+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 firmware 4.2.8 keyboard locking up!

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
So here recently my keyboard has been locking up terribly bad. Respringing, rebooting, restarting will not fix it. I uninstalled bitesms and CK still was acting up. Then i uninstalled
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone 4 firmware 4.2.8 keyboard locking up!
    So here recently my keyboard has been locking up terribly bad. Respringing, rebooting, restarting will not fix it. I uninstalled bitesms and CK still was acting up. Then i uninstalled mobile substrate, that did the trick but i was wondering what would have caused this so i can stear clear from that tweak, FOREVER!!! lol. I had just recently jailbroke it with jailbreakme 3.0 if that helps any as well.

Thanks

Had the same issue noticed after I downloaded "callbar" I think it's called nothing worked for me had to restore now on 4.2.9 ; ( since can't jailbreak thinking on going iOS 5 beta3

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

I don't think it's safe to not have mobilesubstrate. If your device crashes for whatever reason (say...an app fails or Cydia tweak is incompatible) you won't be able to recover from it and you'll have to restore. Mobilesubstrate protects your phone from that, that's why Safe Mode occurs after a crash on the Springboard, because of mobilesubstrate. You should consider reinstalling it. The problem I really doubt is within it but within something else you installed with Cydia. It could also just be the jb didn't go right, so a redo might be in order.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I don't think it's safe to not have mobilesubstrate. If your device crashes for whatever reason (say...an app fails or Cydia tweak is incompatible) you won't be able to recover from it and you'll have to restore. Mobilesubstrate protects your phone from that, that's why Safe Mode occurs after a crash on the Springboard, because of mobilesubstrate. You should consider reinstalling it. The problem I really doubt is within it but within something else you installed with Cydia. It could also just be the jb didn't go right, so a redo might be in order.
    OTOH,
    there are a myriad of addons and hacks that ride on top of MobileSubstrate,
    many of which actually CAN make your phone less stable, and cause any and all kinds of grief and misery.

The original poster may not be far off-
    however the fix in these cases is to disable the mobilesubstrate addons and hacks, not mobilesubstrate itself.

If you want to use a jailbroken phone, and are not a gonzo like geohot or saurik,
    you're far far far far far better off running mobilesubstrate than not. And ripping it out of a running jailbroken system could result in "bad things" happening, yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,201 Times in 1,923 Posts

I always enjoy your breakdowns of my responses raduga. It's like a super detailed version of what I'm trying to say Lol thanks though, I always learn something from you.