Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: iPhone will not turn on
03-20-2012, 06:29 AM #1iPhone will not turn on
I have an iPhone 4 16 GB with a jailbroken iOS 5.0.1
I was on the computer last night not really using it but checking for texts, and it wouldn't turn on. The phone had at least 70% battery left, and I cannot turn it on. I have tried entering DFU, hard reset, just holding home, just holding sleep, pretty much every standard button combo.
Whenever I plug my phone in, nothing happens, iTunes doesn't recognize it, whenever I try using redsn0w to do the recovery fix it isn't recognized, my computer doesn't see it's existence.
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what happened or if possible a way to fix it. I will be calling Apple support to see if they can help me, but I doubt it and I also think the warranty may be up.
Any help or feedback is appreciated
03-20-2012, 08:49 AM #2
sounds like the phone has some water damage. Did you buy it from someone? If so, I suggest returning it to the seller as Apple care does not cover liquid damage. You can try to open the phone to see if the white dot is "red", that means liquid damage. They sell kits all over eBay and other places to repair iPhones and it's actually quite easy to open and take a peek.
03-20-2012, 10:04 PM #3
It hasn't seen any liquids that I know of, definitely not within the last 3 months, and before that it had on the Griffin case linked below. I contacted a friend that works at an Apple support call center and he suggested that the battery might be 100% dead, and to plug it in for 15 min then hold sleep and home for 3 minutes and that didn't work, and the warranty is up by 3 months, so I will call and see if I can convince a replacement.
As before, any insight would be GREATLY appreciated, i'd almost be willing to give a paypal donation to who can figure this out if it saves me buying a
03-21-2012, 08:24 AM #4
1. unplug the phone from a power source.
2. hold the home button for about 8 seconds
3. plug the phone in and continue to hold the home button until you see the iTunes + USB cable on the screen asking to sync with iTunes.
If this doesn't work, you're phone is garbage at this point.
03-21-2012, 10:52 PM #5
1. I bought it off someone I know of, He stated that he barely took it out of the house, always afraid he would break it. He then bought a Samsung Rugby right in front of me at the Telus store, so it kinda seems like he was telling the truth.
2. The headphone port is still white and not red, I haven't taken it apart just because I was hoping to avoid that if at all possible.
3. The phone was working great, it had some battery issues about a month (early February) when it would either not charge proportionately (1 hour = 15%) or die very fast. Lately it was working great, losing power at about normal timing, then all of a sudden nothing would happen.
I called Apple tech support and they just suggested I get a replacement phone for 160+shipping+tax.
I just tried the recovery mode, with no luck although I appreciate the help!
Also if I seem like a jerkwad, sorry I'm just frustrated haha
Last edited by Woodbg91; 03-21-2012 at 10:58 PM.