+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Simultaneous voice and data

is a discussion within the

General Verizon / Sprint / CDMA iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone on Verizon / Sprint / CDMA

section;
My employee just got the new Thunderbolt and I was playing around with it. The LTE network is not available in my area yet, so it only gets 3G coverage,
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Simultaneous voice and data
    My employee just got the new Thunderbolt and I was playing around with it. The LTE network is not available in my area yet, so it only gets 3G coverage, yet it was able to do simultaneous voice and data.

All the posts I have seen about simultaneous voice and data on CDMA have stated that it wasn't possible on CDMA. So how is it possible that the thunderbolt can do it while in 3G, but the Verizon IPhone cannot?

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Their is a different antenna installed on that phone that what is installed on the iPhone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

LTE is not CDMA. But if the phone is not on LTE service coverage, like not in your area, then you will not get voice and data at same time because it will be reverting back to using CDMA chip.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Cer0 you are wrong. LTE IS NOT in my area of San Bernardino County, CA and I personally used the phone. I surfed the Internet while I was on a phone call and it was on 3G only, not LTE.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I stand corrected thank you. Looked it up and it is Verizon's first phone to do both over 3G at same time. It also is VErizon's first phone to use strictly sim card and not ESN like all other phones.

It seems that the CDMA spec for data and voice at same time was finalized in late 2009. It was told at that point that it would start coming around in handsets in 2010. Looks like they were off a year but this is great for Verizon users once they start coming to all handsets.

CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon
    Last edited by Cer0; 05-17-2011 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, I argued to my employee that he couldn't surf and talk at the same time and be proved me wrong. I was pleasantly surprised.

However I would never go to the thunderbolt, the battery life is so bad, you can visually see the battery meter drain down by the minute, even on 3G, I couldn't imagine how fast the battery would drain on 4g.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, LTE and CDMA are different technologies.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

anyone know or heard of any rumors about the iphone 5 having an svdo chip?
    Same username on: hondatech, 7thgenhonda, clubrsx, orlandoforums, civicforums

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    I stand corrected thank you. Looked it up and it is Verizon's first phone to do both over 3G at same time. It also is VErizon's first phone to use strictly sim card and not ESN like all other phones.

It seems that the CDMA spec for data and voice at same time was finalized in late 2009. It was told at that point that it would start coming around in handsets in 2010. Looks like they were off a year but this is great for Verizon users once they start coming to all handsets.

CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon
    That link is almost 2 years old bud. lol