Page 1 of 19 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1.1.3 Downgrading Tutorial

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool 1.1.3 Downgrading Tutorial
    Don't forget the Thanks button if I helped you!

EDIT: My 12 year old brother who does not have an iPhone and who has never used my iPhone before for anything more than making a call has just successfully completed a 1.1.3 to 1.1.2 downgrade and jailbreak using this guide. I did not help him. That's right. Be ashamed.

Having trouble? Check the bottom of the tutorial for FAQs and Answers!

Did you jailbreak 1.1.3, realize it sucked and now you want to come back?! You don't have to virginize! Just downgrade to 1.1.1, jailbreak with wifi, install oktoprep, upgrade to 1.1.2 (your phone will be working now) and jailbreak that! If you want to stay on 1.1.1, you will have to virginize.

A few notes:

- This tutorial was made on Windows XP...not Vista. The results should be pretty much the same, but Vista is known for being stupid and it may not be exactly the same.
    - This tutorial is for iPhones with bootloader 3.9 (1.1.1 Out of Box or earlier). It will not work with bootloaders 4.6 and up (1.1.2 Out of Box and later), however your bootloader can now be downgraded. It is a difficult process and includes opening up your iPhone but if you want to go for it, look here.
    - This tutorial is simple enough for ANYONE. Guaranteed.
    - Unless told otherwise, your iPhone should be plugged into your computer throughout the entire tutorial.
    - You need WIFI!!!

WARNING: It has been discovered that the 1.1.3 backup files created automatically by iTunes are not compatible with other firmware versions. This means you will probably lose your data. You will not lose music, videos, podcasts, etc...They will just be re-synced to your iPhone when you get back to 1.1.2.

Files you will need:
    - Firmware 1.1.1 (download here)
    - Firmware 1.1.2 (download here)
    - DFU (Download here)
    - iBrickr 0.91 (download here)
    - Dev Team 1.1.2 Jailbreak (download here)

Let's Do It!

1. To start off, you should be on 1.1.3 and you must have the 3.9 bootloader. Open up iTunes and make sure you have the latest version (iTunes 7.6). To do this, click on Help > Check for Updates. If you do not have the latest version of iTunes installed, it is recommended you do so now as this method has not been tested with other versions of iTunes.

2. Make sure “Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected” is not checked. This will ensure that your iPhone is not accidentally backed up during the process and your latest restore point is lost.

3. Click Restore and a dialog showing “Cancel”, “Backup”, and “Don’t Backup” will appear. Click “Backup” and when prompted, click “Restore”. This step is optional but ensures that your settings, preferences, bookmarks, etc will be backed up.

4. If you have not already done so, go here and download DFU to your desktop.

5. Right Click DFU.zip and hit “Extract Here”.

6. Take the newly extracted DFU folder, right-click it, and select cut. Then open up My Computer and navigate to your Local Disk (C. Right-click anywhere in this folder and click paste.

7. When iTunes finishes your restore, it will be showing a “Set Up Your iPhone” page. Ignore it. Instead, go to the start menu and click Run. When the Run dialog pops up, type in the following:

Code:
    c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu
    Now hit OK. This will force your iPhone into DFU mode (an extremely useful run command if I do say so myself).

8. iTunes will pop up and say “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.” Click OK. It will pop up again. Hit OK again. Now hold down shift and click on “Restore”. This will pop up an explorer window. Navigate to the 1.1.1 Firmware that you downloaded and select it. Hit “Open”.

NOTE: Unless you manually renamed your firmware, it will not look the same as the one in the picture. Yours will be named: iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw

9. After your iPhone has restored to 1.1.1 iTunes will give you error #1015. Click OK. Now iTunes will give you the “recovery mode” message. Click OK. Your iPhone will have a white USB cord at the bottom of the screen with an arrow pointing up to the iTunes logo. Unfortunately if we try to use iBrickr to boot now, it will fail. We have to restore again. Don’t worry about DFU mode this time. Simply shift-click on "Restore" and navigate to your 1.1.1 firmware again. Refer to the pic above for help.

10. You will get the same errors as before after the restore has completed. Minimize iTunes and open your iBrickr folder. Double-click ibrickr.exe. iBrickr will open and recognize your iPhone. It will give you two options; “Boot the phone” and “Begin downgrade to firmware 1.0.2”. Click “Boot the phone”. The background of your iPhone screen will turn red and after a few seconds it will boot up. Close out of iBrickr.

11. iTunes will give you a lengthy message about not being able to access the iPhone because the SIM is locked.

Click OK. Now do the following to access your iPhone contacts:

Code:
    - Slide the emergency slider.
    - Dial *#306# and hit call.
    - Your iPhone will either briefly flash and go back to the emergency call screen, or it will look like you have an incoming call from the number 0.
    - If your iPhone is still at the emergency call screen, backspace everything and dial 0 and hit call. If not, continue to the next step.
    - Hit Answer to answer the call from 0.
    - Hit hold.
    - 0 will still be calling you. Hit Decline.
    - You will now be in the phone section of your iPhone.
    12. Go to your Contacts section. Hit the “+” in the top right corner. Type whatever you want for the contact name. Click “Add new URL”. Type prefs: and hit save. Click “Add new URL” again. Type jailbreakme.com and hit save. Now hit save in the top right corner of the “New Contact” screen. Click the newly added prefs:. This will shortcut you to the Settings. Click Wi-Fi and join your Wi-Fi network. Go back to Settings. Click General > Auto-Lock. Turn Auto-Lock to Never. Now hit the home button. You will be back at the “Activate iPhone” screen.

13. Slide the emergency slider again and type 0 and hit Call. Again, answer, hold, and decline the call until you are in the Contacts section. Chose the contact you created and click jailbreakme.com. Scroll to the bottom and hit “Install AppSnapp”. You will be booted to the “Activate iPhone” screen again. Let it sit for at least one minute. If nothing has happened, start this step over. if you iPhone has restarted, continue on to the next step.

14. Your iPhone will boot up like normal and you will see the slide to unlock slider instead of the slide for emergency call slider. Slide to unlock and notice the new Installer icon on your homescreen. Click it. It will refresh your sources and pop up a “Please Donate” screen. Click Donate Later. Go to the Sources section. Click Edit in the top right corner. Click Add in the top left corner. Type in http://i.unlock.no/. Allow your sources to refresh again.

15. Go to the Install section. Scroll down and tap System. Tap BSD Subsystem. Hit the Install button in the top right corner and hit the Install button that pops up at the bottom of the screen. Allow it to download and install. Now scroll down to Unlocking Tools and tap it. Tap Baseband Downgrader. Tap Install in the top right corner and hit the Install button that pops up at the bottom. A warning dialog will pop open. Hit OK since you have already set Auto Lock to never. Allow the Baseband Downgrader to downgrade your baseband. When it is finished, it will pop up a “Notice” saying so. Click OK and the hit the Home button.

16. Bring up iTunes and click OK through any dialogs that it may pop up. You will once again be at the “Set Up Your iPhone” screen. Put your iPhone into DFU mode using the run command as you did earlier.

17. iTunes will pop up and say “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.” Click OK. It will pop up again. Hit OK again. Now hold down shift and click on “Restore”. This will pop up an explorer window. Navigate to the 1.1.1 Firmware that you downloaded and select it. Hit “Open”.

NOTE: Unless you manually renamed your firmware, it will not look the same as the one in the picture. Yours will be named: iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw

18. Your iPhone will start up normally and have service! Again, iTunes will be showing the “Set Up Your iPhone” screen. Ignore it and open Safari on your iPhone. Navigate to jailbreakme.com and hit “Install AppSnapp”. Allow your iPhone to be jailbroken and soft restart. Click on the new Installer icon. Go to the Install tab and go to Tweaks (1.1.1). Click on OktoPrep and install it. After the short installation, click the Home button.

18.5. IF for some UNGODLY reason, your iPhone does not start up normally... Boot it with iBrickr. Then follow the rest of step 18. Sorry it took me so long to get this step up .

19. Back in iTunes, make sure you have “Restore from the backup of:” selected and click Continue. Allow iTunes to restore your iPhone from the backup you made earlier.

20. If you get the message shown below, you will have to choose a different backup to restore to or set your iPhone up as a new phone. This is unfortunate but I believe 1.1.3 backups are not compatible with other firmwares. It’s always worth a try though.

21. After your iPhone has been restored to the backup, shift-click on Update. Navigate to your 1.1.2 firmware, select it, and hit Open. Allow your iPhone to update to 1.1.2.

NOTE: Unless you manually renamed your firmware, it will not look the same as the one in the picture. Yours will be named: iPhone1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw

22. After the update iTunes will prompt you to upgrade to 1.1.3. Click “Don’t Install”. Exit out of iTunes.

23. 24. Open up the 1.1.2-jailbreak folder you downloaded. Double-click on windows.bat. A command prompt window will pop up followed by a Java interface. Tick “Install SSH” (optional) and hit Jailbreak.

NOTE: If you have problems with this step with anything, go here and get the latest updates for Java.

24. Allow your iPhone to be jailbroken. This will take around 10 minutes and your progress can be viewed in the command prompt window. When the jailbreaking process has completed, close out of the command prompt window.

25. You are now Jailbroken with the phone, SMS, YouTube, etc all fully functional! Have fun!

FAQs + Answers:

Q.
    I accidentally upgraded my unlocked phone to 1.1.3... Can I use this to downgrade and re-jailbreak and unlock?

A. Yes you can! However, I am assuming you have the old 3.9 bootloader since you had your iPhone unlocked. With the new bootloaders for 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 Out of Box iPhones, this tutorial will not work.

Q. The DFU deal isn't working for me... is there a way I can do this manually?

A. There sure is! Here are some easy steps:
    - Plug your iPhone into the computer so you can hear the "plugged in" and "unplugged" sounds
    - Hold down the power and home buttons until you hear the "unplugged" sound
    - When you hear the "unplugged" sound, let go of the power button and continue to hold the home button
    - Your screen will stay blank but you will hear the "plugged in" sound and iTunes will recognize your iPhone

You are now in DFU mode. Continue with the tutorial.

Q. I'm on a Mac... what do I need to do differently?

A. Use the manual method described above to put your iPhone in DFU mode. Extract files and run them however a Mac does. When told to use iBrickr to boot your iPhone, instead open up the Dev Team 1.1.2 Jailbreak... then click the boot iPhone from restore instead of the Jailbreak button!

Q. I don't know what bootloader I have! HELP!

A. To check your bootloader
    add this source to your installer:

Code:
    http://www.trejan.com/irepo

Install BBInfo under the Utility category. If you have 4.6 or up, you cannot use this method.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT ANYTHING ELSE ADDED TO THIS SECTION
    Last edited by Sidetalker; 02-26-2008 at 03:03 PM.
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Sidetalker For This Useful Post:

britcan (02-01-2008), cadugauch (01-25-2008), calimba (01-22-2008), Cody Overcash (01-20-2008), ColPhorbin (01-25-2008), dalelad (01-16-2008), DisownedPenny (01-24-2008), emiderics (01-27-2008), Endorphiin (01-31-2008), eurom3r (01-21-2008), GimpedT (02-01-2008), GreggSymington (01-23-2008), hadiz (01-25-2008), ihappy (05-24-2008), imstill@g (01-22-2008), Irishrule812 (01-15-2008), jeremydore74 (01-21-2008), mbrando45 (01-30-2008), Mischpoke (01-16-2008), Mookie469 (01-23-2008), Polgas (01-15-2008), Quildar (02-08-2008), rankoslavujevic (01-26-2008), rianbattle (01-25-2008), therandy (01-25-2008), Wayno (01-20-2008), yahyamih (02-05-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone the sr5's Avatar
    Thanks

you are a god! haha cant wait to see the steps to get the 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 working... i dont really want to loose everything but if i have to its all good... but as far as i have been reading there are steps to upgrade...? is this true? or can i upgrade and not have any problems (besides all my third party apps and theme will be gone)?

Thanks

If you are just jailbroken and not unlocked, you can restore to 1.1.3. iTunes won't let you upgrade but theres really no difference except you have to resync your personal info.
    For Help

GUIDES:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidetalker For This Useful Post:

Welshy1969 (01-20-2008)

If you need a Phone tester I will be willing to help in anyway I can.

Thanks

so the issue is that i will lose all my apps and themes and so on but be in 1.1.3... would it just be best for me to sit tight haha...? and wait for an 1.1.3 oktoprep

Thanks

so the issue is that i will lose all my apps and themes and so on but be in 1.1.3... would it just be best for me to sit tight haha...? and wait for an 1.1.3 oktoprep
    Depends if you value your third party apps or the new firmware more. totally up to you . I need to spend less time with my beloved iphone so i can balance school and work so im fine on 1.1.3 (just doin this for the community )

If you need a Phone tester I will be willing to help in anyway I can.
    thanks for the offer! ill let you know if i do but i think ill be fine!
    For Help

GUIDES:

Thanks

your scaring me sidetalker =X

Thanks

Hell im scaring myself. dam. main script execution failed
    For Help

GUIDES:

Banned
    Thanks

U Can Do It!!!

Thanks

U Can Do It!!!
    Or break my iPhone trying!!!!!!!

Hey does anyone know if anybody else is attempting this? I have only seen one guy, and he gave up
    For Help

GUIDES:

Thanks

now you scared me with that last update about itunes naming your iphone untitled playlist.... mine has done the same thing and im not attempting anything =X but i am in 7.6 itunes so that might be the issue till i get to 1.1.3

Thanks

Haha yeah its probably an early 7.6 glitch or something. i have 7.6 too

my iphone is scaring me. im not sleeping till i get this.
    For Help

GUIDES:

Thanks

haha ill be here with you! ever step of the way... imma somehow get my hands on another iphone soon... one that i can mess with... and i will be doing this along side you =)

Thanks

gah i hope i didnt kill mine and good to know i have support!
    For Help

GUIDES:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidetalker For This Useful Post:

RvB80 (01-16-2008)

Thanks

hehe so your back up and running again?

Thanks

hehe so your back up and running again?
    Amazingly yes. I honestly cannot believe it. Imagine the feeling of looking at your iphone show the apple logo, then the yellow triangle restore logo, then that background goes blue, then scrolling code appears for 5 seconds, then your iphone turns off, reboots, and does it again. thats was. taxing.

Sadly I have to get to bed so I can wake up tommorow... after school I have community service and then I'm off to the gym. I should be home by 6 pm EST or so and ill get right to it.

my next method of attack with be downgrading itunes to 7.3... though this is a pain in the butttt and i might wanna try a few other things first.
    For Help

GUIDES:

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidetalker For This Useful Post:

antidis (01-27-2008), mobsta (01-15-2008)

Kevin u are absolutely crazy. brave of you to take this leap off of the cliff, but still crazy!!! hope this works cause if you can get it to work, just might have to follow your lead.
    MY ONLY CONCERN WITH THE NEW UPDATES::: will they start to render any apps usless so that we have no other choice but to order them through Apple?

Congrats on the sticky too!!!
    Last edited by seanobx; 01-15-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=69185&dateline=119575  6040

Thanks

yeah man that would freak me out haha, but im glad to hear you were able to reverse it.... ill be back on tomorrow maybe i will jack one of my buddies iphones and mess with it hehe! evil i know! haha but get some rest man...

Thanks

Yes sir. I made a big long post saying yes and what i would do next and how im going to bed and when ill be back...but it disappeared
    For Help

GUIDES:

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetalker View Post
    Yes sir. I made a big long post saying yes and what i would do next and how im going to bed and when ill be back...but it disappeared
    Kudos for your efforts!

if in anyway you need help, I am willing to spare one of my iphones otb 1.1.2 and upgrade it to 1.1.3 to partake in your efforts. just tell.

Many thanks from Singapore!

Page 1 of 19 123 11 ... LastLast