+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Moving from AT&T to Verizon with iPhone 5: Questions

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
1. My contract has ended with AT&T. I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan using the iPhone 4. I want to order the iPhone 5 on Friday and move
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Moving from AT&T to Verizon with iPhone 5: Questions
    1. My contract has ended with AT&T. I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan using the iPhone 4. I want to order the iPhone 5 on Friday and move to Verizon because AT&T does not offer LTE in my city, but Verizon does. Would this be a dumb move given I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan with AT&T? I really want the LTE speeds.

2. If I do decide to go to Verizon, where should I make the preorder on Friday - apple.com or verizonwireless.com ?

My iPhone is a Part of Me thecrunked's Avatar
    Thanks

1. i am in your same situation. i have looked into my data usage and found i actually average about 1.8gbs a month with an occasional spike of 3gbs+. it really depends on how much data you are using on average, which you can check on AT&T Cell Phones, U-verse, Digital TV, DSL Internet, and Phone Service . also att pretty much doesn't offer LTE anywhere, and their 3g coverage is spotty at best IMO.

2. i will need to go to a verizon store or at least call tomorrow cause my plan is a little more complex (i have 4 lines and 1 would need to stay with att for another 6 months) but you can probably just setup your account online. because you are opening a new account and transferring numbers, i would recommend using verizonwireless.com just because they are more well setup to handle that type of transaction than apple; however apple offers much better customer service so maybe check if its even possible to do that on apple, then if not do it thru verizon.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It's probably not going to make a difference where you place the pre-order. Maybe if you place it with Apple you'll get your confirmation and order quicker straight from Apple rather than going through Verizon which then goes through Apple.

As for if this is a "dumb move" ... well a lot of people (including myself) would be dying to have unlimited data on AT&T. I have unlimited data on Verizon (that's why I moved from AT&T to VZW) but I have to say, I miss GSM 3G speeds. HOWEVER, with LTE 4G it shouldn't matter if it is GSM or CDMA regarding data speeds. It's probably not a dumb move if you don't use a lot of data. For me, if I were in that situation, I'd stick with unlimited data until 4G LTE coverage is available to me. I honestly don't use more than 4GB a month and a 5GB plan would cover me, but I absolutely hate worrying about if I'm going to go over. The problem with these carriers is they don't stop your data when you go over, they let you go over and you have to pay extra. If they had some sort of automatic data cutting service, then I'd be fine with moving to a capped data plan.

Anyhow, enough about me lol. If you don't use much data and you don't worry about going over, and LTE 4G is worth more to you than having that unlimited data, then go for it! I'd highly recommend you try to sell that account though, you could make a pretty buck with that unlimited data account. Just gotta transfer the name to the buyer.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Should I still be able to preorder online if I want to switch to Verizon but keep my number?

Thanks

I'm not sure, give Verizon a call and ask. They should be happy to know you're switching and will help you through the process.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick G. View Post
    1. My contract has ended with AT&T. I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan using the iPhone 4. I want to order the iPhone 5 on Friday and move to Verizon because AT&T does not offer LTE in my city, but Verizon does. Would this be a dumb move given I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan with AT&T? I really want the LTE speeds.

2. If I do decide to go to Verizon, where should I make the preorder on Friday - apple.com or verizonwireless.com ?
    If doing voice and data at the same time is important to you then you will NOT want to switch to Verizon. Turns out that fantastic new iPhone cannot do voice/data at the same time on Verizons network, unlike the S3, RAZR series, and a couple of other more capable phones.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I know im way late to this party, but for future reference, here is what I know.

I had the same question weighing on me for a few days. I have ATT unlimited, but their LTE network is not anywhere near me. Verizon, gets great coverage in my area... and its all LTE. So i looked into it and first I noticed that I wasn't using more than 3gb/month of data. next I read around and saw that people were still having issues with ATT throttling "heavy" users even with unlimited data... so if I waited around on ATT so I could have unlimited LTE when it finally made it's way to me, if i went over 5gb I would still probably get throttled anyway.

So taking that into account, switching to verizon was a no brainer, for me at least.

Switching your number between carriers is very simple, I've taken my current number around to every carrier there is. All you need to do is go in and open an account (or add a line to an existing account), tell them your phone number from your current provider, and you walk out talking with your number on the new carrier. I did it last week.

The reason for switching providers BEFORE ordering is; you can't get the unsubsidized phone without being on their network and having an account with an eligible upgrade.

So what you should do, is find someone who has an old phone on the network you want to switch to and go into a retail store and set up an account using the phone you borrowed. This gets your number on the network and gives you an account with a line upgrade. The reason for this is that even if you go into the store and open a new account with one of their "free on contract" phones, you are using your upgrade.... and still won't get the subsidized phone pricing when you go to order, even if you plant to return the "free phone"... that's what verizon CS told me when I called to talk before I went to the brick and mortar store to get everything situated.

Once you have an account when pre-orders are up, you just go on apple or the carriers site and order. exactly what you would expect really.

If you couldn't find a phone to use as a setup phone, you could even use a broken phones ESN... but then you would be without a phone until the new phone arrived.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,449 Times in 4,291 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    If doing voice and data at the same time is important to you then you will NOT want to switch to Verizon. Turns out that fantastic new iPhone cannot do voice/data at the same time on Verizons network, unlike the S3, RAZR series, and a couple of other more capable phones.
    Not sure this is correct. I thought one of the new features of iPhone 5 was a dual transmitter chip that allows voice and data even on CDMA now. Watch the video at Apple.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks

No for Verizon and Sprint even on 4G LTE there will be no simultaneous voice and data.

Also consider how it will be easier to go through data with 4G. Faster speeds tend to allow people to use data, in a general sense. Some people may or may not use more than what they do now on 3G vs 4G.

Also remember, Verizon switched all the plans to ShareEverything. The rates on Verizon are pretty steep since there are no longer (for new contracts) plans to choose less minutes. It's all a set price for unlimited shared talk and text. The data rates IMO are ridiculous. $30 for 2GB I think is what it is. If I didn't have my grandfathered family plan and unlimited data, I wouldn't go near Verizon, 4G or not. I really think the data rates are too expensive compared to AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. If I really had to choose, I'd choose AT&T even if I have to sacrifice 4G.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    No for Verizon and Sprint even on 4G LTE there will be no simultaneous voice and data.

Also consider how it will be easier to go through data with 4G. Faster speeds tend to allow people to use data, in a general sense. Some people may or may not use more than what they do now on 3G vs 4G.

Also remember, Verizon switched all the plans to ShareEverything. The rates on Verizon are pretty steep since there are no longer (for new contracts) plans to choose less minutes. It's all a set price for unlimited shared talk and text. The data rates IMO are ridiculous. $30 for 2GB I think is what it is. If I didn't have my grandfathered family plan and unlimited data, I wouldn't go near Verizon, 4G or not. I really think the data rates are too expensive compared to AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile. If I really had to choose, I'd choose AT&T even if I have to sacrifice 4G.
    Yea but when you hit 5gb of data on ATT you get throttled. They even admit to this and have a page about it on their site. Whats so great about "unlimited data" if you can possibly get throttled down to 3g speeds (or less even) when you reach the cap on their "unlimited plan". I guess it acts as a nice buffer to prevent overage fees, slow data is better than no data!

I think verizons shared plans go a long way to save money.... ATT is also doing similar plans. Your Shared Data-Plan Calculator: AT&T Vs. Verizon - Digits - WSJ Is a great tool to see the price comparison between the two plans. If you look you will see that they are nearly identical. It's also only $10/2gb not $30.

Neither side is the winner. Sometimes verizon is less than ATT, sometimes it goes the other way... who knows why

For example: Verizon is cheaper by $15 for 1gb than ATT is, but ATT is $30 cheaper for 10gb.... Overage cost is the same ($15).

I say choose the carrier with the best LTE coverage in your area.... I really think LTE is the reason this phone is worth having. but thats just me

As always in the end we lose and the carriers win.

There really is no "perfect choice" it's all about where you live, what you are looking to get and how much you are willing to pay.

Thanks

Verizon claims they only throttle heavy data users, they throttle me all the time any time. I get throttled on the beginning of my cycle. I use less than 5GB a month, usually around 3GB and 5GB once in a while (only happened twice this past year). AT&T at least never throttled me before I switched. I just didn't like AT&T bc of the capped data.

At least AT&T admits to the throttling, Verizon doesn't admit that it constantly throttles anyone and everyone at any time.

I'd consider that if unlimited data isn't part of the deal for any carrier, AT&T's got an upper hand with data rates. Verizon's cheapest data rate with the new switch to ShareEverything (not counting prepaid plans) 300 MB is $20 and 2GB is $30. I don't remember seeing the prices to be like that on AT&T. In fact, I believe AT&T provides 3GB for $30.

Of course there isn't a perfect choice, but considering the numbers here, Verizon's new ShareEverything plan is certainly no good for people who use a smartphone requiring data.

Edit: And also, at least AT&T lets you choose to have a shared plan or not. Verizon has restricted all contract plans to ShareEverything only. What if I don't want to share 6GB with two other people. What if I like having my allocated amount to myself. Just sayin'.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Not sure this is correct. I thought one of the new features of iPhone 5 was a dual transmitter chip that allows voice and data even on CDMA now. Watch the video at Apple.
    I am absolutely sure this is correct, as is CNet, Engadget and numerous other sites. It is a hardware problem because of design implentations. Would have required an additional antenna and there was no where to place it. The GSM version does a fallback from the LTE frequency to perform just like the 4S does when you use that voice/data feature.

Verizon claims they only throttle heavy data users, they throttle me all the time any time. I get throttled on the beginning of my cycle. I use less than 5GB a month, usually around 3GB and 5GB once in a while (only happened twice this past year). AT&T at least never throttled me before I switched. I just didn't like AT&T bc of the capped data.

At least AT&T admits to the throttling, Verizon doesn't admit that it constantly throttles anyone and everyone at any time.

I'd consider that if unlimited data isn't part of the deal for any carrier, AT&T's got an upper hand with data rates. Verizon's cheapest data rate with the new switch to ShareEverything (not counting prepaid plans) 300 MB is $20 and 2GB is $30. I don't remember seeing the prices to be like that on AT&T. In fact, I believe AT&T provides 3GB for $30.

Of course there isn't a perfect choice, but considering the numbers here, Verizon's new ShareEverything plan is certainly no good for people who use a smartphone requiring data.

Edit: And also, at least AT&T lets you choose to have a shared plan or not. Verizon has restricted all contract plans to ShareEverything only. What if I don't want to share 6GB with two other people. What if I like having my allocated amount to myself. Just sayin'.
    Let's clarify. The DO throttle on 3G, usually around 5GB. On LTE they do network optimization, based upon tower capacity and useage.
    They also require all NEW contracts on the ShareEverything plan. Existing contracts are free to change to it (you're stuck in it once you do) or to keep their existing plans, which they are free to change the amounts of minutes on, or if tiered the data amounts on individual line on.
    Last edited by Tperry; 09-22-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Thanks

I am absolutely sure this is correct, as is CNet, Engadget and numerous other sites. It is a hardware problem because of design implentations. Would have required an additional antenna and there was no where to place it. The GSM version does a fallback from the LTE frequency to perform just like the 4S does when you use that voice/data feature.
    Wow. Ok - great - thanks for clarity. Boy Apple's video is misleading then. I always knew it was a hardware problem - but Apple refers directly to a 'dual antenna' that solved an old problem. I thought they were referring to CDMA talk+surf. Must be some other solution they're referring to.

Anyway I never ever need talk and surf at same time - so its a non-issue for me.

Thanks

Let's clarify. The DO throttle on 3G, usually around 5GB. On LTE they do network optimization, based upon tower capacity and useage.
    They also require all NEW contracts on the ShareEverything plan. Existing contracts are free to change to it (you're stuck in it once you do) or to keep their existing plans, which they are free to change the amounts of minutes on, or if tiered the data amounts on individual line on.
    I'm not sure you're understanding my point. I'm throttled in the beginning of a new cycle. Please read that and understand I've had Verizon for YEARS and I know when I'm getting throttled. It doesn't start when you get up to 5GB, it starts whenever they want it to.

Second of all, I was talking about signing up for new plans. The ShareEverything I understand is not required for those who have current family plans. The OP is asking about switching to Verizon as a new customer, don't you think that applies?

Please stop disputing what I know and what I personally experience. If you ask anybody on Verizon, they'll say they get throttled any time. There are plenty of articles on that as well.

Thanks

I'm not sure you're understanding my point. I'm throttled in the beginning of a new cycle. Please read that and understand I've had Verizon for YEARS and I know when I'm getting throttled. It doesn't start when you get up to 5GB, it starts whenever they want it to.

Second of all, I was talking about signing up for new plans. The ShareEverything I understand is not required for those who have current family plans. The OP is asking about switching to Verizon as a new customer, don't you think that applies?

Please stop disputing what I know and what I personally experience. If you ask anybody on Verizon, they'll say they get throttled any time. There are plenty of articles on that as well.
    The point is, Annie, that it's not Verizon's 'policy' or in their 'agreements' with customers to throttle ANY time they want. That's what's a little potentially misleading or confusing in what you're saying. You only get throttled, in their agreement, after you've reached 5GB in any one month and ONLY from that point in the billing cycle until your billing cycle renews. That's Verizon's policy before iPhone 5 shared plans. I won't speak to your personal experience - but when disputes like this arise the burden of proof is on the person making the strong claim. Do you have any non throttled and throttled SpeedTest results you can show us as proof of your claim?
    Also how are you sure that the alleged throttled speeds aren't simply from poor or very busy coverage areas near you? A truly throttled phone at least with AT&T switches you to a 3G network that you can see on your screen when that area is normally 4G HSPA+. So with AT&T at least you always know when you're throttled with an objective result. I'll bet Verizon has a similar readout on CDMA somewhere - if not on your phone then on your account when you log in. I have Verizon for my iPad 4G and AT&T for my phones so I admit to having less experience with Verizon. But your claim doesn't match what I read nor does it match my friends' experiences with Verizon data on iPhone 4S and prior.

Thanks

Ok, so you're saying Verizon tells you they throttle at 5GB but they don't tell you they throttle you regardless of how much you've used. Yeah, that's my point. They don't tell you.

I know plenty of people with Verizon who get frustrated when a simple web page won't load or will load very slowly, then a few minutes later it starts working fine again. Do we consider that throttling? If not, then maybe it's just the coverage. I really doubt that.

Consider this: I'm in the same workplace for 10 hours a day sitting in the same spot when I'm on my phone. I get great coverage here at work. I get terrible coverage at home, so I really have nothing to say about it when I'm at home. I'm in the same spot at work all the time, in the same chair, at the same table, why would coverage vary? One moment it's fast as can be, the next the loading bar is creeping slowly across the screen.

I'm not saying the throttle lasts a long time, but it gets irritating when for 10 minutes it's good then for the next two minutes it barely loads anything properly without a refresh.

If you don't agree, that's fine. I'm sure people would want as much user experience from different people as possible. Just one opinion and experience certainly isn't enough to sway most people. This includes my own as just one experience. But honestly, do you really buy into if a company says they do or don't do something, they actually truly follow through with it with 100% legitimacy 100% of the time?
    Moving from AT&T to Verizon with iPhone 5: Questions-photo-1.pngMoving from AT&T to Verizon with iPhone 5: Questions-photo-2.pngMoving from AT&T to Verizon with iPhone 5: Questions-photo-3.png
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-22-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks

Ok, so you're saying Verizon tells you they throttle at 5GB but they don't tell you they throttle you regardless of how much you've used. Yeah, that's my point. They don't tell you.

I know plenty of people with Verizon who get frustrated when a simple web page won't load or will load very slowly, then a few minutes later it starts working fine again. Do we consider that throttling? If not, then maybe it's just the coverage. I really doubt that.

Consider this: I'm in the same workplace for 10 hours a day sitting in the same spot when I'm on my phone. I get great coverage here at work. I get terrible coverage at home, so I really have nothing to say about it when I'm at home. I'm in the same spot at work all the time, in the same chair, at the same table, why would coverage vary? One moment it's fast as can be, the next the loading bar is creeping slowly across the screen.

I'm not saying the throttle lasts a long time, but it gets irritating when for 10 minutes it's good then for the next two minutes it barely loads anything properly without a refresh.

If you don't agree, that's fine. I'm sure people would want as much user experience from different people as possible. Just one opinion and experience certainly isn't enough to sway most people. This includes my own as just one experience. But honestly, do you really buy into if a company says they do or don't do something, they actually truly follow through with it with 100% legitimacy 100% of the time?
    Attachment 612756Attachment 612757Attachment 612758
    Well, the issue is you're a "heavy heavy" data user topping out at 13GB. My goodness what do you download to your phone????? I am a heavy user and can barely get near 2GB of my own use. Are you watching Netflix from your phone a lot?? But I can tell you that from kilobyte #1 to 5GB you are NOT throttled. Those speed results you posted were after you went over 5GB. And actually in some places - that's the normal speed of 3G. So for a short time, at the beginning of your billing cycle you're getting full speed. Please post some speed results after your bill renews next. Would love to compare.

What I know for 100% sure is that Verizon isn't throttling you 'at will'. They only throttle when you go over 5GB.

Thanks

It says .127 GB...I certainly did not use 13GB in 4 days. You didn't move the decimals enough places.

In case you don't trust Verizon's calculator, Google says:
    Moving from AT&T to Verizon with iPhone 5: Questions-screen-shot-2012-09-22-9.02.27-pm.png

So let's see...I'm not at 5GB. I very rarely go over or even get near 5GB in fact. So those results up there, those are the results of my new billing cycle which you can see starts on the 18th. It's the 22nd, the 4th day. I haven't even used half a GB. So having a flux from 1.7mb/s down to below .5 or .7 mb/s, I'd consider that throttling. If you look at the times, I did it within a span of 10-15 minutes. If I captured it in a longer span of time, you'd see a larger flux change. There are times it goes down to .2 mb/s.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-22-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks

It says .127 GB...I certainly did not use 13GB in 4 days. You didn't move the decimals enough places.

In case you don't trust Verizon's calculator, Google says:
    Attachment 612773
    My error. I though it was GB. So you ARE in the early part of your billing cycle? Those speed results you posted, as I mentioned in last post too, are speeds I get pretty commonly with just 3G service - unthrottled. I have heard stories about some AT&T people getting stuck in throttled mode after they go over one month. All they had to do was call and get themselves removed from the throttle list. Have you tried that?

Thanks

Like I said, I'm in the 4th day of my cycle. I honestly don't know why you keep finding reasons to deny it. I showed you the speeds, is it necessary to put up video proof of the performance as well? When it fluxes down to .2 or .5, I'm sure you would be able to see slow webpage loading or video loading in youtube vs. when it's up at 1.7mb/s. Of course I'm not going to go out of my way to do that, I'm just trying to make a point.

What do you consider "throttling" if varying speeds of data and slowed performance for a segment of time is considered not? So I'm going to call Verizon and tell them to stop throttling all three lines that I have, along with the 2 lines my 2 friends have? I don't think we're on a "throttle list" considering how this occurs all the time regardless of where you are in your cycle and how much you have used (under 5GB). Like you said, Verizon doesn't openly announce throttling anybody except data hogs. They're not going to admit to throttling anybody who hasn't exceeded 5GB.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-22-2012 at 07:17 PM.