+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Difference between Unlocked GSM and Unlocked CDMA?

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
Hi I was just wondering if there was a difference between an unlocked cdma version and unlocked gsm in terms of jailbreaking and the abilities either may or may not
    iPhone? More like MyPhone NikeJS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Default Difference between Unlocked GSM and Unlocked CDMA?
    Hi I was just wondering if there was a difference between an unlocked cdma version and unlocked gsm in terms of jailbreaking and the abilities either may or may not have. I'm buying an iphone 5 and can't decide to either buy it unlocked from apple GSM or unlocked from my friend with sprint.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NikeJS View Post
    Hi I was just wondering if there was a difference between an unlocked cdma version and unlocked gsm in terms of jailbreaking and the abilities either may or may not have. I'm buying an iphone 5 and can't decide to either buy it unlocked from apple GSM or unlocked from my friend with sprint.
    An iPhone purchased from Apple unlocked will be able to be used on any GSM network globally but not any CDMA networks. An iPhone unlocked by Sprint can be used on any GSM network as well as on Sprint's CDMA network (assuming it's fully unlocked--I didn't realize Sprint had an unlock vendor or unlocked iPhones themselves).

What LTE networks the phone will work with depends on what kind of iPhone you get--the unlocked iPhone from outside of North America and the Sprint iPhone will work on a different set of LTE networks than the GSM iPhone sold in North America. These two types of phones (North America GSM only versus the CDMA and Global GSM) are also two separate models of phones that are nearly identical and will probably be jailbroken at the same time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orby For This Useful Post:

NikeJS (10-24-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone NikeJS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    An iPhone purchased from Apple unlocked will be able to be used on any GSM network globally but not any CDMA networks. An iPhone unlocked by Sprint can be used on any GSM network as well as on Sprint's CDMA network (assuming it's fully unlocked--I didn't realize Sprint had an unlock vendor or unlocked iPhones themselves).

What LTE networks the phone will work with depends on what kind of iPhone you get--the unlocked iPhone from outside of North America and the Sprint iPhone will work on a different set of LTE networks than the GSM iPhone sold in North America. These two types of phones (North America GSM only versus the CDMA and Global GSM) are also two separate models of phones that are nearly identical and will probably be jailbroken at the same time.
    Thanks! that's very helpful, which would work best on Tmobile's network? The CDMA or GSM unlocked from apple?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,694 Times in 5,954 Posts

Any GSM phone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NikeJS View Post
    Thanks! that's very helpful, which would work best on Tmobile's network? The CDMA or GSM unlocked from apple?
    Assuming you want T-Mobile USA: go for the A1428 (North American GSM) model: it's compatible with their LTE bands.

Assuming you mean T-Mobile UK (Everything Everywhere) or the German T-Mobile (or any other T-Mobile): go for the A1429 (CDMA/Global GSM) model: more likely than not, it'll be compatible with their LTE bands.