+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just swapped to Sprint from T-mobile...3G speed really slow?

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
So I had t-mobile for probably 10 years or more (ever since the R225, still got it and it still says "Voicestream" on it) I decided to swap to sprint
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Just swapped to Sprint from T-mobile...3G speed really slow?
    So I had t-mobile for probably 10 years or more (ever since the R225, still got it and it still says "Voicestream" on it)

I decided to swap to sprint at the release of the iPhone 5 since T-mobile wasn't getting an official release, also I got a good deal on a plan.

I was stoked to finally not have to use an unlocked iphone. However, when I turned it on, I figured I'll just install apps without wifi since the data is true unlimited. It felt like it was going EDGE or slower, so I just connected to wifi and downloaded speedtest. Turned wifi off and ran a test.

I was constantly getting speeds of 200kbps / 300kbps or so with 4/5 bars of reception.
    With t-mobile, I was getting 8mb / 3mb easily everywhere.

Is this just a problem with a setting in my phone? Last iphone I had was an unlocked 3GS which only got edge speed on T-mobiles network.

Sorry if this has been asked before, just figured I'd ask the smart guys about this instead of googling random results.

Green Apple
    Thanks

In some areas t mobile will get 3.5g speeds sprint how ever has a very limited 4g network so you will be getting only 3G speed where ever you live and it's 3G network is slower than Verizon's I suggest you return your sprint iPhone 5 and cancel the contract if its not to late before you get slammed with a fee and get a Verizon or AT&T iPhone 5 to enjoy 15mbs down loads

Green Apple
    Thanks

X10! Get rid of it Asap. I just went thru this and I returned mine back to the store after 3 days. Sprint is absolute junk! There are LOTS of issues with them here in IL. You can hardly get a phone conversation in, let alone any kind of data. For what you're paying, go to Verizon or AT&T.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Also a side note Verizon's iPhone 5 comes unlocked so can use gsm in America or over seas but you won't be able use AT&T lte only it's 3.5g network but its still fast it's about 8mb down or u can wait for tmobile to fully roll out it 3.5g network for a really cheap price

iPhone? More like MyPhone mbeezy81's Avatar
    Thanks

Sprint sucks, their 3G is crap, 4G is limited so no point in having an iPhone 5 with them. I cancelled after 2 days and went with Verizon, The LTE is amazing on Verizon, just be prepared to pay a little bit more money because their plans are more expensive.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danyune View Post
    So I had t-mobile for probably 10 years or more (ever since the R225, still got it and it still says "Voicestream" on it)

I decided to swap to sprint at the release of the iPhone 5 since T-mobile wasn't getting an official release, also I got a good deal on a plan.

I was stoked to finally not have to use an unlocked iphone. However, when I turned it on, I figured I'll just install apps without wifi since the data is true unlimited. It felt like it was going EDGE or slower, so I just connected to wifi and downloaded speedtest. Turned wifi off and ran a test.

I was constantly getting speeds of 200kbps / 300kbps or so with 4/5 bars of reception.
    With t-mobile, I was getting 8mb / 3mb easily everywhere.

Is this just a problem with a setting in my phone? Last iphone I had was an unlocked 3GS which only got edge speed on T-mobiles network.

Sorry if this has been asked before, just figured I'd ask the smart guys about this instead of googling random results.
    BUAHAHAHAHA...pardon my laughter...but I think you should have done some research prior to getting Sprint. I too made the same mistake with the iPhone 4S because of the "unlimited data". Yes, it's cheap, but what good is it if it doesn't work? I suggest you wait till the jailbreak for the A6 processor comes out and do what I was doing until I updated to iOS6 force your iPhone to roam on Verizon towers. Do like 20-30GB a month in roaming (at night) straming Pandora or watching Netflix and you'll be done with the contract in 4months ETF free. The ESN will still be good on the phone and Sprint sends you a letter notifying you that you have 30days to find another carrier prior to them kicking you out. Sell the iPhone 5 and you can make a killing. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeezy81 View Post
    Sprint sucks, their 3G is crap, 4G is limited so no point in having an iPhone 5 with them. I cancelled after 2 days and went with Verizon, The LTE is amazing on Verizon, just be prepared to pay a little bit more money because their plans are more expensive.
    I'd rather pay more and have service available everywhere. Sometimes I go inside my house and can't receive a call, but I can get texts, horrible!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chula's Avatar
    Thanks

I did exactly the same I returned the phone and I went with At&t

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Sprint data on iphone 5 unbearably slow!
    Sprint iPhone 5 data speeds: 0.02 mbps up and down!

Terrible!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by serqio View Post
    BUAHAHAHAHA...pardon my laughter...but I think you should have done some research prior to getting Sprint. I too made the same mistake with the iPhone 4S because of the "unlimited data". Yes, it's cheap, but what good is it if it doesn't work? I suggest you wait till the jailbreak for the A6 processor comes out and do what I was doing until I updated to iOS6 force your iPhone to roam on Verizon towers. Do like 20-30GB a month in roaming (at night) straming Pandora or watching Netflix and you'll be done with the contract in 4months ETF free. The ESN will still be good on the phone and Sprint sends you a letter notifying you that you have 30days to find another carrier prior to them kicking you out. Sell the iPhone 5 and you can make a killing. Just a thought.

I'd rather pay more and have service available everywhere. Sometimes I go inside my house and can't receive a call, but I can get texts, horrible!!!
    How do you force a sprint phone to roam on Verizon for data? I need to tell a buddy about that!