+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Simple FW 1.1.2 upgrade

is a discussion within the

General

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak / Downgrading / Upgrading

section;
I found this upgrade method over on Hackent0sh stuck in a thread. Most folks were not noticing. It looks like it might be the trick. I was hoping some folks
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Post Simple FW 1.1.2 upgrade
    I found this upgrade method over on Hackent0sh stuck in a thread. Most folks were not noticing. It looks like it might be the trick. I was hoping some folks with test phones could sus out ?

Here is more easier guide... this one works only for upgraded iphones and not OTB 1.1.2.

if you are on 1.1.1 unlocked and jailbreak

1. run octoprep on the iphone
    2. update to 1.1.2 (clcik update not restore i itunes)
    3. jailbreak using 1.1.2 jailbreak (there is a new one where activation and youtube are already working)
    4. SSh Anysim 1.2.1u
    5. Reboot the phone and turn on the AIRPLANE mode (this is important so that it won't crash summerboard when unlocking is running)
    5a Run anySIM 1.2.1u to unlock sim
    6. install iWorld
    7. your done...

we have been using these steps it eliminates the need to downgrade then upgrade again. this cuts time doing the upgrade.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w9cae For This Useful Post:

jrut24 (11-28-2007), luiz (11-25-2007)

Thanks

When giving guides, it's always handy to include sources. For instance, what's the source for #3 in your steps?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sorry I wasn't posting a guide as such. I have been asking about to find some folks with test phones. To verafy this method, to me it looks like the FW 1.1.2 winner. But would like folks with the knowlede to sus out. This was found stuck in a thread over on Hacket0sh. But folks over there are more concerned with the new bootloader and there orders of phones with such. We got a ton of folks still on FW 1.1.1 that are not going to be able to handle the upgrade process. Sadly I only have one phone here. But I know there are a few developer folks with phones just for testing.

As regard to jailbreak I beleve its this method refered to:

http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html

Ok a senior member over at Hackent0sh has just confirmed this process works flawlessly. Still would like a few more test before this process get published as a guide.
    Last edited by w9cae; 11-24-2007 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added comments

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey, Can you post a link to the Hackint0sh forum?

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

cool I'll watch this thread since my unlock attempt from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 failed miserably.

zdr
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I tried method with downgrade to 1.1.1 only, and it failed at AnySim part. This sounds interesting, although I don't trust AnySim 1.2.1u any more. It's not an official release, but hacked 1.1 version.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default anySIM crash
    Quote Originally Posted by zdr View Post
    I tried method with downgrade to 1.1.1 only, and it failed at AnySim part. This sounds interesting, although I don't trust AnySim 1.2.1u any more. It's not an official release, but hacked 1.1 version.

you may need to change permissions for anySIM before launching it. I haven't tried this method yet but by just reading the procedure, that may be the reason why anySIM crashed.

zdr
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeminiRaf View Post
    you may need to change permissions for anySIM before launching it. I haven't tried this method yet but by just reading the procedure, that may be the reason why anySIM crashed.
    Permissions were fine on all files. It was not crashing, just displaying some error very briefly at the end which was not readable.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok only a few replys over on Hackent0sh about this method.

this is what the last bloke did:

i have done this method myself after reading this thread.
    OTB 1.1.1 which i jailbroke with jailbreakme.com than install BSD sub system
    reboot. download anysim from the utilities category, its version 1.1
    then install anysim1.1
    this is the prerequisite to do the next part assumming you are on 111, jailbroken and unlocked.

first dock and sync your iphone one last time you you dont loose anything.
    undock and get ready.

1. run oktoPrep on the iphone from installer.
    2. Dock your iphone and update to 1.1.2 - its update, not restoring.
    3. jailbreak using 1.1.2 jailbreak (there is a new one where activation and youtube are already working)
    you can d/l jailbreak app here http://iphone.natetrue.com// which is needed
    4. use installer add add a new source called http://rep.frenchiphone.com and download anysim 1.2u
    5. Reboot the phone and turn on the AIRPLANE mode (this is important so that it won't crash summerboard when unlocking is running)
    6. run anysim
    6. install iWorld, Skip this if you live in USA
    your done...

dock and sync you iphone, it should restore from backup your settings

go to settings, about, verify you dont see the 300mb problem
    verify springboard works if u have more than 16 apps on it, will it scroll to next screen? to test, add more apps, like some games
    verify, does summboard work? hint always keep dim wallpaper turned off.
    verify can you make and receive calls
    verify can you sms and receive sms
    verify can you email and get emails

lastly verify your Edge settings remain..if they dont, download the EDGE settings fix from isntaller.

Here is the start of the Hackent0sh thred:
    http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17094

OK I can confirm this above method works. Today due to OktoPrep being busted we had a set back but after that issue was sorted & I am going to post the directions in the OktoPrep thread.

This method works without downgrade & anySIM1.2u will run you need to be in "airplane mode"

Happy upgrading to FW 1.1.2
    Last edited by w9cae; 11-25-2007 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. The Following User Says Thank You to w9cae For This Useful Post:

iphonestef (11-29-2007)

zdr
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It does not work, jailbreak 1.1.2 does not recognize that OctoPrep did anything. I suspect this is because, even if you chose update to 1.1.2, BB will be reflashed with 4.02 and octoprep changes wiped out.

Yep, OktoPrep did not do anything on my fone. It just exits after the install, that's the problem. Troubleshooting this now, it was working fine before. Anyone knows how to check if Oktoprep did it's job?

Found a workaround to make oktoprep change manually:

1) You need SSH installed on iPhone
    2) Download and unzip http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/zips/OktoPrep.zip
    3) Put sbin/mknod file to /sbin/ on your iPhone via ssh
    4) When you finally have mknod file on your iPhone, login via ssh to it and type the following command:
    /sbin/mknod ~/Media/disk c 14 1

Updated again to 1.1.2, jailbreak worked. AnySim 1.2.1u worked in airplane mode!

This really works! My starting point was phone that was not even unlocked, just jailbreaked 1.1.1 with FW 1.1.1.

I am now at full operational 1.1.2 FW, finally.
    Last edited by zdr; 11-25-2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Can anyone else verify that this is working? Perhaps someone from the Dev team? Almost sounds to simple to be true after reading the other upgrade tutorials.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It works! Updated to 1.1.2 in Belgium!!
    Everything works!
    Thank you!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This method works! Took me less than an hour to go through the whole process.

Green Apple
    Thanks

A fellow iPhone user has re-written the process so anyone can follow.

Upgrading to 1.1.2 in baby steps

This guide represents a joint effort by a great hacker (W9cae) and good writer who can only manage computer stuff in baby steps (me). W9cae confirms that it is technically accurate, and I confirm that it can be followed by people who are mystified by the world of unix, ssh, etc. etc. I'm one of those people, and I have followed this guide and I now have a successfully upgraded and unlocked 1.1.2 iPhone.

As always, though, you try this at your own risk. So here goes:

What you need
    • An iPhone on 1.1.1 unlocked and jailbroken
    • A WiFi Connection for the iPhone
    • A Computer with web browser and iTunes connected to internet
    • About an hour of spare time, much of which will be spent watching, drinking, and praying while things download and install.
    • This guide

1. Before you begin
    1.1 Sync your iphone so you don’t loose anything
    1.2 If you want to play it extra safe, you could use Installer to uninstall any third party applications, and erase all content and settings (Settings > General > Reset), and then reboot the phone. If you have erased everything, you will need to reenter to your WiFi password.
    1.3 Open the web browser on your computer and go to http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html Download the 1.1.2 jailbreak to your computer. It will download as a .zip file. Open the file and it will create a folder called “1.1.2-jailbreak”. There is a README inside that folder, but you can ignore it because anything you need to know from it is already included in this guide.

2. Preparation
    2.1 On your iPhone, tap on installer (and wait for sources to refresh if necessary)
    2.2 From “Tweaks (1.1.1)” find “OktoPrep”. If you can’t find these, you need to first install “Community Sources”.
    2.3 Install “OktoPrep”. It will run itself and then tell you that you are ready to update.

3. Upgrade
    3.1 Connect iPhone to computer and open iTunes
    3.2 Click on “Update” to install FW 1.1.2 (make sure you choose “update” not “restore”)
    3.3 Wait the half hour or whatever it takes to complete the download and installation. A drink and a prayer help pass the time at this point.
    3.4 You now have a locked and unactivated 1.1.2 iPhone.
    3.5 Close iTunes, but leave your iPhone connected to your Mac.

4. Jailbreak
    4.1 On your computer, open the “1.1.2-jailbreak” folder.
    4.2 If you are on an OSX Mac, double click on the “jailbreak.jar” file. If you are using Windows, double click on windows.bat.
    4.3 Follow the on-screen prompts as follows:
    4.4 In the first window, click on the “Jailbreak” button. No need to check the “Install SSH” box unless you want it. If you don’t know what it is, then you won’t be needing it! Another stiff drink and a prayer will go down well while watching the progress bar - about 5 minutes.
    4.4 At the end of this, the iPhone will shutdown and reboot itself several times. It will look like it’s stuck in a loop, but just wait it out. It will sort itself out.
    4.5 Once this is finished, you can disconnect the iPhone from the computer, because the rest is done on the iPhone through its WiFi connection.

5. Unlock
    5.1 Go to Settings > General > Auto Lock, and set to “Never”.
    5.2 Go to Installer, and install BSD Sybsystem if it is not already on your phone.
    5.3 Go to Installer, and add a new source called http://rep.frenchiphone.com
    5.4 Refresh sources, and then install Anysim 1.21u, but don’t run it yet!
    5.5 Reboot the iPhone
    5.6 Go to Settings and turn on the AIRPLANE mode (this is very important. If you forget it your phone will get stuck in a loop and you’ll have to go and beg W9cae for instructions on how to get it out.)
    5.7 Return to the Springboard and tap on the AnySIM to run anySIM 1.21u.
    5.8 Your phone is now unlocked, but you are not yet finished.
    5.9 Go to Installer > Uninstall, and uninstall AnySIM 1.21u.

6. Install iWorld
    6.1 Turn Airplane mode off again.
    6.2 Go to installer and from “Tweaks (1.1.2)” install iWorld
    6.3 Return to the Springboard, tap on the iWorld icon and follow the prompts.

7. You’re done... but...
    7.1 ... you’ll want to dock and sync you iphone, it should restore from backup your settings.
    7.2 ... you’ll want to verify that everything is working, calls, SMSs, emails
    7.3 ... you’ll want to check that YouTube is working. If not, go to Installer and install “YouTube Activation” which is found in the “Unlocking Tools” category. If it is not there, you will have to first add the source http://i.unlock.no
    7.4 ... you’ll want to check that your EDGE settings remain. They did for me, but if they don’t, download the EDGE settings fix from installer (Unlocking Tools).
    7.5 ... if you took the safe option of uninstalling any third party applications, you’ll want to reinstall them now.
    7.6 ... you’ll want to program your voicemail button. Open the phone dial pad and tap the following code: *5005*86*xxx# where xxx is your phone company’s voicemail number. Then tap call and after a second, the code will have been set.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to w9cae For This Useful Post:

hailrazer (11-27-2007), iphonestef (11-29-2007), velkr0 (11-30-2007), zdr (11-27-2007)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you for the "Baby Steps" guide, it worked perfectly on my phone with no hitch at all and everything is functioning properly! This guide works 100%! I had an OTB 1.1.1 jailbreaked and anysim 1.1 activated. Followed these steps and didn't do anything more. It went smooth. Thank you very much!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks w9cae for the baby steps.

It worked perfect for me.

My iPhone 1.1.1 virginized/unlocked/Jailbroken. is now a 1.1.2 Unlocked/Jailbroken and I got to keep all of my music/movies

zdr
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Moderators, this should be sticky!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default what does OTB stand for?
    Question: what does "OTB" stand for? Out of The Box ? If so, will this procedure then also work on my iPhone, which originally was 1.0.2 and which I upgraded to 1.1.1 after virginizing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphonestef View Post
    Question: what does "OTB" stand for? Out of The Box ? If so, will this procedure then also work on my iPhone, which originally was 1.0.2 and which I upgraded to 1.1.1 after virginizing?
    Yessum
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Yessum
    hey, thanks ... and what means "Yessum" ? I am Austrian and I am not really clear about all these shortcuts ...