+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked 4S can't be used on CDMA networks. But why?

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
My evil plan for world domination started with getting rid of AT&T in the US and switch to Verizon while using local GSM carriers when I'm traveling overseas. Seems I'll
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Unlocked 4S can't be used on CDMA networks. But why?
    My evil plan for world domination started with getting rid of AT&T in the US and switch to Verizon while using local GSM carriers when I'm traveling overseas. Seems I'll have to put those plans on hold...

What's weird is that the 4S has a dual CDMA/GSM chip, doesn't it? If so, why the restriction? Is it because of how complicated the setup process would be for CDMA carriers? Is it technically possible that the jailbreak community might find a way around the restriction?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't see what you're trying to prove.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm trying to understand if the limitation on unlocked phones being only for GSM carriers can be circumvented by an eventual jailbreak or if it's something that is not possible because of the way CDMA phones are set up.

I'm not familiar with how the CDMA iPhone gets its carrier settings, so that's why I'm asking.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Agent929's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by planktonika View Post
    I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm trying to understand if the limitation on unlocked phones being only for GSM carriers can be circumvented by an eventual jailbreak or if it's something that is not possible because of the way CDMA phones are set up.

I'm not familiar with how the CDMA iPhone gets its carrier settings, so that's why I'm asking.
    I would think that if there's a will there's a way. I'm waiting to see what the hackers come up with.
    War is my mission. Killing is my ambition.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

CDMA devices needed to have their ESINs entered in manually to work on the network. GSM only need a sim to be swapped out.

CDMA do not have a chip to swap out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    CDMA devices needed to have their ESINs entered in manually to work on the network. GSM only need a sim to be swapped out.

CDMA do not have a chip to swap out.
    So would you say there will or would not be a chance? I honestly don't know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Nope because there would be a need to have access to Sprint or Verizon's database to put in your ESIN on your account.

Sprint used to be open about adding any ESIN. I used to have phones that I bought from all over the world and would just call them up to add it. Not sure how they are now. Been with ATT fro a long time now.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Nope because there would be a need to have access to Sprint or Verizon's database to put in your ESIN on your account.

Sprint used to be open about adding any ESIN. I used to have phones that I bought from all over the world and would just call them up to add it. Not sure how they are now. Been with ATT fro a long time now.
    Listen to this man, for he is right.

Sprint and Verizon manually set up their phones through the use of software. That is why the CDMA iPhone 4 didn't have a SIM card slot. Unlock is short for, "SIM unlock" which means allowing the use of alien SIM cards that are not familiar to the phone's normal carrier. Unlocked iPhone's are sold without a carrier so there are no boundaries. But you still need to get a SIM card from a carrier for it to work. You can't do that for CDMA.

Thanks

Ok got ya.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Listen to this man, for he is right.
    Man? He?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Couldn't you call Verizon or sprint and get them to add the iPhones ESN to one of the lines on your account, the when yu were out of the states you could just stick a SIM in there? Maybe even call Verizon and ask them to suspend that phone line for a few days, so that the phone would use the GSM band instead of CDMA