+ Reply
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to update my jailbroken iPhone to iOS 5

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
Hi, I have an iPhone 4 running 4.2.10 and its jailbroken. I would like to upgrade to iOS 5. I need to know do I have to restore my iPhone
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How to update my jailbroken iPhone to iOS 5
    Hi, I have an iPhone 4 running 4.2.10 and its jailbroken. I would like to upgrade to iOS 5. I need to know do I have to restore my iPhone to be non jailbroken before upgrading to iOS 5? And if so, how do I do that? Or could I just hit the upgrade button in iTunes to upgrade to iOS 5? Thanks for your help!

Livin the iPhone Life R.Mortera's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if you want to go straight to iOS 5 without jailbreak, then just hit the Restore button on iTunes an you'll be set.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok I did just hit restore then I got an error code 3194, when I went to additional information it had a few troubleshooting questions and everything is correct. Do you know what I should do?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Remondelli For This Useful Post:

shatil007 (05-22-2013)

Thanks

have you used tiny umbrella or manually made changes to your hosts file?

if you have used tiny umbrella you need to open it back up then goto the advanced tab and uncheck the line that says "Set hosts to cydia on exit"

if you have made changes to your hosts file manually you need to re-open the file and remove any changes.

after either of these you need to reboot then do the update or restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No, I've never used tiny umbrella nor have I ever changed my hosts file. What can I do??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have a jailbroken iphone 3gs and when I tried to upgrade to ios5, now I am stuck to the phone's activation. The sim is not recognize anymore. Is there any way I can bypass this? It looks like I need to jailbreak and unlock this again. Am I right? Please help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help!
    I have one of the first Verizon iphone 4 still running 4.2.6 and JB'd with greenpoison.

I have been avoiding Carrier Updates / Upgrades for the sodtware.

Like an idiot I did not save the SHSH when jailbroke it.

I went to do the update to 5.0 but it wont accept..
    my phone i stuck in recovery mode and ive done everything to get it out of it.
    DFU reset, tiny umbrella recovery fix and nothing.
    I've also tried to restore the device with the 4.2.7 software again and it still wont accept. nor the 5.0

what do i do??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The following prompt is of significance for me, given that I have 4.2.6 running with GreenPoison and I have been avoiding updates. Please let me know what comes of this. That is, do I have to update?

I don't think I "saved the SHSH" when I JBroke as referrred to below... what is more concerning is that I am not sure what that means

I love running the jailbreak mainly for MyWi and customization, but am a novice and am worried about such a circumstance.

-J

holdown
    Help!

I have one of the first Verizon iphone 4 still running 4.2.6 and JB'd with greenpoison.

I've also tried to restore the device with the 4.2.7 software again and it still wont accept. nor the 5.0

what do i do??

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello holdown,

I am also a Verizon iPhone4 user (running 4.2.6) who jailbroke (the very first day I got my new phone, Feb 11th) using greenpois0n RC5 beta 4.

I also have refused to upgrade my phone because 1) it has been working great and 2) the process seems pretty scary. But point #1 is quickly fading now that iOS 5 is out, as some apps I have cannot be upgraded until I upgrade to a newer iOS, and the new iOS 5 has some nice features I'd like to enjoy...

...So here I am searching Google for my first time to learn how to upgrade a jailbroken iPhone and I found this thread. We have a lot in common, and I did save my original files from my Verizon phone before jailbreaking, so I decided to register to post up and see if we can help each other out.

When I used greenpois0n, it created two files: kernelcache.release.n92 (5.51 MB) and iBSS.n92ap (146 KB). I don't know what either of these are but I am assuming they are the SHSH you are talking about, and hoping they are useful to you, I have uploaded them to my server for download here: http://bigmike.marlincrawler.com/fil...izon-4.2.6.rar (5.65 MB)

I suppose my first question pertaining to the topic is, how do I go about backing up all my Apps and data? Like my txt messages and contact list? I _EXTREMELY_ _HATE_ iTunes but understand I will have to use it. I just updated to the latest version (10.5) and am currently downloading the iOS 5 update (781.9 MB).

I found this new page: http://www.coolestguyplanet.net/upgr...-with-redsn0w/ which is very informative. I don't know if this even helps or not but I will keep this updated with whatever I figure out / don't figure out :P

-Huusoku

Quote Originally Posted by holdown View Post

what do i do??
    Last edited by Huusoku; 11-08-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Once you jump up to 5.x you're device can be jailbroke... If you're currently on another carrier you cant downgrade even with sh files... You'll be able to, but the phone wont be able to read the meid number anymore... I think its because of the baseband upgrade that occurs...

If u havent fully upraded the phone yet you can put it in pwn'ed dfu and restore to whichever version sh file you have... Since you said you got the phone on 4.2.6 and jailbroke it.. As long as you confirmed with cydia servers to save youre file you should be good.. I have 2 verizon iphones bith flashed... One on 4.2.6... And one on 5.0... The 5.0 is nice but i dont like the teathering aspect of the jailbrake... It works for me but i always gotta Make sure its charged and i dont play around with apps or anything too extreme because right now 5.x and up sh files dont mean jack when it comes to restoring
    Last edited by maxridgewood; 11-29-2011 at 11:03 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

maxridgewood,

Thanks for the informative reply. Can you offer advice on how to upgrade a phone that has already been jailbroke? How can I backup all of my contacts and text messages? How can I backup all of my apps?

Thanks!
    Huusoku

Green Apple
    Thanks

The easiest way to back up contacts is to start a google voice account... Add all your contact thru there first and then sync them in the second itunes tab... As far as apps go i use iphone explorer and xcode... I used a program before called pgkbackup or something and it worked on 4.2.6 when reloaded... I dont know if it will work after the upgrade.. Any essential apps... i would make a list of by goin thru cydia and selecting the packages tab on the second to last tab... That will only backup your packages via cydia standard repo's... Any additional repositories youve added wont apply unless u add the repos back before pgkrestore.... Installious programs i did with iphone explorer and xcode.. Therotically u could use ifile...I just dont know which way you would reinstall Via ifile...

Make sure of two things...
    A... If u have to have a jailbroken device and have to have an unteather stick to 4.2.8... U must already have the sh files saved locally... Cydia servers might still work... But i wouldnt relie on them...
    And B... Make sure that u wont want to go back to any firmware under 5.x...
    Ive read u can go back wit the gsm models.. But i dont believe the baseband can read itself once upgraded... If u can make a custom package and maintain the baseband u might be able to get away with it... But that feature isnt available via redsn0w or sn0wbreeze... For the cdma... Nor could i get itunes to accept a custom 5.0...
    Bottom line... Once you cross that threashold from 4.2.10 to 5.x youre changing the way it boots and i dont know if it can be flashed... I know on 4.2.10 i was able to flash to metro.. And then upgraded to 5... But im not sure that you can flash the phone while it sits on 5.0.x
    Last edited by maxridgewood; 11-29-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What sh files do you have stored with cydia?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

R Mortera and EVERYONE else who didnt bother to read what the guy is askjng help ABOUT,Your response in no way answers the guys question. He said he had an ALREADY jailbroken phone. From what I know about JB,which is not a whole lot unfortunately , but I'm working on that,your advice is DANGEROUS!!! it may get this guy a bricked device. There are issues Of saved shsh blobs preserved or non preserved baseband, having the correct iOS IPSW, this being in the past having to be CUSTOM MADE. Gsm VS CDMA. many issues. Your answer is lame inappropriate misleading and no damm help whatsoever. In the future plz don't give advice unless it ACTUALLY addresses the question being asked. And covers all attendant issues. it's a waste of everybody's time. Thank you.
    Last edited by Benny Lava; 11-22-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,784 Times in 6,877 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
    Your response in no way answers the guys question. He said he had an ALREADY jailbroken phone. From what I know about JB,which is not a whole lot unfortunately , but I'm working on that, of the opinion your advice is DANGEROUS!!! it may get this guy a bricked device. There are issues Of saved shsh blobs preserved or non preserved baseband, having the correct iOS IPSW, this being in the past having to be CUSTOM MADE. Gsm VS CDMA. many issues. Your answer is lame inappropriate misleading and no damm help whatsoever. In the future plz don't give advice unless it ACTUALLY addresses the question being asked. And covers all attendant issues. it's a waste of everybody's time. Thank you.
    You know this thread is a year old right? And who's advise are you referring to?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

And it lookS likE he actually took your advice and got an ERROR code. I rest my case!!

New to forum so unsure as to how website actually posts my " quick reply" apparently it does not post in the manner I was hoping. I edited my post to clear up this question.
    Last edited by Benny Lava; 11-22-2012 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
    And it lookS likE he actually took your advice and got an ERROR code. I rest my case!!

New to forum so unsure as to how website actually posts my " quick reply" apparently it does not post in the manner I was hoping. I edited my post to clear up this question.
    The OP stated he wanted to go to 5.0 but was scared to do so because the phone was jailbroken. What R. Mortera suggested was spot on. The guy "at that time" could simply restore to 5.0 and be fine. He would obviously lose his jailbreak but nothing would go wrong with the phone. Baseband in this case is a non-issue as the phone in question is a CDMA iPhone so there was no need to preserve it or anything like that.

The error 3194 he experienced when trying to restore was a common issue with people restoring to 5.0, it is a simple hosts file issue where his hosts file on his computer was pointed at cydia instead of Apple, a successful restore to 5.0 needed the hosts file to be pointed at Apple to get past this error. Tiny umbrella was the main culprit during this time for changing people's hosts file to cydia without them knowing leading to a lot of people getting 3194 error. This error did not in any way have anything to do with what R. Mortera suggested the guy do.

In any case most of this information is out of date now anyway since this was a year ago and Apple no longer signs 5.0 firmware which is where SHSH would come into play.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Simon thank you. Now that's a damm POST! info out the wazoo!! You just answered several questions I've had for quite some time. I wish more people would put details as per the restore or JB Process.It's usually just "shs into your phone bro!" A lot pf people have NO CLUEwhat that simple phrase actually means. Amd that it involves 3 party software and the installation thereof.Thank god i do.Freaking apple! This is a significant amount of info to digest just to be able to "treat" your phone as your own. Even if it's adding a simPle SMS ringtone. Much less anything really super duper. once again thank you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hello Simon.I have a question.I have an iphone 4 verizon 4.2.6 ios 1.0.05 baseband already jailbroken phone. I have been wanting to upgrade to 5.1.1 for some time. YOu stated eariler in this post the baseband on a cdma phone is a non issue.Why is this so?So what other issues are there if I wanted to upgrade to 5.1.1. What would un-jailbreak my phone in this whole process?I want an unthethered JB once I upgrade to 5x.Can I use absinthe 2.0.4.If not? If I download the ispw(correct term,file??) ios 5.1.1 (which Ive done)do I need to use redsnow(I DL'd 0.9.14b1) Do I need to backup shsh blobs? I checked cydia on my phone. Its says shsh 5.1, 5.1.1, 6.0.1 on main screen under "home". Does this mean cydia has already backed them up for me.If so shoudl I still backup blobs locally? any other issues Im not covering at this time? Thanks for your time.

Thanks

Baseband is a non issue because baseband only matters when you need to unlock, which a CDMA iPhone does not. Since you have 5.1.1 SHSH you would use redsnow to stitch your 5.1.1 to a 5.1.1 firmware and restore to that in itunes.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

shatil007 (05-22-2013)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast