooting your computer, and try a different usb port. Try that.

You have pwnage tools 2.0.3 ?
    You have the factory 2.0.2 iwsp?
    Using pwnage tools and the factory iwsp to build your custom iwsp?

After you have done so...then go ahead and restore with the custom iwsp.

Let me know how it went. GoodLuck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Crap ...still get 1604. restarted, changed USB port, used 2.0.2 firmware (off this site), and pwnagetool 2.0.3. I can't really follow the directions to the letter though, as my phone never shows a power off slider. It only has three states at this point, Pineapple and spinning gear / USB>itunes logo / or completely off (which can only be reached by holding down the sleep button and home button for 5 seconds or so. However, PwnageTools gives me a successful DFU screen if I choose "has not been pwned before", and nothing if I reply yes to that question.

Thanks

you have access to another computer that you can jump to?
    or you might have to uninstall iTunes completely...and reinstall it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SundayDuffer For This Useful Post:

clearned (08-28-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    you have access to another computer that you can jump to?
    or you might have to uninstall iTunes completely...and reinstall it.
    Done that several times already...But I'll try again. Yes I have another MB and a PC. I'll uninstall/reinstall itunes on both and try both. Thanks again for all your trouble..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Damn..that was hard as hell. I believe I am now jailbroken and unlocked using Pwnage 2.0.3. I finally got a restore to take a stock 1.1.3 via Itunes 7.5, and then used Pwnage and Itunes 7.7.1 to upgrade to a custom 2.0.2 ipsw. I'm still not 100% sure I'm there, though. What I have now is the emergency screen, but with an info key (lower right of screen) that displays the IMEI #, and ICCID as Unknown. Sounds good. But now what? If I have a T-mobile or Verizon account do I just stick the SIM Card in there and bingo, I have a full use phone? I still was under the impression that jailbreaking the phone meant I could use the ipod and other non-carrier dependent stuff. But all I have is the emergency call screen. Am I missing something?

Thanks again to everyone on this site.

Thanks

Well, i am glad you worked it out.
    As i am on ATT and 3G...i can't really tell you if you have successfully unlocked your phone yet...see if you can borrow a TMo SIM to try it out.

Best of luck.
    SD

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clearned View Post
    Damn..that was hard as hell. I believe I am now jailbroken and unlocked using Pwnage 2.0.3. I finally got a restore to take a stock 1.1.3 via Itunes 7.5, and then used Pwnage and Itunes 7.7.1 to upgrade to a custom 2.0.2 ipsw. I'm still not 100% sure I'm there, though. What I have now is the emergency screen, but with an info key (lower right of screen) that displays the IMEI #, and ICCID as Unknown. Sounds good. But now what? If I have a T-mobile or Verizon account do I just stick the SIM Card in there and bingo, I have a full use phone? I still was under the impression that jailbreaking the phone meant I could use the ipod and other non-carrier dependent stuff. But all I have is the emergency call screen. Am I missing something?

Thanks again to everyone on this site.
    you got crap essentially? - - - yes, go get a sim card- real simple- bestbuy sells a $15 gophone- get one, activate the $15 phone with as little money as you want [ at least $15], then after the crappy $15 phone is working, stick the sim into your pnned iphone - - -

so step by step:
    1- use pwnage 2.0.3 to make ipsw file
    2- activate gophone-
    3- put phone in DFU
    4- put gophone sim in iphone, and connect to itunes to do the restore using the file you created with pwnage
    5- and viola!

hope that helps-