Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon in states, GSM when not

My iPhone is a Part of Me n0m0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Verizon in states, GSM when not
    I have a Verizon account and happy with it.
    I purchased a iPh4s and requested Verizon to unlock for when I travel overseas.
    I travel 2 or 3 times a year and usually purchase a prepaid card for wherever I am during those times.
    I was wondering if I can insert a SIM card from either ATT or T-Mo when in the states?

I have no plan to drop Verizon just want to know if I can play around with it or not.

Thanks
    --
    JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Support P.E.T.A. [PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS]

Thanks

No one can answer this?
    Is this a hard question or what?
    --
    JW

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Thanks

Is Modmyi forums no longer a viable place to get information?
    It seems dead and I remember it to be a high traffic communicative place back in the day.

Sorry to see this forum this way.
    It doesn't seem like just my question that is not being posted on but most looking at the last post time posted.
    --
    JW

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Sorry we seem to have our hands full in the more popular forums. Verizon-specific threads don't pop up quite as often.

In case you're still wondering, this topic has been covered already but I can run it over again. The device will not work with another carrier in the US. Outside of, I believe it can but it won't run on T-Mo or AT&T. Why? Sorry I'm not as technical as I'd like to be and can't answer that. But I'm sure it has to do with the carriers themselves.

You're welcomed to check out the other forum sections! I could try to dig out that thread that discussed this topic...it was a while ago so I can't guarantee I'll find it. But yeah, it's not made to be this simple where we can have a VZW iPhone unlocked running US GSM services. That's just not how Apple intends it.

Thanks

Thanks
    If you could PLEASE direct me to a few threads I would GREATLY appreciate it.
    I did a Google search before posting and maybe I used the wrong keywords but I did not find anything in respect to unlocked CDMA iPh4s devices.

I have my V account and its running well.
    I requested and was informed from Verizon that my device has been unlocked and when I insert a international SIM it should work.

I inserted a H2o SIM and my device power cycled off and on looked like it said SIM needs to be activated and then I got a gray screen that said that I need to insert a SIM an approved from my carrier.

I don't understand since my device was supposed to be unlocked for a foreign SIM card.

Any idea???

Thanks
    --
    JW

Thanks

Hard to find when our search function is broken. It's unlocked for foreign use, AT&T/T-Mo is not included for a non-factory unlocked iPhone. So your device would have to be a factory unlocked to use a US GSM carrier.

Like I said, I can't really explain why bc I'm not real techy about the details. I'd really recommend asking this question in the more popular forum areas, such as general iPhone chat. Someone who knows these details will likely be able to answer why it won't work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Hard to find when our search function is broken. It's unlocked for foreign use, AT&T/T-Mo is not included for a non-factory unlocked iPhone. So your device would have to be a factory unlocked to use a US GSM carrier.

Like I said, I can't really explain why bc I'm not real techy about the details. I'd really recommend asking this question in the more popular forum areas, such as general iPhone chat. Someone who knows these details will likely be able to answer why it won't work.
    Well I tried to search via Google Search and assumed that I was using the wrong terms or words since I only got back unlocking ATT or T-Mo.
    Since I have a H2o SIM I would think it would have worked, but it did not.

Thanks
    --
    JW

Thanks

H2O is a division of AT&T. I'd imagine that's why it didn't work. It's also technically a US GSM carrier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    H2O is a division of AT&T. I'd imagine that's why it didn't work. It's also technically a US GSM carrier.
    Thought they were in Europe/??
    OK so what card do I need to get and where can I get it since I'm still in the sates?
    I want to make sure this is unlocked before my future business trip.

Thanks
    --
    JW

Thanks

Are you talking about O2?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quemans View Post
    So your device would have to be a factory unlocked to use a US GSM carrier.
    Yeah according to Verizon they did, but I am interested in a IS carrier SIM.
    --
    JW

your device would have to be a factory unlocked to use a US GSM carrier.