Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help. Jailbreak not working after update

Default Help. Jailbreak not working after update
    I went ahead and did the update this morning. This move makes you take the phone out of recovery by doing a restore. You basically loose the jailbreak fix when doing this. So, you must reinstall jailbreak again.

Here's where I encounter the issue. When I get to the step that has you reset the iPhone, Jailbreak attempts to send the files but is not succesful at booting the device. Jailbreak just hangs at the 'Booting iPhone' message.

If anyone has encountered this, let me know. There's probably no immediate workaround, but having my sweet U2 ringtones made me a happy camper. I'm kinda fuming at Apple right for so viamently denying user choice and freedom in this matter. It's almost enough to make want to give this thing up and grip my Treo again.

At any rate, please let me know if you share this issue and have a workaround.

Thanks.

I heard you need to run thru the steps all over again, so ya need to re-dl the update and zip it and extract it to the phonedmg folder again

what ringer did you have? I have Original of the Species on mine =).

Anyway to answer your question do the following:
    1) keep the 1.0 firmware in your phonedmg folder
    2) unpack the update into your phonedmg folder
    3) jailbreak

that's what made it work for me. I was hanging at the booting thing to trying to use a 1.0.1 restore file, and then I came to the conclusion that jailbreak "needs" the 1.0 restore file as a base. So I tried it that way, and bingo it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Criss View Post
    what ringer did you have? I have Original of the Species on mine =).

Anyway to answer your question do the following:
    1) keep the 1.0 firmware in your phonedmg folder
    2) unpack the update into your phonedmg folder
    3) jailbreak

that's what made it work for me. I was hanging at the booting thing to trying to use a 1.0.1 restore file, and then I came to the conclusion that jailbreak "needs" the 1.0 restore file as a base. So I tried it that way, and bingo it worked!
    I was using Bad (The Wide Awake In America) Version. I even went through the trouble of a normalizing the clip to get maximum volume without distorting, fading the end and adding a little delay of my own at the end so it trailed off neatly.

I will try to use the original files when I get home tonight.

BTW, don't know if you heard but U2 is back in the studio with Brian Eno writing the next album. I'm so psyched.
    Last edited by prmdbr; 08-01-2007 at 11:45 AM.

once you go to 1.01, can you downgrade?

when i first did jailbreak after the 1.01 update, it said it worked fine.. then i tryed iphoneinterface and got an error. after that it wouldnt let me jailbreak again. and didnt work.. i just did a restore and is it worth trying it again ? or even will it work.

When I try to jailbreak, nothing happens after my iphone gives the "Please Connect to iTunes" message - no messages are given in the command window. Any idea what is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Cial00 View Post
    When I try to jailbreak, nothing happens after my iphone gives the "Please Connect to iTunes" message - no messages are given in the command window. Any idea what is happening?
    did you rename the restore firmware 1.0 to .zip then extract it in the phonedmg folder?

when i first tried to jailbreak i got an error. second time, a different error.

then i remember when i did it the very first time, that i only had jailbreak running on my comp.

so i restarted my computer and only had jailbreak running this time.
    worked perfect.

Im having the same problem . I however never did try to mod my phone before the update. Im trying to now after the update. I have all the files where the should be . Jailbreak hangs at booting iphone and on the iphone it says connect to itunes . im Running windows xp. I even tried it on my laptop but have the same problem. Any suggestions ?? Thanks

Does your phonedmg folder look like this?

Yes My folder looks like that with those files. On both my pc and my laptop. Tried both and wont work .

did you also re-download the files again?

i'm having VERY similar issues as the people who've posted. what files should we redownload. I tried to do a restore of the iphone to start from scratch and now itunes is saying it doesn't have the software it needs for iPhone. it tells me to uninstal and reinstall itunes (which i did) and it still doesn't work. To get a clean slate should i plug it up to another computer with itunes on it and try to restore it? Thanks

P.S. Are there people who have run the update and are not having ANY issues?

so bascally, when you download the new update firmware, just save it into the same folder you used before?

i ran the update and at first i had an issue when i tried iphoneinterface. I dont use that anyone i use manzana.. which i suggest people who runs windows use it.. also re-download jailbreak/restore file/itunes.dll things and try jailbreak again. after a clean restore-update.

I am also having problems breaking my phone out of jail. I keep getting stuck at #9 where it hangs at Booting iPhone....

I tried countless of times tonight and it wont reboot, probably should mentioned I never modded my iPhone before today (technically I still havent lol)

Windows Vista and yeah I copied all the files to Chonedmg like the instructions say..

Jailbreak 1.1
    restored and got 1 full update package converted to .zip and extracted
    itunesmobile dll copied over

/shrug

I dont know what to do now, any suggestions?
    Last edited by loco; 08-03-2007 at 02:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Do you have the previous firmware file you can give us for download?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Links are available in the Wiki.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews