+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Moving from AT&T to Verizon with iPhone 5: Questions

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
Originally Posted by i.Annie Like I said, I'm in the 4th day of my cycle. I honestly don't know why you keep finding reasons to deny it. I showed you
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,072 Times in 4,562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Like I said, I'm in the 4th day of my cycle. I honestly don't know why you keep finding reasons to deny it. I showed you the speeds, is it necessary to put up video proof of the performance as well? When it fluxes down to .2 or .5, I'm sure you would be able to see slow webpage loading or video loading in youtube vs. when it's up at 1.7mb/s. Of course I'm not going to go out of my way to do that, I'm just trying to make a point.

What do you consider "throttling" if varying speeds of data and slowed performance for a segment of time is considered not? So I'm going to call Verizon and tell them to stop throttling all three lines that I have, along with the 2 lines my 2 friends have? I don't think we're on a "throttle list" considering how this occurs all the time regardless of where you are in your cycle and how much you have used (under 5GB). Like you said, Verizon doesn't openly announce throttling anybody except data hogs. They're not going to admit to throttling anybody who hasn't exceeded 5GB.
    Yes they do. They're governed by business practice rules they have to follow. One of the good and bad parts of American business is all the regulation. At&T uses throttling lists. I'll bet Verizon does too. If they say they do - and you're not on the list them there's only one other explanation - you're in a bad device area. In buildings surrounded by metal I will get terrible data speeds too. Data speed is affected by antenna access for sure. Tell us what Verizon says. I'll be interested to hear.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Dude...lol seriously. I have 3 bars. 3 bars gets me pretty fast performance here. The issue is, sometimes it drops and takes a bit longer than expected. I think I'm pretty much done here, with the proof-posting and the point-making. I'm sure you're very loyal to Verizon and I respect that. That's good for you. You have an opinion and that's fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,739 Times in 5,979 Posts

Remember the Purple Dinosaur, Barney? One of his favorite songs was "the song that never ends". A no win...

Thanks

That's quite an analogy you have there Bo

Thanks

Dude...lol seriously. I have 3 bars. 3 bars gets me pretty fast performance here. The issue is, sometimes it drops and takes a bit longer than expected. I think I'm pretty much done here, with the proof-posting and the point-making. I'm sure you're very loyal to Verizon and I respect that. That's good for you. You have an opinion and that's fine.
    I am not even a Verizon customer! Lol!! I'm with AT&T. That makes me uniquely objective I would think. You have a 'belief' about Verizon, I'm only interested in facts, Annie. Facts are wonderful things. They're not subject to our feelings and perceptions. They're just facts. What are the facts here?

1)Something is indeed affecting your speed - you're either on a throttle list or it's something else affecting your speed.
    2) What it's "not" is a capricious arbitrary throttling by Verizon - just because "they can".

Let us know what Verizon tells you, please.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 09-22-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    I have Verizon for my iPad 4G and AT&T for my phones so I admit to having less experience with Verizon..
    Perhaps I somehow misinterpreted "I have Verizon" in that sentence. So bc it's only data you don't really have Verizon. Just wondering.

So you're speaking on behalf of a carrier service that you do not have? Just a little contradictory there.

But okay, Verizon doesn't throttle. Because you said so, which is fine for you to voice your opinions. Then so be it, Verizon does not throttle anybody at all below 5GB of usage.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not sure you're understanding my point. I'm throttled in the beginning of a new cycle. Please read that and understand I've had Verizon for YEARS and I know when I'm getting throttled. It doesn't start when you get up to 5GB, it starts whenever they want it to.

Second of all, I was talking about signing up for new plans. The ShareEverything I understand is not required for those who have current family plans. The OP is asking about switching to Verizon as a new customer, don't you think that applies?

Please stop disputing what I know and what I personally experience. If you ask anybody on Verizon, they'll say they get throttled any time. There are plenty of articles on that as well.
    I'm an anybody on Verizon, and have never been throttled on my 2 phones,neither has my wife, my son or daughter. Not on 3G nor LTE. What some people refer to as throttling can be tower congestion. Is your speed problem 24/7? I would be making some *611 calls and complaining if it starts on the first day of your billing cycle and raising holy hell. If it is not 24/7 I would still call and complain as it appears that they have a severe congestion problem in your area at certain times. As for the plans, the clarification was because a LOT of existing customers get sold into the ShareEverything plan at upgrade time because the store rep tells them that is the only option with any subsidized upgrade.

It says .127 GB...I certainly did not use 13GB in 4 days. You didn't move the decimals enough places.

In case you don't trust Verizon's calculator, Google says:
    Attachment 612773

So let's see...I'm not at 5GB. I very rarely go over or even get near 5GB in fact. So those results up there, those are the results of my new billing cycle which you can see starts on the 18th. It's the 22nd, the 4th day. I haven't even used half a GB. So having a flux from 1.7mb/s down to below .5 or .7 mb/s, I'd consider that throttling. If you look at the times, I did it within a span of 10-15 minutes. If I captured it in a longer span of time, you'd see a larger flux change. There are times it goes down to .2 mb/s.
    From those speed tests it looks more like a tower/congestion problem. Again, call *611, get ahold of technical support and tell them you suspect there may be a spotty or overloaded tower near your work. They will want the address and they will normally get a crew out pretty quick to check it. Every time I've called because of spotty slow throughput they have handled it fairly quickly and called me back about what they found. I've been with Verizon for around a decade now.

The problem with these carriers is they don't stop your data when you go over, they let you go over and you have to pay extra. If they had some sort of automatic data cutting service, then I'd be fine with moving to a capped data plan.
    One of the nice things about Android jelly bean is it has that capability cooked in. You can tell it your top limit, have it send you a warning at another set limit. Once you reach your max amount the OS will automatically turn off data.
    Last edited by Tperry; 09-22-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    From those speed tests it looks more like a tower/congestion problem. Again, call *611, get ahold of technical support and tell them you suspect there may be a spotty or overloaded tower near your work. They will want the address and they will normally get a crew out pretty quick to check it. Every time I've called because of spotty slow throughput they have handled it fairly quickly and called me back about what they found. I've been with Verizon for around a decade now.
    Another voice of objectivity! Well stated!

When I have a problem with a company's service I get it fixed. I don't just make simplistic unsubstantiated claims about them ( "They're throttling me!"). Let's get this problem fixed for iAnnie! :-) Those speeds suck! And she shouldn't have to live with them. I wouldn't!! ;-)
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 09-23-2012 at 11:58 AM.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12